Windows Phone or Android

And I'm sure you have plenty of evidence to support that. :P

Well, I'm not running for President so I don't have to show anyone my tax returns.

Here's a survey that looks at tablets.

However, I'm just kidding.

I think the income disparity likely comes from the age of users (people tend to earn more money in their late 30's than in their 20's) and that enterprise users prefer to use iOS over Android. Link.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well you sorta goaded me into it by providing those two links. I can provide several head to head reviews that have the GS3 and the GS2 for that matter to be better phones than the iPhone 4S. There are some objective standards used to rate smartphones above and beyond the feel of the OS.

Again I'm not attacking you personally for your choices to buy an apple product. But for someone, again not you! to say Apple just makes better products period, speaks to a kind of elitism that I find objectionable. People that use Apple products have that reputation.

Apple fans also review products they'll never actually consider buying, part of my reason I dislike Apple users so much... This is a presents a problem of quality in the reviews. Since they look to find miniscule (often entirely subjective) flaws and blow them out of proportion to feel better about their own technological choices.

When the tech "reviewer" guy goes to complain that the number of Apps available isn't as high. Why is that a problem? Were there any GOOD apps missing? no... they don't substantiate... because all of the good apps are on both systems. 20 fart simulation apps don't make a difference when I only need 1 for the occasional stupid gag. Any good company puts the app on both software ecosystems.

My brother-in-law was recently convinced that Samsung is the better phone. took the time to use both, check the apps he wanted. He declared Samsung more intuitive and well built than iPhone.

Apple fans also review products they'll never actually consider buying, part of my reason I dislike Apple users so much... This is a presents a problem of quality in the reviews. Since they look to find miniscule (often entirely subjective) flaws and blow them out of proportion to feel better about their own technological choices.

Cool. Can you provide a link to the research supporting this?

I would really like to know the sample size and parameters for the study to ensure this conclusion is fully supported in an objective way. :lol:

My brother-in-law was recently convinced that Samsung is the better phone. took the time to use both, check the apps he wanted. He declared Samsung more intuitive and well built than iPhone.

Sounds subjective to me. :P

Edited by msj

Well, I'm not running for President so I don't have to show anyone my tax returns.

Here's a survey that looks at tablets.

However, I'm just kidding.

I think the income disparity likely comes from the age of users (people tend to earn more money in their late 30's than in their 20's) and that enterprise users prefer to use iOS over Android. Link.

All that tells me is that iPhone is for old people who have more money and have aged enough to have a degree. But being the caddy of phones (for old people) will work against it in the future.

And that corporations prefer locked down devices (o big surprise there).

When my wife supply teaches, the teachers have iPhones but the students are obviously more Android based.

Good on Apple for getting the largest and most able to spend money group locked in. Long-term, they will have to mitigate the stigma of being "mom's phone".

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

All that tells me is that iPhone is for old people who have more money and have aged enough to have a degree. But being the caddy of phones (for old people) will work against it in the future.

When my wife supply teaches, the teachers have iPhones but the students are obviously more Android based.

Good on Apple for getting the largest and most able to spend money group locked in. Long-term, they will have to mitigate the stigma of being "mom's phone".

Sure every company has this problem.

Of course, if you look at the tablet stats then Android will have the same problem as the really really old people (45-64 - gasp!) prefer Android to iPad. :lol:

But, yes, the iPhone is more loved by the old crowd (35+).

Those grandpas!

Sure every company has this problem.

Of course, if you look at the tablet stats then Android will have the same problem as the really really old people (45-64 - gasp!) prefer Android to iPad. :lol:

But, yes, the iPhone is more loved by the old crowd (35+).

Those grandpas!

Well you could argue the under 35 crowd is far more tech savy meaning that long-term it's a good thing for Android.

Android has extended its lead on Apple.

http://money.cnn.com/2012/08/08/technology/smartphone-market-share/

Google's Android surged to a whopping 68% share of the global smartphone market last quarter. That's four times the 17% market share held by Apple (AAPL, Fortune 500), according to a Wednesday report from research firm IDC.

I think what you'll see is that people who are making the switch from another BB or non-data phones are switching to Droid more than Apple.

Now will people convert to Apple when the iPhone 5 comes out? I haven't seen anything in the rumours for the iPhone 5 that make it more marketable than comparable Android phones.

Edited by Boges

Sure, and where have I claimed that Apple is #1?

I like Apple because it does what I want it to do.

Other people like Android because it does what they want it to do.

I don't really know what we are supposed to be discussing here as it's clear that you are a reasonable Android fan, I consider myself a reasonable Apple fan (who knows, I might switch when I get tired of my i4s) and MCC is an AAFF (anti-Apple fanboy fanboi).

They are all good products - some people just like different strokes.

Sure, and where have I claimed that Apple is #1?

I like Apple because it does what I want it to do.

Other people like Android because it does what they want it to do.

