ROC

...In regards to Texas....why would Albertans care about what Texans say when the rest of 'Merica doesn't care what Texas says?

Because Texas is #1 when it comes to US oil production and teaching tin horns in Alberta how to run the business. Hope y'all can figure out that little pipeline problem with Obama.

• Replies 275
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Texas may be the best US but compares to nothing anywhere else. How is that Haliburton rig doing in the Gulf?

It's doing fine.....70% of Alberta's oil production is foreign owned, and that includes Texans. Don't worry....the Americans have Alberta's back, because the ROC sure as hell doesn't.

I would sure hope Texas has our back. There is 20,000 US jobs at stake. It doesn't really mattress the Gateway pipeline will send the rest to China if the US doesn't want the work.

The US is fracking its way to more natural gas and using less crude. Gasoline consumption is actually going down. There is so much natural gas on the market we are running out of places to store it. We used to just flare it off as waste.

• 5 months later...

I am appalled that the Quebec government has sucked 250B out of the ROC since equalization started, they are 200B in debt in addition by their own spending. The Charbonneau commission has uncovered evidence that is surely to chase away prospective investors. due to their corruption in their [politics.The equalization plan is nothing but confiscatory legislation. It's intentions were good but it has failed miserably in reality.

I am appalled that the Quebec government has sucked 250B out of the ROC since equalization started, they are 200B in debt in addition by their own spending.

- Quebec doesn't choose how much equalization it gets, and that money only brings it up to an average of the country as determined by the formula.

- Debt is a result of spending, it isn't in addition to spending.

rolleyes.gif Oh please. Everything that Quebec does is constitutionally allowed in any other province. Equalization is a constitutionally mandated program, and, Quebec is not even close to the largest per capita recipient. I really don't understand the hatred for Quebec from other parts of Canada (at least on the part of some people)

I think the difference is no other province is constantly holding out its hand for money while simultaneously holding up its middle finger and braying loudly about how its got the raw end of the deal and how by its accounting it gets nothing from Canada but instead is being sucked dry by greedy stupid anglo Canadians who have no culture.

I really hate replying to a post only to find out its a year and a half old. The system should delete topics once six months has passed without a post.

Different forums have different policies and/or culture with respect to old threads.

One of the forums I post at most has a strict "do a search" culture. If you start a new thread on a topic that has been discussed before, you'll be blasted by the members and your thread will be locked.

Another one that I post at less often has a strict "no necro-post" policy. If you ever respond to a post that's more than a certain number of months old, you will be automatically be suspended without warning!

I think here it would mostly depend on how relevant the old post was, if you were posting to show how something predicted there came to pass. In this particular case, it was worth it just to read your totally accurate post #210!

smallc-that doesn't make it fair and equitable to the provinces thyat are coerced into writing Quebec a huge cheque each year

You're being dishonest. No provinces are writing any cheques. Also, is it really fair in one country for a place like Alberta to have more than double the fiscal capacity of the average province, and then to leave others below that capacity? Would that be fair?

You're being dishonest. No provinces are writing any cheques. Also, is it really fair in one country for a place like Alberta to have more than double the fiscal capacity of the average province, and then to leave others below that capacity? Would that be fair?

What does fair have to do with it? They make use of the resources they've got, and that makes them the country's ATM?

Quebec has a lot of resources that they don't make use of. They sing platitudes about not wanting to disrupt the environment, but they've got no problem taking the money extracted from the environment that they get from Alberta.

Edited by Bryan

I really hate replying to a post only to find out its a year and a half old. The system should delete topics once six months has passed without a post.

Strong disagree on that one; I find it fascinating to look at old threads and revisit old opinions, especially my own. It's interesting to see what ways I've changed over the years and what ways I haven't.

However, having the thread automatically locked after a period of extended inactivity might be plausible. But is it worthwhile?

-k

What does fair have to do with it? They make use of the resources they've got, and that makes them the country's ATM?

Quebec has a lot of resources that they don't make use of. They sing platitudes about not wanting to disrupt the environment, but they've got no problem taking the money extracted from the environment that they get from Alberta.

The point of the Equalization program is to ensure that the resources that are within the boundaries and control of one province benefit the entire country, so that everyone is at least on a basic level.

Quebec takes all kinds of resources out of the ground, and that continues to accelerate, but at the moment, none of these bring the kind of money that oil does. Quebec's per capita GDP is less than half that of Alberta's.

Edited by Smallc

Perhaps partially, but not largely.

Why's that smallc? Does Quebec not have extensive infranstructure and urban centres located on ideal trade channels? Do they not have vast reserves of natural resources? Are they not net exporters of cheap and abundant hydro-electricity? What, exactly, is holding them back, other than their whining?