Steve Harper: Backer of Science, history and human interests

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/23/stephen-harper-franklin-expedition/

This "Franklin expedition" driven by Steve Harper is a shining moment in Canadian philanthropy, legacy and study in Canadian endurance. This scientific expedition shows our dedication to the sciences and Canadian history..

Great moment in Canadian history and politics. A proud moment.

Please! Discuss! Should we be funding science to this extent? Should this be done by a private institution?

Ahhhhhhhhh a soft science..... So this is not a worthy expedition? I don't understand you "evangelical" comment.. It sounds like religious intolerance to me..... I don't thing religion has anything to do with this great moment in history. Can you send a link to the churches ties?

it's a propaganda move for feel good moments and photo ops with captain canada...archeology is a soft science and uncontroversial...he's fired all the controversial scientists and gagged the remainder...harper is anti-science as all evangelicals are...

Ahhhhhhhhh a soft science.....

ya it is...
So this is not a worthy expedition?
those aren't going anywhere they'll keep their state of preservation for centuries to come but he'd rather than cut funds from more crucial environmental studies which he hates because they're inconvenient to his political agenda....
I don't understand you "evangelical" comment.. It sounds like religious intolerance to me..... I don't thing religion has anything to do with this great moment in history. Can you send a link to the churches ties?
harper=evangelical=6 thousand year old earth=hate science that doesn't agree with scripture

"The Alliance Church, to which Harper has belonged for decades, believes Jesus Christ will return to Earth in an apocalypse, won't ordain women, strongly opposes abortion and divorce, condemns homosexuality as the most base of sins and believes those who aren't born-again are lost."

the cult that he belongs to are the ones that are intolerant...

What non-white contributors? I won't even bother mentioning the sweeping changes to the aboriginal act that was lauded by the chiefs...... Or the recent preservation of canadian heritage lands...

Go ahead, admit it... This is a great mission driven by Steve Harper

Yep this is another example of "Harper history"!

Harper is big on "White British" contributions to Canada past.

Not much so when it comes to non white contributors.

WWWTT

Oh I get it, cut funding here and put it someplace else? Or just fund everything.... Like the study on the most efficient canoe paddle? I'm yea...

I have seen no carry over from his church to politics... Why the religious intolerance? Canada is a country of many colors and religions. Iggy was a Christian, he believed in another faith... Did he think "god" started it all? You hatred is coming across as scary..

The comment on the religion that u underlined was not a link.. Can you provide that or was that just your opinion on a religion?

Oh yeah! Almost forgot.....http://www.theprovince.com/technology/Harper+Arctic+tour+shifts+Nunavut+science+announcement/7133398/story.html

Soft science? Maybe not enough funding for your tastes?

+

ya it is...

those aren't going anywhere they'll keep their state of preservation for centuries to come but he'd rather than cut funds from more crucial environmental studies which he hates because they're inconvenient to his political agenda....

harper=evangelical=6 thousand year old earth=hate science that doesn't agree with scripture

"The Alliance Church, to which Harper has belonged for decades, believes Jesus Christ will return to Earth in an apocalypse, won't ordain women, strongly opposes abortion and divorce, condemns homosexuality as the most base of sins and believes those who aren't born-again are lost."

the cult that he belongs to are the ones that are intolerant...

Edited by Fletch 27

I have seen no carry over from his church to politics... Why the religious intolerance? Canada is a country of many colors and religions.

that's because you're blinded by your conservative ideology...his israel/Palestine stance is all evangelical based in line with cult teachings- " Evangelicals support Israel because of biblical prophecy, including passages that tie the survival of Israel to the Second Coming of Jesus."-the rapture-"evangelicals support Israel because they believe "God blesses those that bless the Jews and curses those who curse the Jews."

his religious background must make him anti-science it supports everything he disbelieves...he's lying to his cult or to us if he claims otherwise...

Iggy was a Christian, he believed in another faith... Did he think "god" started it all? You hatred is coming across as scary..

ignatieff wasn't an evangelical...

So Obama is evangelical? As is the British parliament? As is the EU? Holly crap! I didn't know it had such a large following!

Should that not make him anti-Jewish as they were supposed to have hung the big-cheese from the cross? I think you logic is fouled or maybe there is a tad touch of hatred for a religion there..