I don't really know what we are supposed to be discussing here as it's clear that you are a reasonable Android fan, I consider myself a reasonable Apple fan (who knows, I might switch when I get tired of my i4s) and MCC is an AAFF (anti-Apple fanboy fanboi).

They are all good products - some people just like different strokes.

Well this thread keeps getting bumped. We can agree to disagree and I'll be fine.

When the tech "reviewer" guy goes to complain that the number of Apps available isn't as high. Why is that a problem? Were there any GOOD apps missing? no... they don't substantiate... because all of the good apps are on both systems. 20 fart simulation apps don't make a difference when I only need 1 for the occasional stupid gag. Any good company puts the app on both software ecosystems.

ya, what does it matter how many thousands more apps one system has vs another, how many could someone possibly need...and if it isn't a free app I don't want it B)

my aging wife and I have androids, young vixen daughters have BB and Iphone...

ya, what does it matter how many thousands more apps one system has vs another, how many could someone possibly need...and if it isn't a free app I don't want it B)

I think more games are made for iOS, specifically iPad. iPad games are fairly well made but at $500+ for an iPad it's the most expensive gaming system there is.

I watch a show on G4TV that reviews at least one iOS game an episode and I often can't find the game they're reviewing on my phone yet. But things are changing, I read that Gameloft, one of the bigger mobile phone game makers, are going to offer all there games on both platforms.

I used an iPod touch for a few years and I bought a few games for it. But now I see my phone as more a tool and information device more than a gaming console. I do have a few free games like Pinball, Tetris and a Trivia App. If I'm going to spend more than 10 minutes playing a video game, I'll turn on my Xbox.

iPhones are a fashion statement for girls. I have yet to find a bejeweled Samsung Galaxy case. :D

hey now that you mention it, there are a lot of kiosks in the malls that cater to Iphone accessories...I had an incredible assortment of cases for my galaxy to choose from, clear, white or purple :rolleyes: ...

hey now that you mention it, there are a lot of kiosks in the malls that cater to Iphone accessories...I had an incredible assortment of cases for my galaxy to choose from, clear, white or purple :rolleyes: ...

The case anyone should get is a Casemate or Otter case. My phone still retails for $600, don't every want to break it.

I think more games are made for iOS, specifically iPad. iPad games are fairly well made but at $500+ for an iPad it's the most expensive gaming system there is.

I watch a show on G4TV that reviews at least one iOS game an episode and I often can't find the game they're reviewing on my phone yet. But things are changing, I read that Gameloft, one of the bigger mobile phone game makers, are going to offer all there games on both platforms.

I used an iPod touch for a few years and I bought a few games for it. But now I see my phone as more a tool and information device more than a gaming console. I do have a few free games like Pinball, Tetris and a Trivia App. If I'm going to spend more than 10 minutes playing a video game, I'll turn on my Xbox.

IT always makes me wonder why Nintendo and Sony haven't caught on to the imminent (IMO) death of their portables. The mass market doesn't want quality games with developed story. They want dinky games that monkeys can play. I haven't found a game on any portable device that wasn't anything other than a time waster. Alas, I am someone who enjoys story line and character building, and strategic games that require some thought and planning. Not just point and "flick". (I do find angry birds mildly entertaining though)

my GS2 was $150 plus 3 year contract...I've dropped it a number of times no damage...

Some designers like to put the glass right up to the edges so that the screen is more likely to crack. They claim it is for looks but it is designed to break.

-> buffer from glass to edge

-> edge that sticks up above the glass to absorb shock/prevent contact a bit.

Noticeably missing in some products that I notice smashed everywhere I go.

Some designers like to put the glass right up to the edges so that the screen is more likely to crack. They claim it is for looks but it is designed to break.

-> buffer from glass to edge

-> edge that sticks up above the glass to absorb shock/prevent contact a bit.

Noticeably missing in some products that I notice smashed everywhere I go.

I can believe there may be a design flaw which causes breakage but it wouldn't be good business to sabotage your own product you erode a loyal repeat customer trust...

I can believe there may be a design flaw which causes breakage but it wouldn't be good business to sabotage your own product you erode a loyal repeat customer trust...

You can when it is entirely the "fault" of the user. I mean, products aren't meant to be dropped.

Apple is really good at moving the blame to the consumer, since the average consumer understands very little about HOW the tech works, they buy it.

"You aren't holding the phone correctly." (Lies, Apple implemented an antenna poorly)

"The heat is within specifications and is only uncomfortable when playing games for a long time: (Or maybe they didn't implment proper cooling in their product? maybe?)

"Your phone is running slower because newer apps take more power" (Mostly lies, phones run slower because patches increase the overhead required for the phone to run, refresh it back to the original and it will run just as fast as it did the day you bought it)

It's all part of planned obsolesence. Apple has always been a subtle pusher of it. Attempted to take out replaceable batteries, inability to fix the tech on your own, inability to upgrade your hardware, inability to install new software on older hardware, etc, etc.

It's why my wife's iBook couldn't access the internet when it was 3-4 years old...

