Harper spends $337 Million joining the military satellite program

http://www.vancouversun.com/technology/Canada+joins+military+satellite+program+million/6010391/story.html

It looks like our soldiers will be going to war all over the globe for a looong time.

Complete nonsense. It's about the ability to share information to military personnel in a secured fashion. It's also about:

*Canada will no longer lease bandwidth from commercial satellites, which cost taxpayers $25 million annually.

*Boeing will match Canada's investment in the satellite program with a $240-million investment in Canadian industry.

*One-fifth of that will be invested in Canada's space sector, according to the Department of National Defence, and 10 per cent will be invested in small- and medium-sized businesses.

Take your ultra-partisan hat off for a least once in your life. :rolleyes:

Edited by Shady

Exactly. On a related note, if Harper saved 10 puppies from a burning building, but two puppies died, people like cybercoma would write a headline "Harper Kills Two Puppies." :lol:

Reading is not one of your strong points is it Shady?

Canada only saves money when there are Canadian troops in the "field"!

Why is there any freekin troops in the "field" anyways!

Was Canada invaded?And by whom?

Time to pull our troops back home!And keep them here!As a deterent from any country invading us.

WWWTT

Quite frankly, I believe the world needs more Canada and needs Canada to continue to play an active role," MacKay said in his prepared remarks.

Read more: http://www.canada.com/technology/Canada+joins+military+satellite+program+million/6010391/story.html#ixzz1k1eVeD00

What has the world come to when I would agree and support something Peter MacKay said.

Peace-keeping involves troops in the field. Not in a war, but in the field. :rolleyes:

Peace-keeping, eh? Is that what McKay meant when he said, "I believe the world needs more Canada and needs Canada to continue to play an active role"?

The Conservatives are working towards putting our youth behind bars or having them killed around the globe. They're an even bigger threat to Canada's youth than the street gangs they alledge are out of control.

Field is short for battlefield.

No, it isn't. It applies to Canadian soldiers stationed outside of Canada for various reasons. Both in combat or peacekeeping missions. Also to Canadian army engineers working in projects around the world, water restoration, construction, etc.

Oh so Canada is returning to only peace keeping missions,when did McKay make this announcement?

Why do you present a false choice? We don't need to only do combat mission, or peace keeping missions. It's not an either or. But there are various ones going on at the present time. Of both respects. And I imagine that will be the case in the future.

Peace-keeping, eh? Is that what McKay meant when he said, "I believe the world needs more Canada and needs Canada to continue to play an active role"?

Once again, it isn't an either or. It can be combat related, or peace keeping related. It can be in humanitarian circumstances like in Japan, or other areas needing help with natural disasters. Why do you people pretend to be so obtuse? Or do you only think in terms of combat?

Quite frankly, I believe the world needs more Canada and needs Canada to continue to play an active role," MacKay said in his prepared remarks.

Thats a very vague statement!

Much like what you would hear from astrology!

Very open to interpretation.

I would use caution and beware!

WWWTT

Edited by WWWTT

Reading is not one of your strong points is it Shady?

Canada only saves money when there are Canadian troops in the "field"!

Why is there any freekin troops in the "field" anyways!

Was Canada invaded?And by whom?

Time to pull our troops back home!And keep them here!As a deterent from any country invading us.

WWWTT

Was Canada invaded?And by whom

Yes-- by the Quebec NDP, but not to worry, it was only a temporary thing--- Quebec is already awakening to the anomaly.

The Conservatives are working towards putting our youth behind bars or having them killed around the globe. They're an even bigger threat to Canada's youth than the street gangs they alledge are out of control.

Are you saying that more Canadians died on the battlefield than gang members were killed in our cities, because stats would say different...

Why is it always the politicians who push for "active role" when thy themselves would NEVER even think of entering the military to do what they just said? I wonder if any of the front line Tories were even Boy Scouts?

Topaz, could you not ask that question of ALL the MPs, regardless of party?

It might be instructive to know the numbers/percentages in all the parties.

Field is short for battlefield.

Just thought I'd try to clear this up for our poster who doesn't know the application of this word. Field does not always or even very often refer to a battlefield. It means anytime personel are away from barracks/home unit. For instance when I was attached to the recruit training/JLC school in Borden we would have "feild" exercises for the JLC classes. This did not mean we took them out and shot at them. It meant we took them to a wooded area and they would then proceed to undertake various taskings and exercises designed to test their organizational/ problem solving/ leadership skill set. As you can see feild can mean a great deal more than simply battlefeild.

Personally I don't see a problem with improving our comm/tracking abilities. Its not like we're arming ourselves with weapons of mass destruction after all. As was also mentioned earlier its small pottatoes compared to some of our rather questionable expenditures in the public domain.

Complete nonsense. It's about the ability to share information to military personnel in a secured fashion. It's also about:

Take your ultra-partisan hat off for a least once in your life. :rolleyes:

Does this mean US boeing is going to buy out Canadian companies and patents, so Canada is paying for Boeing to take over our space industry?

While the deal sounds relatively good (figuring it works out to around 8 years of leasing) - sadly though Canada isn't buying satalites it is leasing from the US.. are there no Canadian satalite companies

25 million a year works out to 15 years of leasing, with 5 years additional for free from taxes or 20 years of leasing for the cost of this program. Likewise Canada could buy stock in public companies that are satalite tech IP and manufacturing related and do exactly what boeing is going to do.. that is buy out Canadian companies.

I think that this is a conflicted situation. the DnD should concentrate on working with the Canadian Space industry and developing the Canadian space industry DIRECTLY not paying the US to let them take their pick of our patents and industry.

BOO.

This is clear embezzlement of public funds for no bonus.

They are selling out Canadian interests to the US with the deal.

---

If the US ain't willing to send communications to our troops fighting wars over seas for free we shouldn't be fighting their war in the first place.

Edited by William Ashley