Tory MP tells high schoolers they should carry guns

Harperrrrrrr, get your loons in control here, geez man, what the hell? I suspect we'll hear more about this from the schools point of view

of course he will deny making such claims!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/29/tory-mp-under-fire-after-allegedly-telling-high-schoolers-girls-should-be-armed/

OTTAWA — Saskatchewan Tory MP Garry Breitkreuz found himself in hot water Thursday after an Ottawa mother complained he told a Grade 10 class that everyone in Canada should be armed — especially girls.

Dianna Sakisheway wrote a scathing letter to Public Safety Minister Vic Toews this week. Her complaint stems from a speech Breitkreuz — known as the father of the legislation to repeal the long-gun registry — gave during a career day at Canterbury High School on March 7.

“I am outraged at the irresponsible conduct of the federal government in promoting gun violence to schoolchildren,” she wrote. “You have gone much too far.”

“Mr. Breitkreuz spent most of his allotted time discussing firearms and cited a Texas study that showed women who carry guns are less likely to get raped, including a specific number of women who avoided rape as they were armed,” Sakisheway wrote in another letter obtained by Postmedia News. “Stop assaulting the sensibilities of our children.”

Edited by stopstaaron

• Replies 379
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

Harperrrrrrr, get your loons in control here, geez man, what the hell? I suspect we'll hear more about this from the schools point of view

of course he will deny making such claims!

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/03/29/tory-mp-under-fire-after-allegedly-telling-high-schoolers-girls-should-be-armed/

OTTAWA — Saskatchewan Tory MP Garry Breitkreuz found himself in hot water Thursday after an Ottawa mother complained he told a Grade 10 class that everyone in Canada should be armed — especially girls.

Dianna Sakisheway wrote a scathing letter to Public Safety Minister Vic Toews this week. Her complaint stems from a speech Breitkreuz — known as the father of the legislation to repeal the long-gun registry — gave during a career day at Canterbury High School on March 7.

“I am outraged at the irresponsible conduct of the federal government in promoting gun violence to schoolchildren,” she wrote. “You have gone much too far.”

“Mr. Breitkreuz spent most of his allotted time discussing firearms and cited a Texas study that showed women who carry guns are less likely to get raped, including a specific number of women who avoided rape as they were armed,” Sakisheway wrote in another letter obtained by Postmedia News. “Stop assaulting the sensibilities of our children.”

I agree with Mr Breitkreuz.........Both my children know how to safely handle firearms (as does my wife) and they’re better for it. Gun safety and clubs etc should be encouraged amongst teenagers (wasn‘t anyone ever in the Boy Scouts?)………It demystifies an inanimate piece of metal, wood and polymer and teaches responsibility……..I’m much rather my teenage son (and nephew and their friends) spend a Saturday with me out at the gun range or a gravel pit putting holes in tin cans and paper then playing a Nintendo shooter game or being “educated” about firearms through movies, TV and rap artists……..

As for the suggestion by the MP for concealed carry, it certainly has merit but would require a drastic change to Canadian self defence laws prior to being brought forward. The legal groundwork has long been established via the Authorization to Carry permit, we just need said prerequisites to be met, then pressure on the CFO in each province to issue them.

I agree with Mr Breitkreuz.........Both my children know how to safely handle firearms (as does my wife) and they’re better for it. Gun safety and clubs etc should be encouraged amongst teenagers (wasn‘t anyone ever in the Boy Scouts?)………It demystifies an inanimate piece of metal, wood and polymer and teaches responsibility……..I’m much rather my teenage son (and nephew and their friends) spend a Saturday with me out at the gun range or a gravel pit putting holes in tin cans and paper then playing a Nintendo shooter game or being “educated” about firearms through movies, TV and rap artists……..

As for the suggestion by the MP for concealed carry, it certainly has merit but would require a drastic change to Canadian self defence laws prior to being brought forward. The legal groundwork has long been established via the Authorization to Carry permit, we just need said prerequisites to be met, then pressure on the CFO in each province to issue them.

Whacko, those are your kids, you can't make the case for everybody elses kids

wacko

Guest Derek L

Whacko, those are your kids, you can't make the case for everybody elses kids

wacko

Have you ever handled a firearm?

And prior to calling names, perhaps you should understand that many youngsters learn to shoot and hunt prior to even becoming teenagers…My father taught me to shoot when I was 6, By 12, I had several .22‘s, shotguns and a Remington 760 hunting rifle....

And nowhere did I say participation in the shooting sports should be mandatory.

Do guns scare you?

Edited by Derek L

And prior to calling names, perhaps you should understand that many youngsters learn to shoot and hunt prior to even becoming teenagers…My father taught my to shoot when I was 6, By 12, I had several .22‘s, shotguns and a Remington 760 hunting rifle....

Do guns scare you?

You're using your own experiences to vouch for the arming of young people .. and people in general

that is why I called you a wacko

Maybe you don't understand what just happened in Florida.. incidents like that happen a lot in the U.S

Edited by stopstaaron

Imagine if he made those remarks in Montreal.

Yea, i mean, imagine if a woman, say, kidnapped in a classroom by a crazy person could have shot back.

Just wtf did you mean by that?

He wants women to protect themselves, how much of an ass do you have to be to believe that women in Montreal wouldnt prefer to shoot back rather than be slaughtered if given the choice? My god man, how pathetic.

And prior to calling names, perhaps you should understand that many youngsters learn to shoot and hunt prior to even becoming teenagers…My father taught my to shoot when I was 6, By 12, I had several .22‘s, shotguns and a Remington 760 hunting rifle....

Do guns scare you?

