Windows Phone or Android

The iPhone is the devil so I'm not even considering them.

Last night I played the Retention game with Rogers and I think I finally got them down to a deal I can work with.

Pick a phone?

http://www.nokia.com/ca-en/products/phone/lumia710/

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/12/26/samsung-galaxy-s-glide-review-video/

I'm an Xbox Live user so the idea of being able to use it on my phone sounds nice but I'm worries about the future of Nokia and the Windows platform. It's almost simplistic to a fault. Every mobile phone I've had with Rogers has been Nokia.

My wife has an Android tablet, A Kobo. I hate it but it's only $200 and meant for reading not surfing the web. I like the fact the Glide has a keyboard. Not a huge fan of touchscreen typing. These dual-processor phones appear to be kicking Apple's butt.

Any other recommendations?

Edited by Boges

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Manny

Which ones? Or are you referring to all smart phones.

Any with a small display. Them little phones are only good for you young urbanites. My cell phone is an old Telus, two-hander. Nice big buttons, very simple display.

No internet.

The iPhone is the devil so I'm not even considering them.

Last night I played the Retention game with Rogers and I think I finally got them down to a deal I can work with.

Pick a phone?

http://www.nokia.com/ca-en/products/phone/lumia710/

http://mobilesyrup.com/2011/12/26/samsung-galaxy-s-glide-review-video/

Of the two, I'd get the Samsung Galaxy S. Be aware, however, that that is two generations old. It'd be like buying an iPhone 3 today. You should be looking at the recently launched Galaxy S III these days.

What is this? Tell me your secrets.

You gotta tell them you want to cancel and be serious. I have a feeling they can tell if you're bluffing.

I actually called back again today to confirm and got a better deal.

$52 taxes in for a 500mb plan. If I go over that I can go up to a gig for only $5

I guess it's all about what you want and not what they're including. They wantrf to include My10. Do you have 10 people you talk to all the time? That's an expensive service.

So I get 100 texts messages free, 200 anytime minutes and free evenings and weekends starting at 6pm. That's perfectly fine for someone like me. Call display is a big feature I want, but I don't care about voice mail.

Why do I have to pay $70 for data and unlimited talk and text? I'm not a teenage girl, I'm married I live with the person I talk to the most.

I'm sure someone here got something better but this plan is only $6 more than I was paying before so I'm pretty happy

I was really tempted to go with WIND but I had a feeling their coverage was going to be a problem.

Edited by Boges

Of the two, I'd get the Samsung Galaxy S. Be aware, however, that that is two generations old. It'd be like buying an iPhone 3 today. You should be looking at the recently launched Galaxy S III these days.

They don't offer the Galaxy S3 on Rogers yet. Galaxy S II LTE might be the phone I'll have to go with. I'll go to the Rogers store tomorrow to pick a phone up.

Crackberries are a dying platform. It's only really good if you're constantly e-mailing people.

One truth, Blackberry's are more secure than any of the other platforms out there. This is the main reason why businesses go with Blackberry over any other platform for their smartphones. But the difference here is Blackberry is a tool, not a toy.

One truth, Blackberry's are more secure than any of the other platforms out there. This is the main reason why businesses go with Blackberry over any other platform for their smartphones. But the difference here is Blackberry is a tool, not a toy.

That's why their marketing says. I like that ad with the Hip Hop DJ's that say they use BB instead of another smartphone because they need a tool.

But it's total crap because a smartphone is only really as good as the apps you can download for it. And in that category RIM is failing miserably.

I have a friend who was a BB fanboy. He even had a BB Torch and a Playbook. (You can't even get a Torch anymore from Rogers) He said he made the move to Android because it was taking so long to get BB10 up and running and the previews didn't make it look any better than what Droid is currently offering.

They failed with the Playbook. Not only that, lately they announced they are putting more focus back on business instead of the end user consumer market. The end user market is not their strong point.

But it really depends on what you want out of a phone, and how much privacy you are willing to give up.

Well it's telling that Rogers or Bell don't sell the Torch anymore. A phone with a touch screen that tries to mimic the current generation of Super Phones.

Must have sold horribly.

Not everyone can have a hit all the time. The Torches were garbage as were the newer model of Curves. The new Curves were just not durable.

Not everyone can have a hit all the time. The Torches were garbage as were the newer model of Curves. The new Curves were just not durable.

Well RIM has to fit into their original niche then. I have family that doesn't live in Canada and they tell me that outside of North America, BB is still immensely popular. Probably because it doesn't require the juice and data that the super phones do. Also it's a secure network for vital information. But how much of the marketshare does that cover?

If you're interested in cool apps, social networking and games BB isn't the phone for you.

That being said there are some cool messaging apps that Android has that make it about as seemless as BBM.

Edited by Boges

Well RIM has to fit into their original niche then. I have family that doesn't live in Canada and they tell me that outside of North America, BB is still immensely popular. Probably because it doesn't require the juice and data that the super phones do. Also it's a secure network for vital information. But how much of the marketshare does that cover?

If you're interested in cool apps, social networking and games BB isn't the phone for you.

Good thing I can't stand most social media or apps.

That being said there are some cool messaging apps that Android has that make it about as seemless as BBM.

Also BB messenger from BB to BB does not cost anything.

The one I have is supplied to me from work, and for business stuff, it is the best really. Otherwise I may not have a cell phone at all.

Good thing I can't stand most social media or apps.

Also BB messenger from BB to BB does not cost anything.

The one I have is supplied to me from work, and for business stuff, it is the best really. Otherwise I may not have a cell phone at all.

There's Google Talk that works a lot like BBM, plus you can use video if you'd like.

And it does cost money, those messages need data, not a lot of data but you need data to make those words travel from one phone to the other.