U.S. wins hearts and minds -

Guest American Woman

Guest American Woman

It's just as I said in the sarcastic "U.S. continues to win hearts and minds" thread - when a U.S. soldier does bad, the whole world reacts - and too many condemn the whole; but when a U.S. soldier does good, there's barely a reaction. How unfair to those devoting their lives to making Afghanistan and Iraq a better place - such as this 29 year old soldier and father of 3, who gave his life to save the life of a little Afghan girl.

Rhode Island Guard Soldier makes selfless, ultimate sacrifice for Afghan child

The actions of one Rhode Island National Guard Soldier epitomized the Army Value of selfless service, "doing one's duty loyally without thought of recognition or gain," as he heroically saved an Afghan child without regard for his own life.

Sgt. Dennis Weichel Jr. died March 22, from injuries sustained when he was struck by an armored fighting vehicle after moving an Afghan child to safety.

‘Hero’ U.S. Soldier Gives Life to Save Afghan Girl

It is a compelling war-zone story of heroism of a U.S. soldier who gave his own life to save an Afghan girl from certain injury.

Sgt. Dennis Weichel, 29, died in Afghanistan last week as he lifted an Afghan girl who was in the path of a large military vehicle barreling down a road.

Weichel spotted the girl and quickly moved toward her to get her out of the way. He succeeded, but not before he was run over by the heavily armored truck. The girl was safe, but Weichel later died of his injuries. He had arrived in Afghanistan a few weeks ago and had been a member of the Rhode Island National Guard since 2001.

May he RIP.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Manny

How tragic that he had to die like this. He showed himself to be a courageous person, unlike soldiers who wantonly kill non-combatants. But they should indeed be criticized for murder.

Why was the large armoured vehicle "barrelling down the road", such that it was not able to see people in the way? I've read other news about US military vehicles driving over people before, both in Iraq and in Afghanistan. In some cases driving right over cars with people in them when there was a traffic jam, crushing them to death. Maybe they will be more careful now.

Guest American Woman

Blame your media.

Why? They reported it - but the usual crowd didn't react. If this soldier had killed the girl, and had had the same media coverage, the usual 'critics' would have been all over it. So I blame the reaction of the people at large.

Your reaction is a perfect example, actually, as you had nothing to say about the soldier's actions.

I don't know about you, but the media doesn't control me - and if you are controlled by the media, I suggest you develop the art of critical thinking - but odd that you claim it's the media's fault, as you don't "blame the media" when the troops are being demonized.

Guest American Woman
Why was the large armoured vehicle "barrelling down the road", such that it was not able to see people in the way?

Did you even read the article? They were able to see people in the way, which is why the troops were clearing the kids out. The little girl ran back. I doubt if such a vehicle can stop on a dime, regardless of how fast it was going.

I've read other news about US military vehicles driving over people before, both in Iraq and in Afghanistan. In some cases driving right over cars with people in them when there was a traffic jam, crushing them to death. Maybe they will be more careful now.

Really. You've read that, have you? Some links would be nice. And fyi, they were being careful. The little girl darted back. But of course we can't have an incident of a soldier doing good without finding bad. It's just as I said.

Edited by American Woman

Look...I read the article...

The Sargeant performed a heroic act and died in the process...

Is the point of this post to provide balance or is it to trumpet the mission in Afghanistan?

If it's the latter,history tells us that any outside military intervention into that country will end in abject failure...This one included...

I don't know about you, but the media doesn't control me - and if you are controlled by the media, I suggest you develop the art of critical thinking - but odd that you claim it's the media's fault, as you don't "blame the media" when the troops are being demonized.

You're definitely not under your own control, you're just one big button that says 'push me'.

In any case, thanks for bring the story to our attention. I never would have heard of it otherwise. Sure sucks to be Dennis Weichel Jr. alright.

Look...I read the article...

The Sargeant performed a heroic act and died in the process...

Is the point of this post to provide balance or is it to trumpet the mission in Afghanistan?

If it's the latter,history tells us that any outside military intervention into that country will end in abject failure...This one included...

I doubt AW means either. More the irony of the situation. Remember, if a 'white guy' had shot Zimmerman his Latino roots would have suddenly become apparent. Same deal in Laughghanistan.

I doubt AW means either. More the irony of the situation. Remember, if a 'white guy' had shot Zimmerman his Latino roots would have suddenly become apparent. Same deal in Laughghanistan.

Both links tell the story of a Sargeant performing a heroic act...I agree...

Why post this,if not for balance,when she has admitted she felt the othe "hearts and Minds" thread was "sarcastic" (it was) and she was a bit put off by it?

Whatever...I didn't know this happened so it's good it's out there now...