It's why iCloud doesn't work on any Mac with Snow leopard (which is only a few years old!) even while the competition (Dropbox) Works on anything, including linux.

Any other company takes heat for their failures and often admits they are working on a solution. Apple could sell 200sq ft condo's and tell everyone that it's not that they made the condo's small, it's that you don't know how to efficiently use space. iZombies would buy them.

The Lightbulb Conspiracy is an interesting film about planned and forced obsolescence. Discussing how lightbulbs used to have 2000hour lives and were shortend to 1000hours to sell more. The scary part is for modern technology. Companies have designed their printers to shutdown and fail after a certain number of prints with a simple counter chip. Unless you are the engineer of the product, you have no clue what is purposefully going wrong with your tech and will have 0 chance of ever finding it. Slowly increase drain on the processing power, poor reception, etc.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Good knows for "Android Fan Boys"

http://www.phonesreview.co.uk/2012/08/17/latest-android-4-1-jelly-bean-update-news-for-devices/

Over on Pocket-Lint they’ve been keeping tabs on all the latest manufacturer statements about the Jelly Bean update so we thought we’d tell you the latest on what they have to say as well as the latest rumors. We’ll start off with Samsung and in an earlier statement regarding the Jelly Bean update Samsung referred to the Galaxy S3 (S III) and also Galaxy Note when mentioning which devices might be eligible for the upgrade. Speculation later followed that the Samsung Galaxy S2 (S II) would also receive the update and the latest rumors of the last few days speak of the Jelly Bean update for the Galaxy S3 possibly beginning to roll out on August 29, the same date as the Galaxy Note 2 is expected to debut. It is not yet clear if the Galaxy Note 2 will launch with Jelly Bean but if not then an update is expected in the following months.

I have ICS and have had relatively few problems but I've read lots of horror stories about the OS. A large majority of Android devices are still on OS 2.3 or AKA as Gingerbread. Seems to be the most stable version of the OS.

The thing about Android is it's so open form that you can get launchers and apps that do many of the things the latest updates get.

That being said the two features that make Jelly Bean interesting are rather compelling. Apparently you can replay to text and e-mail notification straight from the notification bar. So you don't have to launch e-mail or texting software to send an e-mail or a text. And Google Now sounds rather interesting if you don't mind your phone learning from you and recommending stuff for you.

You can when it is entirely the "fault" of the user. I mean, products aren't meant to be dropped.

Apple is really good at moving the blame to the consumer, since the average consumer understands very little about HOW the tech works, they buy it.

"You aren't holding the phone correctly." (Lies, Apple implemented an antenna poorly)

"The heat is within specifications and is only uncomfortable when playing games for a long time: (Or maybe they didn't implment proper cooling in their product? maybe?)

"Your phone is running slower because newer apps take more power" (Mostly lies, phones run slower because patches increase the overhead required for the phone to run, refresh it back to the original and it will run just as fast as it did the day you bought it)

It's all part of planned obsolesence. Apple has always been a subtle pusher of it. Attempted to take out replaceable batteries, inability to fix the tech on your own, inability to upgrade your hardware, inability to install new software on older hardware, etc, etc.

It's why my wife's iBook couldn't access the internet when it was 3-4 years old...

It's why iCloud doesn't work on any Mac with Snow leopard (which is only a few years old!) even while the competition (Dropbox) Works on anything, including linux.

Any other company takes heat for their failures and often admits they are working on a solution. Apple could sell 200sq ft condo's and tell everyone that it's not that they made the condo's small, it's that you don't know how to efficiently use space. iZombies would buy them.

The Lightbulb Conspiracy is an interesting film about planned and forced obsolescence. Discussing how lightbulbs used to have 2000hour lives and were shortend to 1000hours to sell more. The scary part is for modern technology.

yeah sure some of that goes on but I tend to think most of it due to unforeseen design flaws and companies don't want to admit to it... and technology advances so quickly many products are obsolete and incompatible with newer products even before they break down...
Companies have designed their printers to shutdown and fail after a certain number of prints with a simple counter chip. Unless you are the engineer of the product, you have no clue what is purposefully going wrong with your tech and will have 0 chance of ever finding it. Slowly increase drain on the processing power, poor reception, etc.
here is where I find fault with that logic...maybe I'm alone in thinking this way but I doubt it, when a product fails prematurely I NEVER buy a product from that company again...Viewsonic, panasonic, dell, toshiba will never again get another loonie from me...so if planned failure is part of their business plan it's failing miserably...I value reliability and reward companies that provide it with repeat business...

I have a Lenovo ThinkPad, which is an Android PC tablet I wanted an e-reader and this is the same thing, but has a web browser and camera attached to it. Nice handy little device that runs on a wireless network. but it does not seem to be able to multi-task. If I run a web page in the browser, such as streaming radio then open new browser window to read the news headlines, the streaming radio halts. It resumes again if I make it the foreground window. I assume it's just a limitation of Android.