Alberta Election 2012

• Replies 307
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nothing personal, but I have explained the transition in detail earlier in this thread and others. I don't want to do it again.

Suffice it to say that Stelmach managed to purge the Tories of their right wing faction and into Wildrose, get a centrist leader in place, and add a big chunk of former Lib voters to Tory ranks. It was not all his doing of course, but he had to leave for that to happen. Wildrose is isolated on the right fringe and has no constituency left to capture.

Wow...never thought anyone would liken Stelmach to Christ in that in order to save the masses he had to sacrifice himself.

Quite funny.

Too bad the results of the staff statisfaction/engagement survey that is currently underway will never get released to the public. You would then have thousands of validations to Raj Sherman's position.

I don't know what actual conservative party means because the one in Ottawa are not conservatives

fiscally conservative ..and, where are they on social values?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wildrose_Alliance

Danielle Smith identifies herself as a fiscal conservative and while she believes in libertarian principles,[41] the party is home to many social conservatives.[42] Opponents have attempted to paint the party as being extremist; former Liberal leader David Swann, in congratulating Smith on her election as leader, argued that Albertans would be "uneasy" with the "rather extreme, socially conservative, economically irresponsible vision of the party".[43] Smith stated that controversial social issues such as would not play a part in the party's election platform.[44]

Two task forces were created in late 2009 to help build party policy. The energy task force was announced first with the mandate to review the government's controversial changes to the provincial oil royalty scheme and the process for energy transmission, both of which the Wildrose Party argues has damaged Alberta's economy.[29] The second task force was created to scrutinize the pay and benefits of MLAs and government employees.[30] The party plans to launch additional task forces early in 2010, including those focused on agriculture and health care.[45]

Election reform is a focus of the Wildrose Alliance. The party proposes to set fixed election dates rather than the current format which allows the Premier to call an election at any time. It would allow more free votes in the legislature and would seek to elect the province's Senators rather than have them appointed by the Prime Minister.[46] The party also plans to introduce a bill giving voters the right to recall their MLA.[47] The Wildrose Party proposes numerous changes to how the province delivers health care, which it claims will remain compliant with the Canada Health Act, as well as controls on government spending.[44] The party is also critical of international climate change treaties, believing corruption and politicization have surfaced in the scientific peer review process, thus climate change science remains inconclusive.[45] Opposing politicians have criticized the Wildrose Party's policies as vague and undefined (including the topic of gun ownership),[48] while supporters have praised the party under Smith as being "refreshing".[44]

Some of their policies don't seem all that bad to me.. like

Fixed election dates

MLA Recalls

Critical of climate change treaties

but those were only a couple. I still couldn't vote for a party that has a lot of social conservatives.

She should be all for legalizing prostitution if she's a libertarian though

Edited by stopstaaron

Some of their policies don't seem all that bad to me.. like

MLA Recalls

And marijuana, deregulation of alcohol, gambling, etc.

MLA recalls - More democratic power to citizens is a great thing, IMO.

The world's only example of a true libertarian paradise is Somolia.

I do like some of the more extreme ideas from that spectrum. "I didn't like my neighbour cutting over onto my lawn, so I shot him." "I didn't like that teacher saying that my son is beating kids up with sticks, so I shot her." Utopia, indeed.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

I really like Danielle Smith. I'm actually surprised people consider the party to be radical, I consider myself to be socially liberal and haven't see anything that scares me about the party. I find Harper much scarier then Smith. I don't think all of Smith's policies could work in every province but I think she has great policies for Alberta

It seems that Smith is supportive of having red light districts. However her position on many social issues seems to be that the public should have a say, and in this case she knows it's not a popular idea.

As well just because someone believes in libertarian principles doesn't mean they have to have libertarian views on every single issues.

It seems that Smith is supportive of having red light districts. However her position on many social issues seems to be that the public should have a say, and in this case she knows it's not a popular idea.

Are you sure about that?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/28/canadians-coming-around-to-brothels-poll

While a larger percentage approved of the decision to legalize brothels, the numbers show a significant gender discrepancy among the supporters: 56% of respondents who approved were male, compared to 39% who were female.

Western provinces were the most supportive of the law with 58% of respondents in Manitoba and Alberta backing the decision. In British Columbia, 57% of respondents supported the decision.

By comparison, 43% of respondents in Ontario thought favourably of the court’s ruling.

Edited by stopstaaron

Are you sure about that?

http://www.torontosun.com/2012/03/28/canadians-coming-around-to-brothels-poll

While a larger percentage approved of the decision to legalize brothels, the numbers show a significant gender discrepancy among the supporters: 56% of respondents who approved were male, compared to 39% who were female.

Western provinces were the most supportive of the law with 58% of respondents in Manitoba and Alberta backing the decision. In British Columbia, 57% of respondents supported the decision.

By comparison, 43% of respondents in Ontario thought favourably of the court’s ruling.

Just one poll of course. I'm not sure exactly what she has planned but I believe she has talked about free votes on social issues, and she has mentioned referendums but I don't know if it applies to these issues.

Just one poll of course. I'm not sure exactly what she has planned but I believe she has talked about free votes on social issues, and she has mentioned referendums but I don't know if it applies to these issues.

There should be referendums for a lot of things that politicians are usually afraid of

I would be okay for referendums on abortion, gay marriage, prostitution, whether to stay in the monarchy, assisted suicide, legalization of marijuana

That is how a democracy should work.. I know they cost money but its fair

There should be referendums for a lot of things that politicians are usually afraid of

I would be okay for referendums on abortion, gay marriage, prostitution, whether to stay in the monarchy, assisted suicide, legalization of marijuana

That is how a democracy should work.. I know they cost money but its fair

You also vote for people to stand up for you, your MP should reflect their constituents views.

I used the ElectoMatic to project this:

http://i1218.photobucket.com/albums/dd408/TheNewTeddy/albertaregions1.png

Note that in the 2011 federal election, my website and ElectoMatic provided the most accurate riding-by-riding results of anyone in the world (who cared to share their projections online) including in Quebec.

A caution however, these are based on the old ridings. I've yet to find the transposition of votes.

Edited by TheNewTeddy

The PC Party seems to be self destructing, a staffer in the premier's office has now resigned after critisizing one of Danielle Smith's family policies because she didn't have children. Smith has released a statement revealing that her and her husband have been unable to conceive after several years of trying.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/alberta-election/government-staffers-tweet-makes-fertility-an-issue-in-alberta-election-campaign/article2388261/?utm_medium=Feeds%3A%20RSS%2FAtom&utm_source=Politics&utm_content=2388261