Michael Hardner should have additional 'powers'

The spambots are getting bad again. Michael Hardner should have the ability to delete posts and disable accounts, but only for handling spammer accounts. He should continue to advise posters of the rules, but not use these permissions to modify posters' contributions or to disable their accounts.

What do others think or does he already have these permissions?

Edited by cybercoma

Perhaps MH is responsible for the spammers so that he is granted special powers over this forum. Then he will bring in his own storm troopers to deal with these spammers.... And once he has an army of storm troopers in this forum..... Who will be safe????

Guest American Woman

I don't like the idea of anonymous moderators having access to our accounts; whether they have "permission" to do something or not, if they have the power/ability, there's nothing to guarantee that they won't abuse that "power." I like the idea that we know who Greg and Charles are; ie: they aren't moderating under a pseudonym.

I don't like the idea of anonymous moderators having access to our accounts; whether they have "permission" to do something or not, if they have the power/ability, there's nothing to guarantee that they won't abuse that "power." I like the idea that we know who Greg and Charles are; ie: they aren't moderating under a pseudonym.

You don't know that they're not moderating under pseudonyms. Besides, if you're worried about a tyrant moderator abusing his/her power, then you may need to step away from your computer for awhile. The worst that can happen is they delete your account or ban you. Big deal. You can just sign up again and email Greg and Charles about it and they'll deal with it. Anyone that would be worried about losing their posting history takes their foruming a bit too seriously.

And we're talking about Michael Hardner here. Funny how you think Charles Anthony uses his real name but MH doesn't. He was voted in to be the facilitator and he has been nothing but fair and balanced in his approach. It's really unlikely he would abuse his powers.

Edited by cybercoma

Guest American Woman

You don't know that they're not moderating under pseudonyms.

Yes, I do. Greg and Charles both use their real names.

Besides, if you're worried about a tyrant moderator abusing his/her power, then you may need to step away from your computer for awhile. The worst that can happen is they delete your account or ban you. Big deal. You can just sign up again and email Greg and Charles about it and they'll deal with it. Anyone that would be worried about losing their posting history takes their foruming a bit too seriously.

Where did I say I was worried about losing my posting history? :rolleyes: a thousand times over

And we're talking about Michael Hardner here. Funny how you think Charles Anthony uses his real name but MH doesn't.

I don't think it, I know it. I know Charles uses his real name and I know "Micheal" doesn't; however, I wasn't just referring to Michael, but the "more moderators needed" comment in general.

He was voted in to be the facilitator and he has been nothing but fair and balanced in his approach. It's really unlikely he would abuse his powers.

You have your opinion, I have mine - and since I wasn't stating my opinion for your benefit, nor do I care how you feel about it, let's just leave it at that. :)

The forum does need more moderation, provided it's consistent. And btw, why is it whenever I report a post there's an almost full minute of wait before the report goes through and I can do something else? Happens every single time. Last one being the other day when I reported some sort of spam thing. Is this to discourage people from reporting posts?

And btw, why is it whenever I report a post there's an almost full minute of wait before the report goes through and I can do something else? Happens every single time.
Same problem here.

As to MH's "powers", I would favour anything that makes the job of moderating easier. OTOH, I think certain powers should be restricted.

Is spam really a problem? It seems to me that it has been problematic in the past but it's not a problem now.

Well, it appears MH has the power to get rid of spammers' posts. He just needs to clone himself now, so he can clean up the forum 24/7. lol

Yes, we don't need to give Michael super-powers, we simply need to clone him.

-k

Edited by kimmy