Toronto has a Saudi funded Wahhabi mosque

Guest Peeves

http://news.nationalpost.com/2012/02/16/aly-hindy-salaheddin-islamic-centre/

I have few objections to more secular or moderates in any religion, but this one bothers me.

This mosque sect connections to undesirables is disconcerting. Wahhabism is disconcerting as it is incompatible with Western way of life, our laws, our customs. I find this sect of Islam counter to Canadian/Western values and I possibly a threat.

Imam Hindy does not preach violence and says he steers youths away from radicalism. But some of the centre’s former worshippers have been linked to terrorism. A former founder, Hassan Farhat, left Canada to join an al-Qaeda-linked group in Iraq, where he allegedly commanded a squad of suicide bombers. Ahmed Khadr, a senior Canadian al-Qaeda figure, visited the mosque when he was in Toronto and his family worshipped there.

The former principal of the mosque school, Mahmoud Jabballah is undergoing deportation proceedings after the government alleged he was a member of the Egyptian terrorist group Al Jihad. The ringleaders of the Toronto 18 terrorist group, which plotted attacks in Southern Ontario, were also worshippers, as was a man arrested last year at the Toronto airport as he was allegedly on his way to join the Somali terrorist group Al Shabab.

http://atheism.about.com/od/islamicsects/a/wahhabi.htm

Obviously, Wahhabi religious leaders reject any reinterpretation of the Qur’an when it comes to issues settled by the earliest Muslims. Wahhabists thus oppose the 19th and 20th century Muslim reform movements which reinterpreted aspects of Islamic law in order to bring it closer to standards set by the West, particularly with regards to topics like gender relations, family law, personal autonomy, and participatory democracy.

This mosque sect connections to undesirables is disconcerting. Wahhabism is disconcerting as it is incompatible with Western way of life, our laws, our customs. I find this sect of Islam counter to Canadian/Western values and I possibly a threat.

Too bad for you.

I find organized religion in general to be a threat. Too bad for me.

Muslims must have the right to have their mosques in the West, Christians must have their right to have their churches in the Middle East. And both Christians and Muslims should stop persecuting atheists!

Atheists must never join with Christians in persecuting Muslims! Atheists should defend Muslims against government repression! Atheists should defend the right of Muslims to have their mosques in the West. Muslims should have the right to their temples of worship just like Christians.

I'm an atheist and I've defended the right of Muslims to pray on a number of occasions when they were being mocked by Christians.

Muslims must have the right to have their mosques in the West, Christians must have their right to have their churches in the Middle East. And both Christians and Muslims should stop persecuting atheists!

Atheists must never join with Christians in persecuting Muslims! Atheists should defend Muslims against government repression! Atheists should defend the right of Muslims to have their mosques in the West. Muslims should have the right to their temples of worship just like Christians.

I'm an atheist and I've defended the right of Muslims to pray on a number of occasions when they were being mocked by Christians.

Your position is very simplistic and I believe disingenuous.

Seldom if ever would a Christian mock another religion or religious order.

I doubt that Muslims were denied a right to pray unless it was breaking the law, and in such case none other could pray either.

No one is denying the rights of any religion to have their religious edifices or buildings or religious houses in the West unless it's contrary to codes and the like for buildings of the sort by designation.

Atheists are as likely as any other group to have closed minds, a bias, and an agenda.

The likely hood of secure and safe NON-Islamic religious orders or buildings, or worship in the Islamic countries is slim to none.

If you can support thos statements please do so.

How do you define secure and safe ? Certainly there are terrorist attacks in those countries - would you blame the state for those ?

I said:

The likely hood of secure and safe NON-Islamic religious orders or buildings, or worship in the Islamic countries is slim to none.

res ipsa loquitur

However, to humor you, Islamic countries attack even each other in sectarian bombings-murder.

Islamic countries that even tolerate or allowother religions to practice frequently experience murders and bombings and attacks on Christian Copts, Jews, aka 'Dhimmis' or 'Infidels'.

Some Islamic state agencies, police or army, turn their backs on the violence from what I have read, so in such cases, yes emphatically, I would blame the state.

http://www.radicalislam.org/content/pact-umar-permits-persecution-copts-egypt

Example:

Images of Coptic Christians being savaged in Egypt’s streets, run over with tanks, shot, killed, and beaten with no way to defend themselves horrify us. The sight of howling Muslim mobs surging out of mosques after Friday prayers, wielding clubs, knives, and sticks and intent on destroying yet another ancient Coptic church seems senseless to those who are unfamiliar with the long history of Islamic violence against non-Muslims. And when the Egyptian security services, instead of defending the Copts, opened fire on unarmed Christian demonstrators who were protesting their mistreatment at the hands of their Muslim neighbors, as it did in early October 2011, killing dozens and injuring hundreds, the natural response is outrage.

What Egypt’s Copts know all too well, but many in the non-Muslim world do not, is that Muslim demands that Christians hide the practice of their faith, allow their churches to fall into ruin, remove the crosses, and silence the bells are all integral to Islamic dogma and stipulated in Islamic law. In fact, ever since the first decades of the Islamic conquest of the Middle East, special rules have been enforced by Muslim conquerors to deal with defeated Christian and Jewish populations and ensure their permanent subjugation.

These non-Muslim peoples are called the Ahl al-Dhimma or “dhimmi people

http://www.compassdirect.org/english/country/nigeria/15693

LAGOS, Nigeria, February 26 (CDN) — The head of the Christian Association of Nigeria (CAN) in Zamfara state told Compass that he was disappointed in the lack of response by state police to recent church burnings by Muslim youths.

“It is unfortunate that there has been no response from the police, and even the state governor has refused to meet with us,” said the acting state chairman of CAN, the Rev. Edwin Okpara.

The Redeemed Christian Church of God building in Tudun Wada was partly burnt on Jan. 25, and Christian Faith Bible church and the Living Faith Foundation Chapel, both in Gusau, were partly burnt in attacks on Jan. 20 and 24 respectively. Zamfara state, one of the predominantly Muslim states in northern Nigeria, was the first in the country to implement Islamic law (sharia).

In the petition dated Jan. 26, CAN stated that the church burnings came in the aftermath of “a grand plot to unleash mayhem on churches and Christians in the state due to the religious clash in Jos, Plateau state.”

The association alleged that those who attacked the Zamfara churches were emboldened because officials made no serious move to arrest those who carried out the Jos attacks. Two pastors and 46 other Christians were killed in the outbreak of violence in Jos on Jan. 17, triggered when Muslim youths attacked a Catholic church; 10 church buildings were burned, and police estimated more than 300 lives were lost in the clash.

Islam drips with the blood of practitioners of other faiths, and as we know also of Muslim on Muslim on Muslim...ad infinitum for centuries. You think it will change? I don't see any signs but that it will get worse.

Too bad for you.

I find organized religion in general to be a threat. Too bad for me.

Organized religion has done much good in the world in the form of charity and good works. Still, I think much of the charitable work is a form of proselytizing?

Mother Teresa said as much if I recall.

Guest American Woman

Organized religion has done much good in the world in the form of charity and good works.

Absolutely. I've seen it first hand and heard the appreciation of those who have benefited by it. It made a lasting impression.

Still, I think much of the charitable work is a form of proselytizing?

I don't think that applies so much in this day and age.