Quebec marginalized

Quebec is irrelevant not because it did not vote for the CPC, Quebec is irrelevant because the CPC proved that it is possible to form a government without Quebec, and much easier.

Yes, but that is an irrelevant fact because the Conservatives formed a majority government with very few seats from Quebec, up to this point in time Canada has had 9 provinces and Quebec, with Quebec trying to force more concessions from the government in order to gain independence but at the same time benefit from being part of Canada. I might be mistaken but to me it seems that Quebec wants to be equal to the federal government rather than being equal to the provincial governments, that is why they are irrelevant.

your reply shows how little you know about quebec. quebec had carried canada for many years in the past. if it werent for quebec who knows if canada would have survived this long. look at the brave students in quebec protesting against unreasonable tuition hikes. quebec students were the only students in canada with enough balls to fight the unfair system. i joined the protests for 7 straight nights. these people are fighting for all canadian students not just quebec students. so yeah we owe a lot to the great distinct province of quebec.

• Replies 144
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

your reply shows how little you know about quebec. quebec had carried canada for many years in the past. if it werent for quebec who knows if canada would have survived this long. look at the brave students in quebec protesting against unreasonable tuition hikes. quebec students were the only students in canada with enough balls to fight the unfair system. i joined the protests for 7 straight nights. these people are fighting for all canadian students not just quebec students. so yeah we owe a lot to the great distinct province of quebec.

How has Quebec carried Canada for many years?

And Quebec students are the only once who can afford to go and protest, most students I went to school with were too busy working to pay for their tuition instead of terrorize a city in order to get their demands met after throwing a little tantrum.

How has Quebec carried Canada for many years?

And Quebec students are the only once who can afford to go and protest, most students I went to school with were too busy working to pay for their tuition instead of terrorize a city in order to get their demands met after throwing a little tantrum.

you're making stuff up again. they didn't terorize any cities. most of the public supported the brave protestors except cpc supporters. get your head out of the sand.

you're making stuff up again. they didn't terorize any cities. most of the public supported the brave protestors except cpc supporters. get your head out of the sand.

Bursting in to schools and scaring students who want to be in school or can't afford to throw childish tantrums in the street.

Throwing molotov cocktails, smoke bombs in the subway, damage to public property. Need I go on?

Bursting in to schools and scaring students who want to be in school or can't afford to throw childish tantrums in the street.

Throwing molotov cocktails, smoke bombs in the subway, damage to public property. Need I go on?

where's the proof?

Quebec is irrelevant not because it did not vote for the CPC, Quebec is irrelevant because the CPC proved that it is possible to form a government without Quebec, and much easier.

Yes, but that is an irrelevant fact because the Conservatives formed a majority government with very few seats from Quebec, up to this point in time Canada has had 9 provinces and Quebec, with Quebec trying to force more concessions from the government in order to gain independence but at the same time benefit from being part of Canada. I might be mistaken but to me it seems that Quebec wants to be equal to the federal government rather than being equal to the provincial governments, that is why they are irrelevant.

Oh for goodness sake...Look if you guys have no interest in pandering to Quebec or seeking any support from Quebec thats fine. Do so - or more accurately - don't do so. But lets save the crap about it being Quebecs fault. Take responsibility for your position. Its very simple: you have no need to get Quebec on board the party program. Quebec is not needed. Quebec is irrelevant to the party. Therefore YOU choose to ignore Quebecs interests. ....then blame Quebec for your decisions?

"Quebec-bashing" is not the point. Moonbox has some issues with Quebec, sure...frankly, that's a fairly mainstream position. If anything, he's stated, if not optimism, at least an openness to an optimistic position, albeit tentatively, about the NDP and Quebec. Not the most partisan take I've ever seen, to be sure.

And not overly "regional," either, unless TROC is a "region."

If anything, this appears to be less of an issue as time passes. I'm personally not a Harper fan--to put it mildly--but I don't think that, here in the Maritimes, he's viewed through such a starkly regional lens. As far as Maritimers dislike him (for those that do), I really think Alberta has exactly zero to do with it.

I hope Quebec chooses federalism and moderation.

Oh for goodness sake...Look if you guys have no interest in pandering to Quebec or seeking any support from Quebec thats fine. Do so - or more accurately - don't do so. But lets save the crap about it being Quebecs fault. Take responsibility for your position. Its very simple: you have no need to get Quebec on board the party program. Quebec is not needed. Quebec is irrelevant to the party. Therefore YOU choose to ignore Quebecs interests. ....then blame Quebec for your decisions?

So you are saying that Quebec has no fault whatsoever in making itself irrelevant? When Quebec demands special treatment and benefits that are not afforded to the other provinces they pit themselves against the rest of Canada and when a government has a majority without needing Quebec then the usual blackmail and threats don't really work.

Obviously Harper is going to better represent in the Canadian interests since he is the only among the two that understands that their needs to be a robust private economy that can generate the tax revenue to pay for government services that the urban latte swillers demand.

:lol: :lol:

This is what the CPC does. It pits the regions against each other, then blames it on the other parties or the regions themselves.

This is what the CPC does. It pits the regions against each other, then blames it on the other parties or the regions themselves.

Really? So its all the CPC's fault? There has been a division between Quebec and TROC well before this government took office and there would be a division after this government leaves office.

Really? So its all the CPC's fault? There has been a division between Quebec and TROC well before this government took office and there would be a division after this government leaves office.

Yeah. Don't bother working towards a better Canada or anything. I know that's not really part of the CPC's mandate. That much is evident.

I think youre overestimating the gap to start with.

I doubt that, there is a gap and it's already pretty large and that is due to Quebec but a portion of the blame goes to the federal parties of the last few decades who have been trying to buy the Quebec vote no matter how harmful it is to the country. If Quebec realizes that the party that forms government does not need them then it might change their point of view, as long as the CPC treats Quebec just like any other province then everything is alright.

So you are saying that Quebec has no fault whatsoever in making itself irrelevant? ...

That is correct. No fault whatsoever. Citizens of Quebec get one vote each. Voters in Quebec are as relevant as any body else in this country. So the 'irrelevant' argument is mere sour grapes cause they vote for someone you dont approve of. Under your 'irrelevant' argument all other voters are also irrelevant. There is absolutely no rational argument to say some voters are relevant and some are not.

That is correct. No fault whatsoever. Citizens of Quebec get one vote each. Voters in Quebec are as relevant as any body else in this country. So the 'irrelevant' argument is mere sour grapes cause they vote for someone you dont approve of. Under your 'irrelevant' argument all other voters are also irrelevant. There is absolutely no rational argument to say some voters are relevant and some are not.

Earth to Peter!

I need votes to get in power. One group will not give me any. Another will. There are enough of those that will to get me into office.

The group that won't has unique demands that would upset the group that will, reducing the numbers I need to achieve my goal.

So simple games theory says I should not pander to the group that offers me no support anyway.

Now what's irrational about that?