2012 debates

A pretty even debate, I don't see a clear winner. Obama did a lot better than last time. IMO if you think a certain person won it probably just reflects your personal ideological preference in their answers (i mostly preferred Obama's answers).

Actually, I noticed that many liberals thought Romney won and conservatives thought Obama won. I call a tie.

Candy Crowley did a phenomenal job as moderator

She was insufferably unattractive and helped Obama out where he got into trouble.

It's really funny (and sickening) watching both of these guys clearly lying or ignoring direct questions on many questions just to score points. No wonder so many politicians are lawyers. Debates are like watching 2 lawyers shoveling out the BS trying to convince a jury (voters) who don't really know who to believe.

It was also sickening to watch two grown men act like children.

• Replies 596
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We don't know what Harper would have wanted to do because he didn't have a majority with an election 3+ years away.
When Harper lacked a majority who could know if elections were three days, or three years, away?

obama wants to give out candy to the american people by running a deficit, while romney wants to give out candy to the military industrial complex and the rich by running a deficit.

which harvard lawyer do you agree with?

Congratulations. Finally a bud post that is not aimed at harming Israel.

That's not actually the moderator's job. Your cluelessness knows no bounds. I'm not surprised though. You should really stick to the Canadian Federal section of the forum.

Really? So she should have just let him die?

She was doing the opposite of her job.

She's a journalist. Her job is the truth. She was moderating. Still, the truth.

No, I have to say I think a moderator's job, especially in this situation, is to remain unbiased and ask the questions. It's not her job to help one candidate over the other. Romney missed a huge opportunity to score some points there. Probably too stunned by her overt bias.

No, I have to say I think a moderator's job, especially in this situation, is to remain unbiased and ask the questions.

A moderator is a facilitator, and fairness monitor. This doesn't seem outside of that.

It's not her job to help one candidate over the other.

That's not what she was doing.

Romney missed a huge opportunity to score some points there. Probably too stunned by her overt bias.

Probably...or, he didn't have an answer for his lie.

A moderator is a facilitator, and fairness monitor. This doesn't seem outside of that.

That's not what she was doing.

In the beginning of the debate she certainly appeared to be favoring Obama because she was giving him more time and cutting of Romney right at 2 minutes.

In the beginning of the debate she certainly appeared to be favoring Obama because she was giving him more time and cutting of Romney right at 2 minutes.

That's not how the format worked. After the initial two minutes, there was supposed to be discussion. Romney didn't seem capable of understanding that.

I saw that part, she really did step over the line when it came to helping out Obama shen she actually tried to clarify a point about the recent terrorist attack. I don't think I've ever seen a moderator step in like that in favour of a particular candidate.

Fact Checking isn't favouring a candidate. Romney said Obama didn't call it an act of terror, which was false. The media and moderators should be holding these people accountable to the truth.

Another point about the debate. Apparently Michelle Obama also broke debate rules by leading particpant applause. So whether it's her breaking those rules, or Obama getting help from the moderator, or talking over his time limit (an extra 4 minutes, plus an extra 5 from the previous debate he got shellacked in, for a total of almost 10 more minutes of speaking time), they really pretty pathetic.

Really grasping at straws here, bud.

No, as a moderator, her job is not the "truth". I'm not sure if you're just pretending to be stupid, or if it's for real.

Oh rubbish. Of course she was biased. It's not up to the moderator to call either one of the candidates on their comments. That's what the other candidate is for.

Well said. Moderators are suppose to make sure the candidates are following the debate rules. It's not their job to judge the validity of a candidates answer. I'm not surprised that the Obama fanboys of the forum aren't aware of that.

Care to elaborate other than "he's lying"

Romney said that Obama, in his Rose Garden remarks, refused to call it a terrorist act.

But Obama did call it a terrorist act.

Either Romney is unaware of what actually transpired, but castigated the President for it anyway...or he was lying outright.

Those are the only two choices, since the demonstrable truth is available for anyone who wants to watch the recorded remarks.