"Why Americans are Fat"

Are you "fat"   

12 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Hardly, as it has already been firmly established that much gets posted here at MLW specifically depending on American content, without which it would just be...errr...very boring...like Canada! ;)

and yet... here you are - the most prolific MLW poster evah! Reveling in boredom, hey? :lol:

ok, ok... but why? Why are Americans statistically so more obese than other developed countries? Go big... or go home? (and yes, Canada is also on it's way forward, as can be clearly seen in the OECD related comparative graphs I linked to earlier... stats show our rate is now where the U.S. was 20 years ago).

just what separates out obese/overweight Americans from the rest of the developed world... what is unique/different in the U.S. to correlate with its now labelled obesity epidemic? Diet?... social structure?... cultural 'anomalies'?... mass food preparation?... advertising?........ portion size? :lol:

why... just why?

ok, ok... but why? Why are Americans statistically so more obese than other developed countries? Go big... or go home? (and yes, Canada is also on it's way forward, as can be clearly seen in the OECD related comparative graphs I linked to earlier... stats show our rate is now where the U.S. was 20 years ago).

just what separates out obese/overweight Americans from the rest of the developed world... what is unique/different in the U.S. to correlate with its now labelled obesity epidemic? Diet?... social structure?... cultural 'anomalies'?... mass food preparation?... advertising?........ portion size? :lol:

why... just why?

From what I've read, Waldo, I would suggest portion size! It seems to be used as a competitive factor. "Super Size your order for only 25 cents!". It is a method to make the offering look like more "bang for your buck".

The problem is obvious. The larger portions encourage overeating, especially when coupled with generations of mothers training their children to "clean your plate".

I'm freshly separated after about 25 years of marriage to a woman of Italian culture. She was a fabulous cook but I was struck by how she would refuse to use serving bowls, choosing instead to fill everyone's plate herself. She would always give me more than I wanted and take it as an insult if I didn't finish it.

Later she would berate me about my weight!

Now I cook for myself. In the last 6 months I've lost 25 pounds, without any actual trying. I simply cook as much as I actually think I want. Also, I've gained a 3 year old, 90 lb German shepherd named Fred. If I find myself full but thinking I should clean my plate Fred is more than glad to help me out! :P

From what I've read, Waldo, I would suggest portion size! It seems to be used as a competitive factor. "Super Size your order for only 25 cents!". It is a method to make the offering look like more "bang for your buck".

it's definitely a factor/consideration - although a dated movie now, I saw Supersize Me for the first time just last week... perhaps taken to the extreme, but it certainly highlights a problematic issue. I sniggered early about portion size only because it's really one of my pet peeves whenever in the U.S. Some time back now, one of my first ever trips into the U.S. had me staying in Manhattan where a lunch in the financial district's 'deli restaurant' exposed me, for the first time, to the ridiculous U.S. obsession with piling it on. A simple 'corned-beef on rye' was presented as a monument to just how high and wide corned-beef could be stacked! I've run into that same theme over and over again throughout travels in the U.S...

and yet... here you are - the most prolific MLW poster evah! Reveling in boredom, hey? :lol:

Yes...I am here to revel in the constant stream of Americana that keeps it from sinking back into typical Canuckistan boredom. Specifically, I can always count on you to give us a thorough inventory of US government acronyms!

America is Canada's boredom buster, especially during these winter months! ;)

...why... just why?

Why not? As usual, you are overthinking the matter....perhaps Americans just want to live large and consume at a rate that is consistant with patriotic gluttony. It's not like a modest Somali diet is all the rage these days. There is so much food available, we throw away a lot of it before it ever goes into our big fat faces.

