Breaking Bad

If you have watched parts of the show and then given up, I get it, believe me; I saw a few episodes, thought, "not bad," and then moved on.

But when, at the insistence of my wife, I gave in and watched the whole series, I was knocked flat on my bum. The show is unbelievably good, unbelievably addictive, with enough "Holy Crap" moments to cripple a lesser show in absurdity (See Dexter, for example).

The fourth season finale is among the best television I've watched in my 45 years.

Apparently, there is to be a fifth season; and I'm ambivalent about it. On the one hand, I'm thrilled to see another season of Walter White behaving like some sort of rational lunatic, while we the audience irrationally cheer on his criminal enterprising. On the other hand, the season finale that I've mentioned is such a pitch-perfect way to end the whole shebang that I worry about overkill, of damaging something almost pristine.

As someone said, "A work of art is never completed; it is abandoned with dignity."

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Derek L

I've only seen the first two seasons and I honestly think the main character Mr. White and his young colleague have one of the most powerful relationships in television. They're phenomenal actors. It's really worth watching.

I agree, AMC nailed it, then throw in Walking Dead and Mad Man, and in my opinion they have the market covered when contrasted with the big networks………

But yeah. Breaking Bad is a super great tv show. I still can't put it up there with The Wire, The Shield or The Sopranos .. it depends how the last 2 seasons are, same with Justified

I love Dexter too but agree it's not as strong as those shows I listed although it it still stronger than most dramas that have been on tv

This summer is also the final season of Damages.. love that show as well, Martin Short, Ted Danson, John Goodman, Dylan Baker played great characters.. Glenn Close, Rose Byrne, Tate Donovan had great chemistry together

Good thing about TV shows though is they live on with DVDs long after they're gone, so it's still going to be hard to say goodbye to these characters but will be able to watch the series again and again

If any of you haven't seen Damages, it's great tv!

But yeah. Breaking Bad is a super great tv show. I still can't put it up there with The Wire, The Shield or The Sopranos

I actually like it better. But it's a matter of taste; The Sopranos and The Wire are so damn good that I won't go so far as to say BB IS better.

Just that I enjoy it more.

I love Dexter too but agree it's not as strong as those shows I listed although it it still stronger than most dramas that have been on tv

I liked the first two seasons a lot, but then it started to lose me. (Though John Lithgow as "Arthur" was amazing, I give him credit.)

I liked the first two seasons a lot, but then it started to lose me. (Though John Lithgow as "Arthur" was amazing, I give him credit.)

Dexter is the only show where I watch it only because of one character.. Dexter Morgan. I really don't care if any of the rest live or die. The trinity killer has been the best baddie for Dexter and I enjoyed the Ice Truck killer too. The plot is really blah sometimes but Michael C Hall keeps me watching..that character alone makes it worth all the hassle.

Michael C Hall is a brilliant actor, he was in Six Feet Under as David Fisher and he is here too.

Michael C Hall, Bryan Cranston, Timothy Olyphant, Walton Goggins, Michael Chiklis are some of the best tv actors in the last 20 years of TV IMO

Edited by stopstaaron

Six feet under was a great series, followed it beginning to end. I never followed Hall in Dexter. Breaking Bad is likely the best series on TV right now in my opinion. Any word yet on when the season 5 starts?

Yeah, I was lucky enough to find the series at Walmart for 15 dollars per season.. then a day after I bought them all it went up to 40 dollars ..I guess it was meant to be, I enjoyed it very much

Breaking Bad season 4 comes out on DVD/Blueray on June 5th and season 5 begins sometime in July (is all Cranston said)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have watched the first two seasons on Netflix. Started watching Season 3 last night. Google told me that Season 4 will be on Netflix by early June and the final season starts on AMC in July.

I guess by the time Walking Dead starts up again I'll be an expert in the world of cooking meth. :unsure:

Excellent show. I love the DEA agent Hank.

I have watched the first two seasons on Netflix. Started watching Season 3 last night. Google told me that Season 4 will be on Netflix by early June and the final season starts on AMC in July.

I guess by the time Walking Dead starts up again I'll be an expert in the world of cooking meth. :unsure:

Excellent show. I love the DEA agent Hank.

Yeah, Hanks' awesome.

• 1 month later...

This thread talks more about other shows than Breaking Bad. :rolleyes:

Just finished Season 4 on the weekend. Thanks AMC for showing all the re-runs overnight leading up to the premiere on July 15th.

Season 4 was the best season by far. Gus was one of the best antagonists I've ever seen on any TV show. Cold and calculated he was always the smartest guy in the room. How brilliant was he in killing the entire cartel and having an mobile ER on standby?

His one weakness, in the killer of his partner, was ultimately his downfall.

I'm looking forward to seeing the return of Mike. It was convenient that he was in Mexico recovering while Walt kills Gus' entire inner circle. Him and Hank are two of the main bright spots of this series

I wonder if the horrible things Walt's done to Jesse will catch up to him in Season 5? (Letting his girlfriend die and poisoning his other girlfriend's son)

Edited by Boges

This is supposed to be the final season, so it should all come crashing down. The creator, whose name escapes me right now and I don't feel like going to IMDB to look it up, said that the story arc is supposed to take Walt from suburban high school teacher to Tony Montana. So I imagine his brother-in-law will eventually catch up to him and there'll be a huge shootout, killing Walt in the end. They'll probably leave it open-ended with Jesse starting up a cook himself to finish the series, suggesting that the war on drugs will never end.

