Jobs go up 58k in April

It can happen either way. Governments don't create business. They can facilitate it, but often, real agreements and interest don't come on the part of government until there's already a great deal of two way economic activity.

In the 1970's Ottawa attempted to break in to the European and Japanese markets which ultimately failed to yield desired results.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

US jobs numbers were far below expectations last month. They barely created twice as many jobs as Canada in an economy that is ten times larger and has yet to recover to pre-recession levels of employment. Nice try Debbie Downer.

No one care if the US is hiring people. It is all about if they are buying stuff. Guess what? They are buying stuff.

In the 1970's Ottawa attempted to break in to the European and Japanese markets which ultimately failed to yield desired results.

Yes...because as I said, governments don't spread business on their own. It has to be worthwhile for businesses.

No, you're confusing numbers. The US is about 70% of our export market, not our eveonomy.

True, but the American and other multinationals aren't going to just stay put in Canada under such an economic calamity. The impact would be far greater than $600 billion. Example: Is Canada still manufacturing diesel locomotives in Ontario?

No, I said there was no evidence to show either way. Which is why one cannot assume whether or not the loss of jobs would be good news.

It was no secret the Government has been doing a program review, as we would expect from responsible keepers of the public purse.

Job cuts are the result.

Neither the review or the result are assumptions.

Yes...because as I said, governments don't spread business on their own. It has to be worthwhile for businesses.

I understand, but the American markets provide Canadian businesses with things that few other nations can provide.

-distance

-no language barrier

-friendly markets

-similar standards and requirements

How many business would abandon the lucrative American markets in favour for markets that in most cases are in no way better then the American markets and in fact could be worse?

No one care if the US is hiring people. It is all about if they are buying stuff. Guess what? They are buying stuff.

Really? I'm sure you have proof to back this claim?

With the CAD still near historical highs and above par with the USD, surely our exports are not particularly attractive.

US personal spending has missed expectations in 3 of the last 4 months. Doesn't sound like they're buying that much.

US vehicle sales fell short of expectations. Factory orders decreased by 1.5%. The S&P500 is falling. Yes everything is just peachy in the US right now. Let's all thank Obama for helping us create these jobs!

Edited by CPCFTW

Btw this is one of the most ignorant statements I have ever read. US nonfarm payrolls is the most traded economic indicator in the world. If it is bad then capital markets around the world plunge.

Really? I'm sure you have proof to back this claim?

With the CAD still near historical highs and above par with the USD, surely our exports are not particularly attractive.

US personal spending has missed expectations in 3 of the last 4 months. Doesn't sound like they're buying that much.

US vehicle sales fell short of expectations. Factory orders decreased by 1.5%. The S&P500 is falling. Yes everything is just peachy in the US right now. Let's all thank Obama for helping us create these jobs!

Yah I bet they hate that oil we sell to them at a 20 dollar a barrel discount because we sell to no other market, and the cheap clear power our hydro gives them.

Why do I even bother... :rolleyes:

It is just a fact. Our economy rises and falls with the US because they have developed their country to handle their resources and when their resources ran out they still had factories, refineries, and mills that needed resources. We never developed our own economy so we just sell the stuff for them to get rich off of.

It is just a fact. Our economy rises and falls with the US because they have developed their country to handle their resources and when their resources ran out they still had factories, refineries, and mills that needed resources. We never developed our own economy so we just sell the stuff for them to get rich off of.

So you are saying that we are basically a third world economy?

We never developed our own economy so we just sell the stuff for them to get rich off of.

Except that isn't at all true. This is an economy, on its own, without the US, of 35M people. It is an affluent economy that is technologically and logistically advanced. Exports to the US make up about 25% of our economy - a very large part - but that isn't the entire economy. You can't tell me that Cities like Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Toronto, Ottawa, or Edmonton don't create their own economic gravity.

What I'm saying is, you're full of it.

http://www.ic.gc.ca/eic/site/cis-sic.nsf/eng/h_00013.html

This is a very diverse economy.

Ask your Mum to put in bigger windows in the basement so you can widen your horizons with an improved view.

Edited by fellowtraveller