"must make him anti - science"? Sounds like he should be anti BBQ's as well!

Racism and hatred is bad.. And should not be allowed on the Internet... That's my motto

that's because you're blinded by your conservative ideology...his israel/Palestine stance is all evangelical based in line with cult teachings- " Evangelicals support Israel because of biblical prophecy, including passages that tie the survival of Israel to the Second Coming of Jesus."-the rapture-"evangelicals support Israel because they believe "God blesses those that bless the Jews and curses those who curse the Jews."

his religious background must make him anti-science it supports everything he disbelieves...he's lying to his cult or to us if he claims otherwise...

ignatieff wasn't an evangelical...

Racism and hatred is bad.. And should not be allowed on the Internet... That's my motto

naivety and ignorance is bad...and should not be allowed on the internet...that's my motto....

oh wait it's not, here's my motto...“Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.”

Sticks and stones may break my bones..... But libs can spell Liberal

You might want to consider moving as the Majority of canadian must be stupid...

naivety and ignorance is bad...and should not be allowed on the internet...that's my motto....

oh wait it's not, here's my motto...“Conservatives are not necessarily stupid, but most stupid people are conservatives.”

While it's an interesting search mission, I'd hardly call it scientific.

Ahhhhhhhhh ys

It's a fishing trip. Nothing to see here..... Just fishing..... No science needed on the stuff they uncover.... Boffoons are a common species here....

Steven Harper is all for knowledge if there is a propaganda potential inn it. War of 1812... let's use it to boost the military. Franklin... good way to boost our claims to the Artic.

But we do not need to gather information through the long-form census. it is dangerous to allow public service scientists - people's employees - to talk to the press about their research. We do not need research to be done at National Research Council, Environment Canada and the Department of Fisheries and Oceans. Searchers and the public alike do not need to be able to access historical resources held at Library and Archives Canada. Right?

Edited by CANADIEN

There is really no sense arguing with these people. ANY cut to ANY program for ANY reason seems to be deemed "fascist" to the left, even if it's in favour of funding for programs they've previously advocated. They jump on any available opportunity to demonize Harper and big "C" Conservatives. Best to just sit back, endure the hateful rhetoric, and elect the next Conservative government.

Actually this makes a lot of sense and explains much!

WWWTT

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/08/23/stephen-harper-franklin-expedition/

This "Franklin expedition" driven by Steve Harper is a shining moment in Canadian philanthropy, legacy and study in Canadian endurance. This scientific expedition shows our dedication to the sciences and Canadian history..

Great moment in Canadian history and politics. A proud moment.

Please! Discuss! Should we be funding science to this extent? Should this be done by a private institution?

Well answer this....which is more important feeding and clothing the children of the North OR supporting financially finding a ship?? Find the ship when times get better.

Steven Harper is all for knowledge if there is a propaganda potential inn it. War of 1812... let's use it to boost the military. Franklin... good way to boost our claims to the Artic.

it plays well to his base the sun news readership...our claim to the arctic is unchallenged internationally except for the USA not recognizing our claims to sovereignty over the waterways between the islands...which is why there was a military propaganda event and the JTF2 made a very rare appearance on tv this week, and just who do you suppose was on hand for photo op...captain canada to the rescue! :lol: ...pure melodramatic fantasy for the suns readers, harper wouldn't have the balls to send JTF2 to take over an american ship that entered those disputed waters....

There is really no sense arguing with these people. ANY cut to ANY program for ANY reason seems to be deemed "fascist" to the left, even if it's in favour of funding for programs they've previously advocated. They jump on any available opportunity to demonize Harper and big "C" Conservatives. Best to just sit back, endure the hateful rhetoric, and elect the next Conservative government.

evangelists hate science so ya we have a problem with an evangelist who wants to dumb down the pursuit of scientific knowledge using budgetary restraint as a cover story...ask harper if he believes the world is 6K yrs old, ask him if he believes humans co-existed with dinosaurs, ask him why he belongs to cult that discriminates against women, ask him why he belongs to a cult that hates gays, ask him how he can retain membership in such a hateful discriminatory cult ...you can ask him all you want but he'll never answer, why do you think that is?... Edited by wyly