Why do I have eleven televisions? Because I can! ;)

Yes...I am here to revel in the constant stream of Americana that keeps it from sinking back into typical Canuckistan boredom.

so... you revel in your expressed Americana coming forward... yet, you have made it your raison d'être to denigrate and call-out... presume to denigrate and call-out, MLW members for bringing forward your perceived examples of "Americana". You revel in it... but you don't???

your chastising many for allowing you to 'revel in expressed Americana' is a reason mentioned by many for placing you on MLW Ignore - it's been one of mine in the past. I thought with the start of a new year I would again open up my ignore list... kinda give ya another look-see. I believe I've read the term 'one trick pony' used in a few posts recently. :lol:

Why not? As usual, you are overthinking the matter....perhaps Americans just want to live large and consume at a rate that is consistant with patriotic gluttony. It's not like a modest Somali diet is all the rage these days. There is so much food available, we throw away a lot of it before it ever goes into our big fat faces.

Why do I have eleven televisions? Because I can! ;)

are your medical organizations & professionals who label it as an epidemic also, as you say, 'over thinking the matter'? Wow! Just how do you actually fit 11 tee-vees into your double-wide? :lol:

are your medical organizations & professionals who label it as an epidemic also, as you say, 'over thinking the matter'? Wow! Just how do you actually fit 11 tee-vees into your double-wide? :lol:

With eleven double wides! Now let's see.....Big Mac or Quarter Pounder w/cheese...so many choices.

Guest American Woman
just what separates out obese/overweight Americans from the rest of the developed world... what is unique/different in the U.S. to correlate with its now labelled obesity epidemic?

Nothing. And that's the bottom line. This isn't an "American problem," it's a "world problem." If you had a clue, you'd realize that.

Just out of curiosity. Since Qatar is the richest, fattest nation, why aren't your questions about Qatar? :huh:

Edited by American Woman

I can't wait for the "Why Muslims are violent" thread. :lol:

There's nothing stopping you from doing just that and some interesting facts may come out of it.

But this thread is about a graphic that was put up in the OP which did have some very good facts even if it was titled somewhat provocatively.

But hey, that's why the quotation marks were used.

Nothing. And that's the bottom line. This isn't an "American problem," it's a "world problem." If you had a clue, you'd realize that.

Just out of curiosity. Since Qatar is the richest, fattest nation, why aren't your questions about Qatar? :huh:

typically, the OECD is a standard representative measuring outlet for both our countries - it's the one I've used previously throughout this thread. I wouldn't think Qatar society/culture/size would provide a redeeming comparison... in any case, you've mentioned Qatar now several times... without qualification. I'd suggest if your sensitivities are so acute you should look to the Pacific Island nations for a better choice. The pertinent 2011 World Health Organization Factsheet most certainly doesn't support your Qatar claim. If it will offer you any solace, I'll pony up the WHO stats for both the U.S. and Canada:

=>2010 Estimated Overweight & Obesity (BMI ≥ 25 kg/m²) Prevalence

- for males: the U.S. ranks 7th out of 192 countries; Canada ranks 25th (by the by, Qatar rings in at #52)

- for females: the U.S. ranks 14th out of 192 countries; Canada ranks 66th (by the by, Qatar sits at #43)

now, there's an opportunity for critical review (for both our countries)... or... you could continue, as you are. There is a growing problem world-wide, but, of course, there are degrees of measured concern. Your countries qualified medical sources are greatly concerned about the impact of obesity on America - epidemic is the common word being used: from your CDC - Centers for Disease Control and Prevention

why... just why?

This is where I was hoping that the discussion would have led to a lot sooner rather than the usual suspects being so bloody defensive for the USA being better than Canada at these statistics. :lol:

Thanks to Wild Bill for providing a very good explanation - portion sizes.

That is another area that I use to ensure that I won't become like the typical American/Canadian.

I still think we all need at least 30 minutes of exercise per day for health reasons, but if one can control their caloric intake then one should be able to maintain a healthy BMI.

Incredibly, this topic is going down the same way as global warming climate change. There is no obesity "epidemic" in the truest sense of the word, as rates remain largely unchanged since 2000 in the US.

To realize the bigger significance of this story, though, we have to piece together the latest NHANES reports. As JFS has posted repeatedly, back in 2004, in the June issue of the Journal of the American Medical Association, the CDC had reported that there had been no significant increases in the numbers of U.S. adults or children considered “overweight” or “obese” from 1999-2000 through 2001-2002.

