Respecting the Bible / Ignoring the Bible

msj

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that people who don't agree with what the Bible says have an obligation as a human being to respect those that do.

As long as those who do do not try and have an affect on the lives of those who don't.

Wouldn't want Christians going round slicing the heads off apostates and shooting little girls in the head for going to school.

Why? Having your beliefs respected by random strangers is not a right. Respect is something that must be earned.

I disagree. I think that respect is something that can be lost. I think everyone should be brought up to respect other peoples beliefs, their elders, their teachers, etc. Countries should respect other countries sovereignty, immigrants should respect their new home's laws, etc.

But it's very easy to lose respect for someone's beliefs if they conflict with yours. Same with elders, teachers, countries, and on.

I, personally, have great deal of respect for someone who can live their lives adhering to a faith, without ever expecting anyone else to live by the same tenets.

I disagree. I think that respect is something that can be lost. I think everyone should be brought up to respect other peoples beliefs, their elders, their teachers, etc. Countries should respect other countries sovereignty, immigrants should respect their new home's laws, etc.

But it's very easy to lose respect for someone's beliefs if they conflict with yours. Same with elders, teachers, countries, and on.

I, personally, have great deal of respect for someone who can live their lives adhering to a faith, without ever expecting anyone else to live by the same tenets.

Here's the definition of respect:

re·spect/riˈspekt/

Noun: A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements. Verb: Admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

I do not find any abilities, qualities, or achievements that I admire when I think of religious people, as a group. Of course, many religious individuals do have admirable abilities, qualities and achievements, and deserve to be respected. But to be respected merely for the fact that you follow a religion? To have someone respect your belief for no reason than because they are "obligated to" (as Mr.Canada suggested)? No. Impossible.

If someone respects everyone and everything, then that person's respect loses all meaning.

Here's the definition of respect:

re·spect/riˈspekt/

Noun: A feeling of deep admiration for someone or something elicited by their abilities, qualities, or achievements. Verb: Admire (someone or something) deeply, as a result of their abilities, qualities, or achievements.

I do not find any abilities, qualities, or achievements that I admire when I think of religious people, as a group. Of course, many religious individuals do have admirable abilities, qualities and achievements, and deserve to be respected. But to be respected merely for the fact that you follow a religion? To have someone respect your belief for no reason than because they are "obligated to" (as Mr.Canada suggested)? No. Impossible.

If someone respects everyone and everything, then that person's respect loses all meaning.

<Shrug> There's more than one definition of respect.

Deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.

The condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.

To show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.

To refrain from intruding upon or interfering with: to respect a person's privacy.

Edited by bcsapper

<Shrug> There's more than one definition of respect.

Deference to a right, privilege, privileged position, or someone or something considered to have certain rights or privileges; proper acceptance or courtesy; acknowledgment: respect for a suspect's right to counsel; to show respect for the flag; respect for the elderly.

The condition of being esteemed or honored: to be held in respect.

To show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.

To refrain from intruding upon or interfering with: to respect a person's privacy.

And in your opinion, which definition is it that is applicable in this case?

And in your opinion, which definition is it that is applicable in this case?

Well, how about:

proper acceptance or courtesy

to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.

It could be just me though. Just the way I am.

Well, how about:

proper acceptance or courtesy

to show regard or consideration for: to respect someone's rights.

It could be just me though. Just the way I am.

I have no problem according people their rights, or acting courteously toward them. This level of respect is accorded to everyone, whether they are religious or not. If this is what you mean by respect, then sure. But what is this special respect that one is supposed to show for people's religious beliefs that is not included in the basic respect that we have for them as individuals within our society?

I have no problem according people their rights, or acting courteously toward them. This level of respect is accorded to everyone, whether they are religious or not. If this is what you mean by respect, then sure. But what is this special respect that one is supposed to show for people's religious beliefs that is not included in the basic respect that we have for them as individuals within our society?

Certainly I do not believe in affording special respect to religions. I do, as I said, respect a religious person who is able to practice their religion without affecting anyone else. as well as respecting their right to their beliefs. I have no such respect for those who wish to control others according to their beliefs.

Gotta agree with Bonam on this.

But, lets face it, Mr. Canada was really just repeating the same old argument from page one put forth by Shady and AW.

Basically: stop pointing out hypocrisy among religious people, particularly among Christians, no matter what substantive reasons I may have.

These people must be respected because... well, why?

Why shouldn't I be critical of people who claim to respect the Bible but then clearly ignore it?

Why should I ignore such hypocrisy?

Whose rights am I violating by pointing this out?

I do, as I said, respect a religious person who is able to practice their religion without affecting anyone else. as well as respecting their right to their beliefs.

From your lips to ummmm.... someones ears. The World would be a much more wonderful place if everyone thought like this.

Gotta agree with Bonam on this.

Yeah, me too.

But, lets face it, Mr. Canada was really just repeating the same old argument from page one put forth by Shady and AW.

Basically: stop pointing out hypocrisy among religious people, particularly among Christians, no matter what substantive reasons I may have.

There's no "must".

Why shouldn't I be critical of people who claim to respect the Bible but then clearly ignore it?

You should!

Why should I ignore such hypocrisy?

You shouldn't!

Whose rights am I violating by pointing this out?

Nobody's. I do it all the time

Of course God is not an author; people are. People also interpreted the Bible into English, and some words in the Bible had no English equivalent, so those doing the translating translated them to fit their beliefs. "Homosexuality" is one such word.

That's one of the reasons this thread is so ridiculous. All Christians don't proclaim to follow every word of the Bible, and not all Christians adhere to the same version; yet atheists are proclaiming Christians "hypocrites" for not following it verbatim.

I think the problem is inconsistency within the Christian religion as with ALL other religions. Even all Christians don't agree with everything in the bible. And if you agree that the bible is the word/works of man, then how can it be used as the word of God if it's open to interpretation.

This is the thing that puzzles agnostics and atheists alike.

And being in a western society dominated by Christian culture (don't kid yourself that it is not) it will be the thing most people will focus on.

But what the OP is doing, and that seems to be missed is the blatant hypocrisies that are within the Bible, without a need for interpretation of what the words mean. Why some people look at it as an attack on Christianity baffles me as well.

Disagreeing with people or thinking their views are idiotic is not a denial of rights.

Yeah that's true. I should be more careful. I should have deleted that bit.

Hell, I'd be jailed if that were a denial of rights.

EXACTLY! A society advances by expunging bad ideas and promoting good ones. In most areas of discourse we are free to challenge, dispel or mock wild unsubstantiated claims. Why should religious ideas be exempt from rational scrutiny? Sam Harris highlights this idea in

I have a question for theists. Are your beliefs so fragile or so crazy that simple critical discussion threatens them? Are they not sound enough to survive without the protective cultural no discussion cocoon?