Will Justin Trudeau Cross the Aisle?

30 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Replies 169
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Did Justin ride his father's name?

Absolutely!

Man do you think this guy would have ever entered politics was it not for Pierre???Or would he even ever get elected?

If his dad was just another joe like you or I,he would still be a joe!

Actually I would have more respect for the guy if he was only a joe.

WWWTT

Absolutely!

Man do you think this guy would have ever entered politics was it not for Pierre???Or would he even ever get elected?

WWWTT

I don't know if he would have entered politics or not, and neither do you. Would Jack Layton have? Would Maxime Bernier have?

If people are willing to vote for him due to his last name is that his fault? Do you think he should have changed his name? Justin has made comments many time about distancing himself from his father.

I don't know if he would have entered politics or not, and neither do you. Would Jack Layton have? Would Maxime Bernier have?

If people are willing to vote for him due to his last name is that his fault? Do you think he should have changed his name? Justin has made comments many time about distancing himself from his father.

True I do not know about him entering politics.

I do believe many people did vote for him because of his name and celebrity associated with that name!

But running for a seat and being the leader are two different things.

If you support him then good luck.I personally believe he doesn't have what it takes to be a party leader.

He relies to heavily on flash and glitter that worked for many politicians in the past.I believe that many voters have moved away from a TV/Hollywood images to a more reality based leaders.

WWWTT

True I do not know about him entering politics.

I do believe many people did vote for him because of his name and celebrity associated with that name!

But running for a seat and being the leader are two different things.

If you support him then good luck.I personally believe he doesn't have what it takes to be a party leader.

He relies to heavily on flash and glitter that worked for many politicians in the past.I believe that many voters have moved away from a TV/Hollywood images to a more reality based leaders.

WWWTT

I don't know if he has what it takes to be Prime Minister but I do think he has what it takes to be Liberal leader.

He may spell funny, but you still don't know how to use a semi-colon.

Where in my message do you think a semi-colon is needed? I will allow that I forgot a "?" where needed though. This has been fixed on edit. Edited by jbg

With his recent attacks on Mulcair and a leadership bid being more likely I highly doubt it.
If Trudeau Jnr runs for the federal Liberal leadership, he will split the anti-Harper vote and ensure a Tory re-election.

I think he'll eventually switch sides and the negotiations are in swing now. I suspect that the stumbling block is the so-called Sherbrooke Declaration and what to do with Dion.

Layton Jnr did not get a name from his father; like Mulcair and Lougheed, he received a demeanour.

Bernier Jnr, like Trudeau fils, really did receive a family name. In the case of Bernier, the name matters in the Beauce and allows him to be, do or say pretty much what he wants. In a way, I wish that there were more MPs such as Bernier Jnr.

As to Trudeau, to his credit and unlike his father, he ran in a less-than-obvious riding.

-----

When many Europeans fell to the seductive charms of Hitler, Churchill saw through the charlatan from the start. I reckon that Churchill, born with a silver spoon in his mouth, had no fear to think differently, and say what he thought.

As much as it peeves me to say this, there is something to be said for inherited status.

Edited by August1991

If Trudeau Jnr runs for the federal Liberal leadership, he will split the anti-Harper vote and ensure a Tory re-election.

Oh so now you believe it's the anti Harper vote that is the conservatives biggest enemy.

Anything but give the NDP the credit that they deserve right?

Here's an idea,maybe people vote NDP because they like NDP policy!Maybe the NDP relate to more and more Canadians as the conservatives become more and more isolated.

If Ignatief Jr. becomes the liberal leader,you can kiss the conservative youth vote goodbye(pretty much the entire conservative swing vote to).

Keep in mind that the growing NDP poll numbers are coming from citizens that vote!

WWWTT

Absolutely!

WWWTT

that's unfair...kids often follow their parents footsteps, if pierre was an MD you wouldn't begrudge jr becoming a MD as well...I know entire families of MDs', entire families of engineers, entire families of bricklayers and cooks, families share interests and skill sets ...judge him on his own merits not his fathers...

and no I'm not a liberal...

that's unfair...kids often follow their parents footsteps, if pierre was an MD you wouldn't begrudge jr becoming a MD as well...I know entire families of MDs', entire families of engineers, entire families of bricklayers and cooks, families share interests and skill sets ...judge him on his own merits not his fathers...