In other words, today’s report could more accurately been titled: “Obesity Among Adults in the United States — No Change Since 1999-2000.” There has been no statistically significant change in obesity rates for the past 7 years.

http://junkfoodscience.blogspot.com/2007/11/cdc-admits-there-is-no-obesity-epidemic.html

No...you are trying to pull the same flim-flam as you would with with any garden variety climate change thread.....remarkable.

if you'd indulge, there's a chance for real insight and critical understanding of the denier mentality. Do you have concerns over the use of the "epidemic" labeling or are you actually denying the existence of overweight and obese Americans? I've now provided many data sources... from the OECD, the CDC, the WHO... are you saying these data sources are all incorrect? That none of the data sources are to be 'trusted'? That there is no obese/overweight problem in America?

... That none of the data sources are to be 'trusted'? That there is no obese/overweight problem in America?

I have already stated otherwise, but there is no "epidemic" of obesity, as rates are pretty much flat.

ep·i·dem·i·c

1. affecting many persons at the same time, and spreading from person to person in a locality where the disease is not permanently prevalent.

2. extremely prevalent; widespread.

Is there also an "epidemic" of anorexia nervosa?

I have already stated otherwise, but there is no "epidemic" of obesity, as rates are pretty much flat.

ep·i·dem·i·c

1. affecting many persons at the same time, and spreading from person to person in a locality where the disease is not permanently prevalent.

Is there also an "epidemic" of anorexia nervosa?

So you don't think 34.4% of Americans being obese counts as "extremely prevalent; widespread?"

I consider the 24% of obese Canadians an epidemic.

Even if we catch up to you Americans and then flat-line it would still be an epidemic, imho.

So you don't think 34.4% of Americans being obese counts as "extremely prevalent; widespread?"

No, because 1 in 3 Americans are not 'obsese'...I guess that would make me a obesity epidemic denier.

I consider the 24% of obese Canadians an epidemic.

Why? Compared to what? Sumo wrestlers?

Even if we catch up to you Americans and then flat-line it would still be an epidemic, imho.

You will never catch up to the Americans.

if you'd indulge, there's a chance for real insight and critical understanding of the denier mentality. Do you have concerns over the use of the "epidemic" labeling or are you actually denying the existence of overweight and obese Americans? I've now provided many data sources... from the OECD, the CDC, the WHO... are you saying these data sources are all incorrect? That none of the data sources are to be 'trusted'? That there is no obese/overweight problem in America?

ep·i·dem·i·c

I could care less whether you accept the epidemic labeling being used... commonly used... by your most significant/prestigious medical institutes/organizations - a brief lil' spin through googly sees it being applied by your Centers For Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), your National Institutes of Health (NIH) and your Food and Drug Administration (FDA)... I stopped looking after finding just these 3.

in any case, U.S. obesity rates are not flat... if you'd like to support your claim, please provide a longer-term regression trend analysis graphic... there doesn't appear to be any shortage of them out there! :lol: By your own epidemic definition (above), as MLW member msj pointed out, a measure of 34% of Americans as obese should be viewed, at least, as significant. If you don't believe it rises to the level of your supplied definition's, "extremely prevalent; widespread"... to the epidemic labeling level... I would suggest you take that up with your CDC, NIH, FDA, etc., etc., etc.

by the by, just where did msj (and I) get the 34% obese figure from? Well, it is 'everywhere', but you need look no further than the same CDC study that your own linked blog article references... the same study you presumed to leverage, hey? And yet, your latest post has you boldly proclaiming your denial of the same stat your linked-to/referenced study provides. Say what, brother?

No, because 1 in 3 Americans are not 'obese'...I guess that would make me a obesity epidemic denier.

... And yet, your latest post has you boldly proclaiming your denial of the same stat your linked-to/referenced study provides. Say what, brother?

That's right...this is just fun rope-a-dope entertainment...which is the entire thread's purpose. I deny that over 100,000,000 Americans are obese. Sue me...