By the way,we now have someone posting as "The Right One" (interesting terminology) claiming Zimmerman is a "Mestizo (mulatto...losely translated as "mule") and a half-Jew"...Interesting how racially charged events bring certain types out,eh?

Both links tell the story of a Sargeant performing a heroic act...I agree...

Why post this,if not for balance,when she has admitted she felt the othe "hearts and Minds" thread was "sarcastic" (it was) and she was a bit put off by it?

Whatever...I didn't know this happened so it's good it's out there now...

By the way,we now have someone posting as "The Right One" (interesting terminology) claiming Zimmerman is a "Mestizo (mulatto...losely translated as "mule") and a half-Jew"...Interesting how racially charged events bring certain types out,eh?

Check the transgender thread...lol.

Guest Manny

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct/06/opinion/oe-gans6

As we approached at typical breakneck speed, the Blackwater driver honked furiously and motioned to the side, as if they should pull over. The kids in the back seat looked back in horror, mouths agape at the sight of the heavily armored Suburbans driven by large, armed men in dark sunglasses. The poor Iraqi driver frantically searched for a means of escape, but there was none. So the lead Blackwater vehicle smashed heedlessly into the car, pushing it into the barrier. We zoomed by too quickly to notice if anyone was hurt.

http://english.people.com.cn/200503/18/eng20050318_177392.html

Three Iraqi civilians were killed Friday when a US military truck ran over a civilian vehicle on the main road between Tikrit and Kirkuk north of Baghdad, police said.

"A convoy of US military trucks was heading toward Kirkuk at about 8:00 a.m. (0500 GMT) on Friday, when one of its trucks ran over a civilian car coming from the other side, killing three people aboard," a source in Tikrit police told Xinhua.

"The civilian car was leveled on the road,".

Afghanistan civilian carnage increasing

During January 2009, twelve U.S/NATO forces’ actions (including one road accident where a MRAP military armored vehicle crushed an Afghan civilian car) resulted in 73-88 dead Afghan civilians (including five Pashtun tribes people in North Waziristan killed in a U.S. drone strike).

Note the MRAP is the same kind of vehicle desribed in your post which ran over the US soldier.

He's either 1.) a right-wing Stormfront type (his persona); or 2.) a leftie pretending to be one to make them look bad (as if that's necessary! :)); or 3.) some slightly amatuerish provocateur trying to get a rise out of people.

I think he's 1.) and 3.), if I had to guess.....

Guest American Woman

Note the MRAP is the same kind of vehicle desribed in your post which ran over the US soldier.

Try to understand that the vehicle described in my post ran over the U.S. soldier because the little girl darted back in front of it. That was no one's fault; not any more fault that if you were going down the road, being as careful as you could be, and a child ran out right in front of you - and you hit her.

The soldier risked his life to save the little girl's life. There is no negative on the part of the U.S. troops to this incident. The fact that you are finding fault where there is none just proves my point.

He's either 1.) a right-wing Stormfront type (his persona); or 2.) a leftie pretending to be one to make them look bad (as if that's necessary! :)); or 3.) some slightly amatuerish provocateur trying to get a rise out of people.

I think he's 1.) and 3.), if I had to guess.....

Or it's Lictor back for a little more....

Guest American Woman

That's the truth - since when is a guy with Latino roots a "white guy," eh? I guess the answer is - when he done wrong. When I first saw the photo of Zimmerman, I thought I was looking at the wrong guy.

As I said, people need to think for themselves, not let the media control them - and of course the people with blogs etc. who present everything they way they want it to be seen regardless of the reality, making a circus out of it, are part of the overall picture. Same goes for people on forums.

At any rate, this 29 year old, father of 3, deserves to be in that limelight too. The troops who are dedicating their lives to help improve the lives of Afghans and Iraqis deserve as much attention as those who on occasion commit negative acts.

Seems only those doing wrong represent the military, though, in too many "critics'" eyes - and they do all they can to promote their view.

That's the truth - since when is a guy with Latino roots a "white guy," eh? I guess the answer is - when he done wrong. When I first saw the photo of Zimmerman, I thought I was looking at the wrong guy.

As I said, people need to think for themselves, not let the media control them - and of course the people with blogs etc. who present everything they way they want it to be seen regardless of the reality, making a circus out of it, are part of the overall picture. Same goes for people on forums.

At any rate, this 29 year old, father of 3, deserves to be in that limelight too. The troops who are dedicating their lives to help improve the lives of Afghans and Iraqis deserve as much attention as those who on occasion commit negative acts.

Seems only those doing wrong represent the military, though, in too many "critics'" eyes - and they do all they can to promote their view.

Agreed about the Zimmerman issue....