That's all quite beside the point.

A Member of Parliament told a bunch of kids in school that they should be armed. If you can't see why that's totally unacceptable, then God help you.

Guest Derek L

You're using your own experiences to vouch for the arming of young people .. and people in general

that is why I called you a wacko

Maybe you don't understand what just happened in Florida.. incidents like that happen a lot in the U.S

Arming young people? I advocated gun safety courses and shooting/hunting clubs for teenagers, nowhere did I say any of these programs would be mandatory……We have youth sports like hockey or football…….Hunting and target shooting are both sports.

Again, have you ever handled a firearm?

Arming young people? I advocated gun safety courses and shooting/hunting clubs for teenagers, nowhere did I say any of these programs would be mandatory……We have youth sports like hockey or football…….Hunting and target shooting are both sports.

Again, have you ever handled a firearm?

wtf are you talking about hunting and target shooting? this is about an MP telling high schoolers they should be armed and you agreed with his views

a hunting rifle is different than a glock

and no, I haven't, I don't ever want to

Edited by stopstaaron

Guest Derek L

That's all quite beside the point.

A Member of Parliament told a bunch of kids in school that they should be armed. If you can't see why that's totally unacceptable, then God help you.

God help me? Help me do what? :huh:

Guest Derek L

wtf are you talking about hunting and target shooting? this is about an MP telling high schoolers they should be armed and you agreed with his views

a hunting rifle is different than a glock

and no, I haven't, I don't ever want to

I can tell you haven’t, you referenced a Glock…… :rolleyes:

Guest Derek L

idc, you can't give your own examples of you and your family being responsible and then assuming the rest of the population is responsible enough to handle a gun let alone handle it in public

Hence gun safety courses and clubs…….And the current requirements and amendments required to Canadian laws and the obtaining of the ATC permit.

Guest Derek L

Yeah. I'm sure all those gun safety courses are going to make high school kids responsible enough to carry firearms to class.

Clearly, there are already age restrictions on obtaining and transporting restricted firearms……..With that said, we can already legally arm 17 year olds (16 with parents permission), and with the right conditions, even allow them to kill other people……What’s the difference?

Guest Derek L

FacePalm

Why? What is the difference between a 17 year old in the military, shooting gophers on the farm or hunting out in the bush? Does this translate into said 17 year old going on a shooting spree at their high school if they were armed? :huh:

Why? What is the difference between a 17 year old in the military, shooting gophers on the farm or hunting out in the bush? Does this translate into said 17 year old going on a shooting spree at their high school if they were armed? :huh:

Well just think it through... theres lots of differences. The kid on the farm is in an isolated environment. The kid in the military is in a rigidly controlled environment. Both those things are a far cry from the idea of every child at school having a gun, or whatever this moron said.

All you would see as a result of that is an increase in the number of school shootings, a huge increase in the number of accidents, and most Canadians pulling their kids out of public schools.

I didnt mean to target you personally with that "facepalm" btw. It for the whole thread and the idiot in the OP.

Red meat! Get your red meat here! (Or should I sell instead: Tofu! Get your fresh Tofu here!)

----

Key quote from NP article in OP:

“(Breitkreuz) told a classroom of Ottawa high school students — some as young as 14 — that all Canadians should carry firearms, and girls in particular should be armed to protect themselves from sexual assault,” she said.

Is that what he (Breitkreuz) really said and is that the way he said it? Is that what he meant? We only have an indirect quote from a NP journalist - likely trying to make a name for herself.

----

In the past, Canada was divided by religion. Nowadays, Canada is divided by language. Apparently, Canada in the future will be divided by urban/rural.

Of course, there are good Catholics and good Protestant "sects". There are some good French people and even some good English people. No doubt, there are good urban people and good rural people too. But rural Albertans and urban people in Ontario think differently, and speak differently. It's like two different religions, or languages.

Edited by August1991

Guest Derek L

Well just think it through... theres lots of differences. The kid on the farm is in an isolated environment. The kid in the military is in a rigidly controlled environment. Both those things are a far cry from the idea of every child at school having a gun, or whatever this moron said.

All you would see as a result of that is an increase in the number of school shootings, a huge increase in the number of accidents, and most Canadians pulling their kids out of public schools.

I didnt mean to target you personally with that "facepalm" btw. It for the whole thread and the idiot in the OP.

Obviously maturity level is not a constant amongst teenagers, young adults and “old farts like me”………I can think of many people, of all ages, that shouldn’t own firearms due to a myriad of reasons, namely mental capacity. Just as those that have a mentality of fearing a piece of metal, wood and polymer, would probably be best served by being unarmed and being protected by others, clearly those fearful of a tool that can be used to take another’s life, shouldn’t be put in a situation where their irrational judgement is paramount.

But the above examples I listed of a 17 year old, are clearly instances in which the teenager has demonstrated his or her maturity, hence them being given a firearms by another.

That said, the Tory MP in the OP is being unfairly judged in my view (Granted, I’ve only seen the text quoted in the OP), in that he opined that Canadians (notice not age specific) should be armed…….If a Canadian can obtain a firearm’s licence, with all necessary prerequisites, from the RCMP and be trusted to keep said firearm at home, what is the difference if they have one in the glove box of their car or in their purse?

The police and military are trusted with firearms after taking safety courses by society, why doesn’t society trust itself? Criminals obtain and use guns illegally, why can’t the average Canadian do so, after meeting a set criteria, legally?

If you, and I don’t mean to “pick on you” dre, had a firearm in a safe in the closet at home or in your glove box, do you not trust yourself to do “the right thing”?

Edited by Derek L