The Blue Jays

Boges

http://espn.go.com/mlb/spring2012/story/_/id/7641576/toronto-blue-jays-benefit-mlb-new-postseason-format

I can always tell when a Canadian team is legit when American Sports Broadcasters (which are so much better than anything Canada has to offer) take note.

Last week the MLB expanded the playoff format to allow two wildcard teams to play a one-game playoff to decide who gets that berth. It's actually good because Wildcard teams didn't rally face much of a disadvantage in the former system.

Obviously the Jays have been forgotten in the sports world since the great Joe Carter home run. But they haven't been the losers people would like to portray them as and if they were in any other division they'd be in the playoff race each year.

DUNEDIN, Fla. -- Over the last five years, they've won more games than the Giants. Over the last nine years, they've won more games than the Tigers. If you ride the time machine all the way back to 1998, they're one of 16 teams with a winning record.

But what's the difference between the Toronto Blue Jays and the other 15 teams on that list? All those other 15 teams have played at least one postseason game since 1998.

And the Blue Jays? They've played zero.

It's incredible, in fact, how often people around the game begin conversations about the Blue Jays with the words: "If they played in any other division … " And that's more than just talk. That's the truth.

Over the last five seasons, if you wiped all games within the division off their permanent record, the Blue Jays would have a .531 winning percentage (239-211). That would rank seventh among all teams in the sport. And the only teams outside the AL East that would rank ahead of them are the Phillies (.584), Angels (.564) and Cardinals (.532).

But those are the breaks.

Anyway with the expanded playoff format and the great work by the new GM Alex Anthopoulos I'm hopeful that the Blue Jays can play relevant games in September and/or October in 2012.

Meanwhile, behind this group, you'll find a wave of so many big-ceiling prospects barely over the horizon that Keith Law ranked this farm system as the third-best in baseball -- and "the organization most likely to be No. 1 … next winter."

So if you were one of the people who belted out a big "what the HECK" a few weeks ago when this team's president and CEO, Paul Beeston, told a group of season-ticket holders that he expects the Jays to make the playoffs "two to three times" in the next five years, well, guess what? That pronouncement isn't as off the wall as you think.

"It's certainly realistic," says Bautista, a guy who has evolved, in just a couple of years, from baseball nomad to two-time major league home run champ to unquestioned leader of this mega-talented team on the rise. "Now it's on our shoulders to go out there and perform."

Edited by Boges

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Toronto Blue Jays have arguably the biggest vertical business integration in MLB, if not all professional sports. Rogers (RCI) owns the team, stadium, and controls programming revenue not only for lower Ontario, but much of Canada. Has this translated into bigger team payrolls to compete with the Yankees or Red Sox...nope:

Team Salaries
Rank	Team	Salary (US$)
1	New York Yankees	196,854,630
2	Philadelphia Phillies	172,976,381
3	Boston Red Sox	        160,257,476
4	Los Angeles Angels	138,999,024
5	Chicago White Sox	129,285,539
6	Chicago Cubs	        126,380,663
7	New York Mets	        120,147,311
8	San Francisco Giants	117,784,333
9	Minnesota Twins	        112,737,000
10	Detroit Tigers	        105,705,232
11	Los Angeles Dodgers	103,788,991
12	St. Louis Cardinals	 98,746,072
13	Texas Rangers	         91,885,265
14	Colorado Rockies	 87,998,071
15	Atlanta Braves	         87,003,192
16	Milwaukee Brewers	 85,497,333
17	Baltimore Orioles	 85,304,038
18	Seattle Mariners	 84,865,600
19	Cincinnati Reds	         76,181,366
20	Houston Astros	         69,969,000
21	Oakland Athletics	 65,275,500
22	Toronto Blue Jays	 61,617,800
23	Washington Nationals	 57,892,929
24	Miami Marlins	         56,527,000
25	Arizona Diamondbacks	 53,639,833
26	Cleveland Indians	 48,339,167
27	Pittsburgh Pirates	 45,630,000
28	San Diego Padres	 45,455,040
29	Tampa Bay Rays	         41,932,171
30	Kansas City Royals	 35,712,400

The Toronto Blue Jays have arguably the biggest vertical business integration in MLB, if not all professional sports. Rogers (RCI) owns the team, stadium, and controls programming revenue not only for lower Ontario, but much of Canada. Has this translated into bigger team payrolls to compete with the Yankees or Red Sox...nope:

Team Salaries
Rank	Team	Salary (US$)
1	New York Yankees	196,854,630
2	Philadelphia Phillies	172,976,381
3	Boston Red Sox	        160,257,476
4	Los Angeles Angels	138,999,024
5	Chicago White Sox	129,285,539
6	Chicago Cubs	        126,380,663
7	New York Mets	        120,147,311
8	San Francisco Giants	117,784,333
9	Minnesota Twins	        112,737,000
10	Detroit Tigers	        105,705,232
11	Los Angeles Dodgers	103,788,991
12	St. Louis Cardinals	 98,746,072
13	Texas Rangers	         91,885,265
14	Colorado Rockies	 87,998,071
15	Atlanta Braves	         87,003,192
16	Milwaukee Brewers	 85,497,333
17	Baltimore Orioles	 85,304,038
18	Seattle Mariners	 84,865,600
19	Cincinnati Reds	         76,181,366
20	Houston Astros	         69,969,000
21	Oakland Athletics	 65,275,500
22	Toronto Blue Jays	 61,617,800
23	Washington Nationals	 57,892,929
24	Miami Marlins	         56,527,000
25	Arizona Diamondbacks	 53,639,833
26	Cleveland Indians	 48,339,167
27	Pittsburgh Pirates	 45,630,000
28	San Diego Padres	 45,455,040
29	Tampa Bay Rays	         41,932,171
30	Kansas City Royals	 35,712,400

