Provinces, should they have more power?

10 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'm a huge "Province Rights" person, to the point that I'd like to see the feds in charge of Defence, Tariffs, Canada Post The Postal System and Rules, Currency, Equalization (reduced) and the Federal Debt, while the Provinces do just about everything else. This was outlined and supported in the "Allaire Report"

I have met, however, people who think the Provinces should be abolished. I am curious if anyone here feels that way and could articulate as to why? Personally I think this is a terrible idea.

Edited by TheNewTeddy

I'm a huge "Province Rights" person, to the point that I'd like to see the feds in charge of Defence, Tariffs, Canada Post, Currency, Equalization (reduced) and the Federal Debt, while the Provinces do just about everything else. This was outlined and supported in the "Allaire Report"

I have met, however, people who think the Provinces should be abolished. I am curious if anyone here feels that way and could articulate as to why? Personally I think this is a terrible idea.

Well my view is, IF we are going to have PM like Harper, I rather have the provinces have the most power and perhaps that what Harper is trying to do. What is Ottawa good for, at least under Harper, spending, debt attacking social programs that seniors need. I can't see why the provinces and territories can't so what Ottawa does. Of course, I could always change my mind with a decent PM.

I'm a huge "Province Rights" person, to the point that I'd like to see the feds in charge of Defence, Tariffs, Canada Post, Currency, Equalization (reduced) and the Federal Debt, while the Provinces do just about everything else. This was outlined and supported in the "Allaire Report"

Yep pretty much an American State/Federal relationship that you are looking for.

In my opinion this would destroy Canada!

WWWTT

I'm shocked its privatization was not brought up last year. I don't see the need for it as a crown corporation.

Yah fuck everyone in rural Canada AM I RIGHT??? Seriously you live in Newfoundland one of the most subsidizes provinces in the Federation in terms of mail delivery you can't actually believe this.

I think BC should have the right to get royalties for oil going through the pipeline.

After all, they do have more risk than Alberta. In a capitalist society, isn't risk supposed to be associated with a higher potential gain?

Yah fuck everyone in rural Canada AM I RIGHT??? Seriously you live in Newfoundland one of the most subsidizes provinces in the Federation in terms of mail delivery you can't actually believe this.

I think it needs to be looked into. I ordered two things last week off the Internet and its a lot better having FedEx deliver to my house then have to try and get to the post office to pick up my package that Canada Post was responsible for.

I think it needs to be looked into. I ordered two things last week off the Internet and its a lot better having FedEx deliver to my house then have to try and get to the post office to pick up my package that Canada Post was responsible for.

Yah but what does Fedex do on the routes it does want to deliver to? You think they are flying a plane into Goosebay? Nope they just walk over to Canada post pay the price and have them deliver that last leg. Having a national postal service that goes anywhere in Canada is an asset to our country and economy. They might not be everything you ask for but they go everywhere and do everything for CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP. It makes our country stronger that you know if you live in far North that if you put a order in for the winter in a month Canada post will be flying it all in even taking a loss on it so people can still pull diamonds from the ground.

Think about it for a minute. Privatization would hurt our country because Fed Ex isn't going to the places where it will take a loss.

Yah but what does Fedex do on the routes it does want to deliver to? You think they are flying a plane into Goosebay? Nope they just walk over to Canada post pay the price and have them deliver that last leg. Having a national postal service that goes anywhere in Canada is an asset to our country and economy. They might not be everything you ask for but they go everywhere and do everything for CHEEP CHEEP CHEEP. It makes our country stronger that you know if you live in far North that if you put a order in for the winter in a month Canada post will be flying it all in even taking a loss on it so people can still pull diamonds from the ground.

Think about it for a minute. Privatization would hurt our country because Fed Ex isn't going to the places where it will take a loss.

Other countries have done it. I'd like to see it exploited, I agree it could be an issue in rural nd remote areas but it can still be looked into.

What countries? I would love to see a model remembering our country is huge and spread out.

Here are some articles.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog/consumer_insight/30713--20-reasons-for-ending-canada-post-s-monopoly

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/want-better-mail-service-look-abroad

Here's an article by one of my favourite people Andrew Coyne on Canada Post.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/06/17/rain-or-shine-the-monopoly-must-end/

We could also look at just ending the monopoly, though I doubt they'd last long after that.

Edited by Newfoundlander

Here are some articles.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/blog/consumer_insight/30713--20-reasons-for-ending-canada-post-s-monopoly

http://www.cato.org/publications/commentary/want-better-mail-service-look-abroad

Here's an article by one of my favourite people Andrew Coyne on Canada Post.

http://www2.macleans.ca/2011/06/17/rain-or-shine-the-monopoly-must-end/

We could also look at just ending the monopoly, though I doubt they'd last long after that.

All of those are from extreme right wingers who believe in privatizing everything anything from the centrists?

I wouldn't so much abolish the idea of provinces but I'd reconfigure their borders and create more based on natural bioregional lines that divide our lands and seascape. This would rationalize their environmental management which should mesh more naturally with their economic management - provinces would be defined by their natural physical characteristics such as watershed boundaries and islands (i.e Vancouver Island) for example.

I think more smaller regional governments would lead to better accountability simply because centres of power would be physically closer to the populations they administer. It simply be a lot easier for people to go down to their regional capital and voice their discontent in person.

Hmmm.. Maybe I'll check Rabble for you. :)

I am not being crazy here. You linked to the CATO institute. You might want to check your links next time the CATO institute is an extreme organization founded by the Koch brothers. You might want to look into that. Its jobs is to write policy papers that push public opinion on things that will make the Koch brothers richest and nothing else. They write papers on getting rid of the minimum wage, how global warming isn't real, they advocate a flat tax...the goes on and on.

They are todays John Birch Society and just like 30 years ago we laughed at people who linked to their ideas we should laugh at you now. Get a real link and I will read it I promise.

Why should they get Alberta's royalties if a private company wants to build a pipeline?

Why should electronics companies sell their products to retailers at a fraction of the retail price? Because without retailers there is no market.

Without the pipeline, there are no royalties.

I am not being crazy here. You linked to the CATO institute. You might want to check your links next time the CATO institute is an extreme organization founded by the Koch brothers. You might want to look into that. Its jobs is to write policy papers that push public opinion on things that will make the Koch brothers richest and nothing else. They write papers on getting rid of the minimum wage, how global warming isn't real, they advocate a flat tax...the goes on and on.

They are todays John Birch Society and just like 30 years ago we laughed at people who linked to their ideas we should laugh at you now. Get a real link and I will read it I promise.

What about Andrew Coyne?

Is the Montreal Economic Institute right wing, centrist, left wing or what because they've done a paper on it too?

What about Andrew Coyne?

Is the Montreal Economic Institute right wing, centrist, left wing or what because they've done a paper on it too?

They are all clearly right win. The MEI was run by Maxime Bernier. Seriously I am not trying to be difficult here but those sources are terrible I will read them later anyway.