I'm not sure if you are insulting MD's,engineers and the building trades,or if you are insulting politicians?

Lets broaden the scope of occupations shall we.

Lets look at successful artists and musicians.

Ok there's Woody Guthrie followed by Arlo Guthrie,uhm,who else is there?

I'm sure there are others.I am not sure of artists,actors,comedians,etc,etc.

True families share interests,but being a successful MD/electrician is not the same as being a successful leader!

WWWTT

I'm not sure if you are insulting MD's,engineers and the building trades,or if you are insulting politicians?

Lets broaden the scope of occupations shall we.

Lets look at successful artists and musicians.

Ok there's Woody Guthrie followed by Arlo Guthrie,uhm,who else is there?

I'm sure there are others.I am not sure of artists,actors,comedians,etc,etc.

True families share interests,but being a successful MD/electrician is not the same as being a successful leader!

WWWTT

and gordie howes sons weren't anywhere near their dad at hockey...I'm not speculating whether Jr will be as an effective leader as his father but I'm not picking on him because he wants to be a politician either, it was natural occupational choice for the son of a politician ....

and gordie howes sons weren't anywhere near their dad at hockey...I'm not speculating whether Jr will be as an effective leader as his father but I'm not picking on him because he wants to be a politician either, it was natural occupational choice for the son of a politician ....

So are you saying that Ben Harper will follow his father's footsteps? I think this fall he's off to university.

I am sure we can find examples that stick out.But they are not as common as you are making them sound however.

I think there are a couple of ways of looking at this.

I personally believe that being a successful political leader is more of an art form.

This would explain why there is not many examples in Canada or the US.By the way when I say leader I do not mean senator,MP,congressman or MPP because there are many examples of these.And we are talking about Justin leading the liberal party as opposed to him just being an MP.

The other way of looking at this I believe has not been mentioned.And that is the monarchy entitlement that many believe we left behind.

WWWTT

So are you saying that Ben Harper will follow his father's footsteps? I think this fall he's off to university.

it's not a given but there's no reason why not, parents not surprisingly are huge influences on their children interests...I know an entire family of lawyers, dad and three kids, a family of MD's Dad, mom and 2 of 3 kids, the 3rd wasn't accepted into medicine, families of farmers...it's not an unusual situation at all...

my point in all this is that it's unfair for anyone to label Jr T as an opportunist cashing in on his fathers reputation in seeking political office...

my point in all this is that it's unfair for anyone to label Jr T as an opportunist cashing in on his fathers reputation in seeking political office...

What really gets me is that many people want to promote Justin because of his heritage,and that is just plain wrong!

It is unfair to those who have the wits and drive.

Just another example of why the liberals are where they are.

Its not my job to help this party,in fact its my job to do the exact opposite.

Good luck!

WWWTT

What really gets me is that many people want to promote Justin because of his heritage,and that is just plain wrong!

Just another example of why the liberals are where they are.

Its not my job to help this party,in fact its my job to do the exact opposite.

Good luck!

WWWTT

It's not Trudeau's fault that people are that stupid though.

Let's hope not.

Most likely another Harper would turn out to be the same as Bush 41 and Bush 43....dumb and dumber.

At least Ben Mulroney had the smarts to stay away from politics with his old man being hated by so many.

ya sure it's the celebrity/messiah/great white hope thingy I can agree with that....
unless you know something about Jr that I don't(which is very possible)how do we know that he doesn't have wits and drive? aren't you being premature?

unless you know something about Jr that I don't(which is very possible)how do we know that he doesn't have wits and drive? aren't you being premature?

Yes possibly?

However I have not seen him use other than flash/glitzy tactics,so based on my observation he has not shown any signs of leadership.

I know one thing for sure,if I needed help from a professional/skilled person,I would not wait to get the help from someone that needed to learn the skill first(even if they were capable of learning). I would get the help from the best experienced or capable person at the quickest reasonable time!(keeping in mind that politics can not be fairly compared to other professions)

Makes sense to me,and when you start doing things that don't make sense and only to scratch your head and ask "why you guys doing that for?" you end up becoming like the liberal party!

