CBC is getting the Olympics back

Boges

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1235315--cbc-to-broadcast-next-two-olymipcs-in-canada

After two Games away, the CBC has won back the rights to broadcast the Olympics in Canada.

The public broadcaster announced Wednesday they alone will air the 2014 Winter Games in Sochi, Russia, and the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, after making two unsuccessful joint bids with Bell Media.

This means the team of Canadian broadcasters currently working the 2012 London Games — including Brian Williams and James Duthie — will not be back in two years time.

Bell and Rogers Communications — owners of CTV, TSN and Sportsnet — partnered in 2007 to form the Canadian Olympic Broadcast Media Consortium in order to outbid the CBC for the broadcasting rights to the 2010 Vancouver Olympics and the 2012 London games

I think the Media Consortium has been doing a fantastic job. Nothing wrong with what CBC did but they just don't have the reach that Bell and Rogers do. 4 channels all showing Olympics at once is kind if neat.

The time difference for Sochi will be an even bigger pain than here in London, that Olympics might not be great. I'm looking forward to Rio though an Olympic Golf tournament will be very interesting.

Edited by Boges

http://www.thestar.com/sports/article/1235315--cbc-to-broadcast-next-two-olymipcs-in-canada

I think the Media Consortium has been doing a fantastic job. Nothing wrong with what CBC did but they just don't have the reach that Bell and Rogers do. 4 channels all showing Olympics at once is kind if neat.

The time difference for Sochi will be an even bigger pain than here in London, that Olympics might not be great. I'm looking forward to Rio though an Olympic Golf tournament will be very interesting.

From the point of view of coverage for live events this is terrible. The current coverage is the best i have seen.

I'm looking forward to Sochi. I generally like the winter Olympics better.

It could be good, depending on if NHLers are there, but the time difference is bad. Just about everything important will be happening during business hours or early in the morning.

I'm not liking these games for that. Some minor stuff happens in the morning but most of the important stuff is happening at 2:30 pm.

At least when the Olympics are in Korea, Japan or China you gets some stuff happening Prime Time and in the Morning. When people are at work in the West, people at the Olympics are sleeping.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

There's no way the CBC doesn't lose money on two OG that are both outside of the prime viewing time in this Country. If NHL players don't go to Sochi this will make their problems even worse. I'll obviously be watching but the Olympics are pretty much impossible to turn a profit on as a network these days.

There's no way the CBC doesn't lose money on two OG that are both outside of the prime viewing time in this Country. If NHL players don't go to Sochi this will make their problems even worse. I'll obviously be watching but the Olympics are pretty much impossible to turn a profit on as a network these days.

Not a nice as primetime programming for sure, but maybe their bids were lower to account for that.

Not a nice as primetime programming for sure, but maybe their bids were lower to account for that.

I believe the reason that the current media consortium that had the previous two Olympics didn't even bid this time was because they lost money, and one of the Olympics was IN Canada. :blink:

It's not an actual bidding process unless there are two competing entities. In this case I believe the IOC just named their price and waited for a network to come along, if two of them came they probably would've raised the broadcast rights until one of the competitors bowed out.

The CBC is where the Olympics should be though IMO, they broadcast lots of amateur sport year round, I think their experts and viewpoints are more interesting to people who don't have a grasp on most of the Olympic sports.