Who knows though. We'll see. To be honest, I would have been happy with the entire series ending after the s4 finale. That was a brilliant piece of work that ending.

This is supposed to be the final season, so it should all come crashing down. The creator, whose name escapes me right now and I don't feel like going to IMDB to look it up, said that the story arc is supposed to take Walt from suburban high school teacher to Tony Montana. So I imagine his brother-in-law will eventually catch up to him and there'll be a huge shootout, killing Walt in the end. They'll probably leave it open-ended with Jesse starting up a cook himself to finish the series, suggesting that the war on drugs will never end.

Who knows though. We'll see. To be honest, I would have been happy with the entire series ending after the s4 finale. That was a brilliant piece of work that ending.

The creator is Vince Gilligan, he did episodes of X-files. I heard the analogy of Mr. Chips to Scarface.

They could have ended the season there if it wasn't for the Lilly in the Valley reveal.

I think we have to find out how the death of Ted affects the family. (Skylar's tax evading former boss) Clearly the fact he pays his taxes then ends up dead, will probably garner some interest.

It'll be curious to see how Walk takes over from Gus. He was doing an alright job heading up a small drug operation with Jessie and his friends until Gus' guys got Combo killed and Jesse's friends bailed. He'll need help. I suspect he'll get that help from people in Mexico that are left after Gus went Gus on them.

Mike coming back will be very interesting.

Here's the trailer proving Mike comes back and Walt's ego is sky-high now.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCCL2QY6M8k

Edited by Boges

Yeah; like I said, I'm slightly torn. I'm more than happy to see another season, but I think last season's finale is pitch-perfect, and the best ending of any series I've ever seen, period.

Yeah; like I said, I'm slightly torn. I'm more than happy to see another season, but I think last season's finale is pitch-perfect, and the best ending of any series I've ever seen, period.

What you don't want to see if Hank finally catches Walt? You gotta know evidence of Jesse and Walt will be available once he investigates Gus' empire.

Will the series end happy for Walt or will he be caught? I'm looking forward to finding out.

What you don't want to see if Hank finally catches Walt?

Sure...I'd only add that if the series had ended wit the last season, your question would have been answered already.

You gotta know evidence of Jesse and Walt will be available once he investigates Gus' empire.

True enough, that seeems unavoidable at this point.

Will the series end happy for Walt or will he be caught? I'm looking forward to finding out.

Vince Gilligan apaprently wanted to see how far he could bend audience sympathy for Walt before it breaks. The answer seems to be: pretty damn far! :)

Edited by bleeding heart

Vince Gilligan apaprently wanted to see how far he could bend audience sympathy for Walt before it breaks. The answer seems to be: pretty damn far! :)

Well the entire narrative of Season 4 was to make Walt seem extraordinarily unsympathetic. Up until Gus takes Walt out into the desert and threatens to kill his family you kind of think of Gus as the good guy (as weird as that seems). And you like the way he's taken Jesse under his wing.

It's not until the final episode of the season where you realize why Walt is the protagonist. He really is the smartest guy in the room and he. . . wins.

• 2 weeks later...

Fun with Magnets?

With a man with half a body walking out of a room and straitening his tie and that whole magnet/evidence room scene, it's clear Breaking Bad isn't exactly concerned with realism.

Episode still freakin' pwned. Having Mike back is great!

It'll be interesting to see what that address behind Gus's photo in the evidence room reveals about him.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife got taken in by the ads for the new season...so finally decided to watch the whole series before looking at the new one.

We're on season 4 right now...and it holds up extremely well under second viewing, I have to say, even without the surprise element. An outstanding series.

Edited by bleeding heart

My wife got taken in by the ads for the new season...so finally decided to watch the whole series before looking at the new one.

We're on season 4 right now...and it holds up extremely well under second viewing, I have to say, even without the surprise element. An outstanding series.

First 3 episodes of Season 5 have been terrific.

It is shaping up to be a Mike vs Walt with Jesse in the middle dynamic. The writers of the show are great, they found a very creative way to get the Group back into the Meth Bidness.

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure who's keeping up with Season 5.

There are two extraordinary, jaw-dropping episodes of Breaking Bad that, I thought, were just awesome. The season 3 episode "One Minute" where the Salamanca cousins and Hank have a shoot out in a parking lot and "Faceoff" where Gus get's his . . . face taken off.

Last night's episode was probably in my top 3 of Breaking Bad episodes. So well written, the train heist was so suspenseful that you totally forget that we still haven't dealt with the kid on the dirt bike yet. Well he was dealt with. :unsure:

This episode opens a pandora's box of deep dark things our anti-heroes can get into.

I've read this, and I agree. Walt and Lydia are more in-tune with each other than he is with Mike. She might be his excuse to get rid of Mike.

Edited by Boges