"Why Americans are Fat"

Are you "fat"   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's inaccurate for individual people with body frames or musculature outside the average, but when sampled across a large population these differences all average out. That's the beauty of averages.

But maybe people in Hungary are, on average, more muscular. There's just as much reason to assume that as there is to assume that they are, on average, more obese.

• 2 years later...

taking a status update PrimeTime:

per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control: just released - Americans are fatter than ever! (note to moderators: I couldn't link this graphic directly as it is a part of image loaded scripting within the source article)

aGsE3D4.jpg

Americans are significantly fatter than Canadians - studies typically show a 1/3 versus 1/4 disparity; e.g. study: 34% of Americans are obese as compared to 24% of Canadians. Why are Americans so much fatter than Canadians?

why... within the original status update, one intrepid MLW member stated the disparity was due to "freedom"!

Edited by waldo

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

If only one reason could be given, I would say too much sugar. Excessive intake is apparently more important than output and sugar more significant than fat. I find I can no longer run my weight down, so what goes in has to be reduced. One other thing that helps me along these lines is intermittent fasting. Here are two examples from the UK:

https://thefastdiet.co.uk

http://www.thetwodaydiet.co.uk

• 2 months later...

Slightly off topic but..

Research fraud that hid sugar's role in causing heart disease was alleged decades ago and is now confirmed:

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/13/well/eat/how-the-sugar-industry-shifted-blame-to-fat.html

http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=2548255

Interesting that a British researcher, John Yudkin, already drew the connection between sugar and heart disease in the Fifties. His findings were specifically targeted by the US sugar industry. Science and commerce are often uneasy bedfellows.

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

Since the US has MORE people, of course more Americans are fatter than Canadians but both, countries have this problem. Ever watched "Diners, drive-ins and dives" or in Canada "you gotta eat here" ?? Massive fat, sweet, high calorie foods and the calories on most food have to be over 3000! North Americans don't get enough exercise and the stress level can put weight on people too. 11 million Americans have diabetes and I'm sure its high in Canada.

taking a status update PrimeTime:

per the U.S. Centers for Disease Control: just released - Americans are fatter than ever! (note to moderators: I couldn't link this graphic directly as it is a part of image loaded scripting within the source article)

aGsE3D4.jpg

Americans are significantly fatter than Canadians - studies typically show a 1/3 versus 1/4 disparity; e.g. study: 34% of Americans are obese as compared to 24% of Canadians. Why are Americans so much fatter than Canadians?

why... within the original status update, one intrepid MLW member stated the disparity was due to "freedom"!

It's pretty awful news for us too esp. when you add in overweight Canadians. Over on the right side of the country we have the 'Atlantic Advantage' when it comes to tubsterism. A German student remarked with pleasure after trying some clothes on in our local Walmart that, 'in Paris I am large, at home medium, but here, for the first time, I am small'. Edited by SpankyMcFarland

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...