NDP member leaves goes to Liberal party

Topaz

One of the newly NDPers has cross the floor to the Liberals, not sure if this is a good thing but she did it. I guess no matter what party the MP's leave and go to another, one gets to think maybe they are going it for themselves rather for their voters. After all, they have to get elected twice to get their pensions and I think there are many who don't agree with the leader of their party, but to get that pension they have to DO what is best for them, FIRST. At lesst, that is what the last few years has been looking like. I guess we'll have to wait until the next election and see if this memeber gets re-elected. http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&gl=ca&tbm=nws&btnmeta_news_search=1&q=Lise+St-Denis&oq=Lise+St-Denis&aq=f&aqi=d1d-o1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1933l4166l0l4630l13l10l0l7l0l1l379l848l2-2.1l3l0

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neither party has a serious leader so this move is perplexing. Should the Liberals elect a serious person leader and the NDP elect some idiot, I can see this happening.

I could also see some of these NDPers going to the Bloc should the separtist winds start blowing in a different direction.

The NDP is going to self-destruct over the next few years when the people in Quebec find out just like the rest of the country how goofy most of their members are. The Liberals are going to come back hard eventually, and all it's going to take for them is a charismatic leader. The NDP, on the other hand, has far deeper problems, mainly being an out-of-touch idealogy and a complete lack of experience and competency.

I think it's an indication of how that member feels about the present state of the NDP and the direction it's going. When you have a member cross the floor from the official opposition a the struggling 3rd place finisher (by a long shot), it raises eyebrows. I could certainly see someone crossing from the official government to official opposition and vice versa, but today's change is VERY strange. It's kind of hard to say that the floor crossing is based on some sort of policy or idealogical reason when neither party, particularly the Liberals, have ANY sort of real policy agenda at the moment other than finding a new leader.

She's looking out for herself and only herself figuring she stands a better chance at moving up in the ranks of a 3rd place party at her advanced age with only a few years left to collect that gold plated government pension.

If she truly believed in democracy, she'd sit as an independent or agree to a bi-election.

She's said no to both...

Oh well, if the voters in her riding don't kick her ass in the next election...cancer probably will.

No great loss for the NDP. Traitors always lose in the end.

Edited by Rick

She's looking out for herself and only herself figuring she stands a better chance at moving up in the ranks of a 3rd place party at her advanced age with only a few years left to collect that gold plated government pension.

If she truly believed in democracy, she'd sit as an independent or agree to a bi-election.

She's said no to both...

Oh well, if the voters in her riding don't kick her ass in the next election...cancer probably will.

What an idiotic comment, your'e disgusting.

Isn't it though...

I have to wonder...would M Dancer would deny it?

I'll be the first to concede the death of a politician only months after he took his party to where no one ever has is indeed tragic.

I was taking issue with the week long grief fest that followed by people who never knew the man. That's not isolated to Jack Layton, we've seen things like this often recently whether it be Michael Jackson, Princess Diana or whether it just be someone at a school that dies and the grief counselor have to be sent in.

One of the newly NDPers has cross the floor to the Liberals, not sure if this is a good thing but she did it. I guess no matter what party the MP's leave and go to another, one gets to think maybe they are going it for themselves rather for their voters. After all, they have to get elected twice to get their pensions and I think there are many who don't agree with the leader of their party, but to get that pension they have to DO what is best for them, FIRST. At lesst, that is what the last few years has been looking like. I guess we'll have to wait until the next election and see if this memeber gets re-elected. http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&gl=ca&tbm=nws&btnmeta_news_search=1&q=Lise+St-Denis&oq=Lise+St-Denis&aq=f&aqi=d1d-o1&aql=&gs_sm=e&gs_upl=1933l4166l0l4630l13l10l0l7l0l1l379l848l2-2.1l3l0

Thosde of her constituents who'd voted for her won't mind. For those who were merely blindly voting for her party, it's a lesson learnt.

She's said no to both...

Evidently she disagrees with abolishing the Senate and Canada's role in Libya. She should have never been in the NDP from the beginning if she didn't believe in their policies. I mean, was she surprised to find out that the NDP's idea of Senate reform is to burn it to the ground? This isn't a new policy. Was she likewise surprised that the NDP only believes in war as a last resort and withdrew their support from Libya once it turned into an active offensive arming "resistance fighters" (they're called terrorists when the west doesn't support them) we knew nothing about? The NDP didn't change. Why did she even bother seeking the nomination of a party that doesn't align with her beliefs?

Evidently she disagrees with abolishing the Senate and Canada's role in Libya. She should have never been in the NDP from the beginning if she didn't believe in their policies. I mean, was she surprised to find out that the NDP's idea of Senate reform is to burn it to the ground? This isn't a new policy. Was she likewise surprised that the NDP only believes in war as a last resort and withdrew their support from Libya once it turned into an active offensive arming "resistance fighters" (they're called terrorists when the west doesn't support them) we knew nothing about? The NDP didn't change. Why did she even bother seeking the nomination of a party that doesn't align with her beliefs?

Because she's out for herself and saw the NDP as a means to her end...

She's a Liberal now but I have to think she's acting more like a Conservative ;)

As I said previously, she won't be missed...

She's quite simply a bright spot in the Liberal camp for a photo op. Nothing more. She's not a politician. She lacks any credibility. She was, like it seems many others, a Layton NDP'er that had ONLY visited her riding ONCE before the election.

Te NDP is following the Liberals down the toilet. This 'turncoat' with no credentials won't help the Liberals nor will her move hurt the NDP.

The temp. leader of the NDP has caused them much grief to date and will more as time goes on.

Anyway,whatever her reasons (she says Jack is dead), it's pretty sad (ha ha!) to see what little it takes to boost Liberal morale ain't it. :P

I find it contradictory that people often criticize our MPs for being trained seals under the control of the leader and party whip. But then, they also criticize MPs when they decide to exercise autonomy and cross the floor.

If it were illegal to cross the floor, or if MPs were forced to face a by-election when they did so, how much more authority would this give the party whip?

----

It is critical to parliamentary democracy that an elected representative have the freedom to leave a party caucus and sit as an independent or join another caucus.

This is one check on the party leader. If Charest is not careful, he may learn about this soon enough. Marois seems to be learning the lesson.