And this thread IS about balance,yes?

Bullshit they do.

Especially when they're used to mask or otherwise put a positive spin on the amoral, misguided and outright illegal wars your goddamn leaders led you into.

Guest American Woman

Agreed about the Zimmerman issue....

And this thread IS about balance,yes?

It's partly about balance, to also put the good out there along with the bad, but it's also about pointing out the difference between the reactions to the good and the bad. This incident was reported, but it was ignored by those who pick up on U.S. military incidents - make that negative U.S. military incidents. For them it's all about skewing the situation to fit their views rather than presenting the reality; ie: the whole.

The reality is that there are a lot of troops doing a lot of good, yet it's the negative that we are bombarded with.

At any rate, my heart went out to this soldier for his actions and it goes out to his children; he deserves at least the same attention that the troops peeing on corpses got, and his family deserves to have it out there to the same degree, too.

Guest Manny

Try to understand that the vehicle described in my post ran over the U.S. soldier because the little girl darted back in front of it. That was no one's fault; not any more fault that if you were going down the road, being as careful as you could be, and a child ran out right in front of you - and you hit her.

The soldier risked his life to save the little girl's life. There is no negative on the part of the U.S. troops to this incident. The fact that you are finding fault where there is none just proves my point.

I don't find fault on the soldier, as I clearly stated in my post. Don't turn around my criticism of military tactics and maneuvers per se into criticism of this one soldiers reaction. That is what you're looking for, a fight, isn't it.

Fact is, he could see the problem coming and reacted to it quickly enough to save her life. He had a split second to make a life or death decision. Poor man and his family.

But why did that vehicle come ripping through there so quickly, so that anything in the way gets killed? Those people are not used to seeing that.

And my response will be typical of those who've read lots of news, who know about other incidents where people got killed by wanton careless driving with no regard for anything other than the mission objective. That is the way the mind of war works. When we accept war, we acknowledge our acceptance of this way of thinking.

It's partly about balance, to also put the good out there along with the bad, but it's also about pointing out the difference between the reactions to the good and the bad. This incident was reported, but it was ignored by those who pick up on U.S. military incidents - make that negative U.S. military incidents. For them it's all about skewing the situation to fit their views rather than presenting the reality; ie: the whole.

The reality is that there are a lot of troops doing a lot of good, yet it's the negative that we are bombarded with.

At any rate, my heart went out to this soldier for his actions and it goes out to his children; he deserves at least the same attention that the troops peeing on corpses got, and his family deserves to have it out there to the same degree, too.

I agree...There are always pockets of good coming out of bad overall decisions...

Now about any historical chance of winning anything in Afghanistan...That's not so good...

Guest Manny

I agree...There are always pockets of good coming out of bad overall decisions...

Now about any historical chance of winning anything in Afghanistan...That's not so good...

That's right. On the small scale, thousands of unnecessary deaths and personal hardship. And some good acts where unnecessary deaths were prevented. On a large scale, not much useful attained. No win. Some gains perhaps, but nothing that couldn't have been achieved, by other means.

Guest American Woman

I don't find fault on the soldier, as I clearly stated in my post. Don't turn around my criticism of military tactics and maneuvers per se into criticism of this one soldiers reaction. That is what you're looking for, a fight, isn't it.

I didn't say you did find fault with the soldier who died. Try to respond to what I've actually said.

Fact is, he could see the problem coming and reacted to it quickly enough to save her life. He had a split second to make a life or death decision. Poor man and his family.

Agreed.

But why did that vehicle come ripping through there so quickly, so that anything in the way gets killed? Those people are not used to seeing that.

Really? They're not used to seeing military vehicles going down the road? That's another issue for another time.

Again. The vehicle did NOT "come zipping through there so quickly, so that anything in the way gets killed." I've pointed out to you more than once, and the article clearly says, that the little girl went darting back. There were kids in front of the vehicles, they were cleared out of the way, and the little girl went back. It's this 'creating fault where none exists' that I have been referring to.

And my response will be typical of those who've read lots of news, who know about other incidents where people got killed by wanton careless driving with no regard for anything other than the mission objective. That is the way the mind of war works. When we accept war, we acknowledge our acceptance of this way of thinking.

Yet your response to negative incidents doesn't reflect those who read lots of news, who know about other incidents where people lives have been saved by deliberate decisions and acts by the troops. So no, that is not "the way the mind works:" it's the way the minds of some work, which confirms my observations regarding those who need to find fault with everything, and highlight only the negative.

Guest American Woman

It's a good thing that everyone doesn't always look at the "historical" chance of something positive being accomplished or those events that "historically" should have failed, but didn't, wouldn't have been attempted in the first place.