Well Rogers did just partner into buying the Leafs. :rolleyes:

What year are those figures from? The Miami Marlins have just landed a few big-name free agents. I don't believe they are still that low on payroll.

Notice the Tampa Rays are 29th but still remain competitive?

What year are those figures from? The Miami Marlins have just landed a few big-name free agents. I don't believe they are still that low on payroll.

Those are ESPN numbers for 2012 season. The Rays were competitive because of starting pitching, which correlates with post season appearances. Good pitching is getting more and more expensive. I think I can name one BJ pitcher..Romero.

Those are ESPN numbers for 2012 season. The Rays were competitive because of starting pitching, which correlates with post season appearances. Good pitching is getting more and more expensive. I think I can name one BJ pitcher..Romero.

Brett Cecil and Brandon Morrow have proven to be decent.

Dustin McGowan is supposed to be back this year, we'll see if he's as good as he was before massive injuries took him out.

Their problem last year was the Bullpen. The article in the OP discusses improvements made to the Jays Bullpen.

I'm watching the Chicago White Sox open up Spring Training right now on MLB Gameday (totally awesome,by the way) against the Los Angeles Dodgers...

1-1 in the 5th...

I wish you guys would take back that chump,Alex Rios...What an uninspired loser...

I'm watching the Chicago White Sox open up Spring Training right now on MLB Gameday (totally awesome,by the way) against the Los Angeles Dodgers...

1-1 in the 5th...

I wish you guys would take back that chump,Alex Rios...What an uninspired loser...

Albert Pujols= AL MVP/2012. Too bad he won't have the opportunity to celebrate back to backs.

• 1 month later...

4-2 Start to the season. Could easily be undefeated.

Starting pitching has been fantastic!

It has been good, not fantastic.

Their season may depend on their closer, two blown saves/two opportunitiesnot where Santos or the Jays want to be.

Anybody notice how Lawrie often strikes out on three straight pitches. Needs to change his approach at the plate, learn some patiience....

Great to see Kelly Johnson coming on strong.

The team has the faint whiff of potential greatness, still depends m,ostly on pitching. Who will be the fifth starter?

Their season may depend on their closer, two blown saves/two opportunitiesnot where Santos or the Jays want to be.

Anybody notice how Lawrie often strikes out on three straight pitches. Needs to change his approach at the plate, learn some patiience....

The team has the faint whiff of potential greatness, still depends m,ostly on pitching. Who will be the fifth starter?

Hopefully McGowan. . . eventually :unsure:

If not they'll have to hope one of the Noobs can hold down the position. Drabek is the key to success because Romero and Morrow are solid starters.

Santos kind of redeemed himself yesterday. Romero started the 9th and walked two batters then the third batter flied out to the warning track allowing both runners to advace.

Santos came in and quickly struck out, grounded out the next two batters for the save.

The team does need to hit better. They're winning with Batista and Arencibia not hitting well.

I'm a White Sox fan...I know all about Sergio Santos...

You can keep him and could you please take Alex Rios back?

And his steroid use?

Well that part I hated, but the bombs were great when nobody knew!...including myself. I had to tear down my Sosa posters in anger, and I can't wear my Sosa jersey anymore. That guy owes me some money back!

Too bad he did abuse, he could have been an annual 40 HR guy even without the roids.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

Well that part I hated, but the bombs were great when nobody knew!...including myself. I had to tear down my Sosa posters in anger, and I can't wear my Sosa jersey anymore. That guy owes me some money back!

Too bad he did abuse, he could have been an annual 40 HR guy even without the roids.

I have a card of Sammy playing for the White Sox looking like he was about 170 lbs wet!!!

He was traded to The Cubs for George Bell...

I have a card of Sammy playing for the White Sox looking like he was about 170 lbs wet!!!

He was traded to The Cubs for George Bell...

To Sammy's credit, he did start to fill out what looked to be pretty naturally, with the aid of some weight training most likely, around 1993-1994. He hit 36 HR in strike-shortened 1995, and 40 HR in '96, at age 26 & 27 respectively. Those were likely steroid free seasons IMO, as he didn't start to bulk up yet. He was a big guy in 1998. His HR total went from 36 in 1997 to 66 in '98. I got to see one of those 66 HR sitting just behind the home dugout at Wrigley, & another one at the Big O.

George Bell for Sosa is one the Cubs' best all-time trades. Somewhat makes up for us trading away a young Lou Brock for Ernie Broglio.