WWWTT

• 4 weeks later...

Here are the facts:

-Despite what people seem to be saying here the NDP are not strong or cohesive enough (especially in Quebec) to hold the ground they gained in 2011

-The Liberals will be back. The party's history of resiliency combined with Rae's tenacity as interim leader (a position he will hold for at least another year or two) will put the Liberals back on track in the long term.

-The Canadian left are not as stupid as they look. They know the only reason this NDP caucus was elected was because of strategic voting against the Conservatives. They also know it didn't work. Next election will see half the people who voted NDP to spite the right flocking back to the Liberals (a far more credible and strategically sound choice for over-throwing the Conservative government).

-The Liberals (Trudeau included) know all this. Any Liberals MPs who abandon ship and cross the aisle will find themselves on the wrong end of a newly elected Liberal opposition (or government) come 2015. Nobody with any sense would be willing to take that risk.

-Deep down, behind his creepy goatee Justin DOES have leadership ambitions. He's a Trudeau, and as such egotistical ambition is in his blood. Frankly (despite what he's told the media) I wouldn't be suprised if he through his hat in the next leadership race. If not now then certainly the next available opportunity. He knows his chances of winning a leadership race are infinitely better with the Liberals than with the NDP.

Justin Trudeau has about as much chance crossing the aisle as Ralph Goodale. None.

Edited by Right-of-Centre

Here are the facts:

-Despite what people seem to be saying here the NDP are not strong or cohesive enough (especially in Quebec) to hold the ground they gained in 2011

-The Liberals will be back. The party's history of resiliency combined with Rae's tenacity as interim leader (a position he will hold for at least another year or two) will put the Liberals back on track in the long term.

-The Canadian left are not as stupid as they look. They know the only reason this NDP caucus was elected was because of strategic voting against the Conservatives. They also know it didn't work. Next election will see half the people who voted NDP to spite the right flocking back to the Liberals (a far more credible and strategically sound choice for over-throwing the Conservative government).

-The Liberals (Trudeau included) know all this. Any Liberals MPs who abandon ship and cross the aisle will find themselves on the wrong end of a newly elected Liberal opposition (or government) come 2015. Nobody with any sense would be willing to take that risk.

-Deep down, behind his creepy goatee Justin DOES have leadership ambitions. He's a Trudeau, and as such egotistical ambition is in his blood. Frankly (despite what he's told the media) I wouldn't be suprised if he through his hat in the next leadership race. If not now then certainly the next available opportunity. He knows his chances of winning a leadership race are infinitely better with the Liberals than with the NDP.

Justin Trudeau has about as much chance crossing the aisle as Ralph Goodale. None.

hmm ya first it was the smiling Jack excuse, then it was the leadership hangover excuse, now it's the liberals don't have a leader excuse...all these excuses and yet NDP support is still strengthening and firming up across the country a fact that strikes terror into harperites as they know any further swing of liberal support to the NDP is their doom...it's in the harperites interest to keep the 60%+ of progressive canadians divided into multiple parties (NDP/liberal/green)in order to cling to their phoney majority... Edited by wyly

it's in the harperites interest to keep the 60%+ of progressive canadians divided into multiple parties (NDP/liberal/green)in order to cling to their phoney majority...

This is a typical garbage answer from the NDP left. The "Harperites" are not dividing anyone up into multiple parties.

Unless they are the anti-democratic scum who vote strategically against another party, most people chose a party based on their beliefs. Despite what you may think the Liberals are not the NDP. The only thing the Liberals and the NDP share is a hatred of the Conservatives. I challenge the NDP and the Libs to merge and create a single "left-wing" party because I know it would be the most dysfunctional thing on the planet. Take a look at the policies of the last few Liberal governments and tell me that they actually align with NDP policy. The Liberals have no interest in the left unless they are loosing.

If you wish to be a part of a two-party system feel free to move to America. It's clearly working so well down there.

Edited by Right-of-Centre

If you wish to be a part of a two-party system feel free to move to America. It's clearly working so well down there.
Actually it does. Compared to Canada 2004-11. And Canada 1979-80.