2012 New Year Predications

Topaz

Art Bell, when he had his show use to have people call in and say what they thought would happen in the New Year and he also would look back on what people had said would be happening in the year passed. So, does anyone want to take a shot at when MAY happen in 2012? I'll start... I think the Middle-East will have war and the West will in the centre of it and Canada will send troops when the US ask for support. Hope I'm wrong. I also think more people are going to be unemployed and there will be greater number of protesters.

Increased violence and civil unrest as the working class starts to fight back and it will grow here in North America too.

Not so sure about this, at least in NA. There would have to be a new spark to set off more protesting, and there doesn't seem to be one coming.

Not so sure about this, at least in NA. There would have to be a new spark to set off more protesting, and there doesn't seem to be one coming.

There will be. Just look at the labour unrest as more companies lock workers out with demands they cut their wages in half...

And the occupy movement's not gone away...

fair enough, that seems to be a story about a single company though. Since you said companies, I thought you were reporting some kind of trend. Although with January coming, can lay offs be far behind?

There's more sharkman, maybe not to the extent where they're demanding 50% plus cuts in wage concessions but all you have to do is look at what's been happening all across the states where the neo-con GOP are enacting anti-union legislation like what happened in Wisconsin...

And more layoffs...well if one looks to what the GOP Governor of Michigan is doing to the unemployed... that's only going to increase the level of dissent and civil unrest.

Posting links to leftwing sites with well known agendas doesn't really prove anything. Your earlier link about the company in Canada was good, though.

Anyway, it's a pretty big leap to suggest that any of this will cause mass protests and riots in the streets.

Edited by sharkman

Again, you started off by suggesting that companies are demanding 50% wage reductions and locking out workers. But you could only show one company which was doing both, which is hardly evidence of anything. So when I call you on it, you switch to the US, and move to what one state government is doing.

You obviously believe that there will be massive protests in the streets, but the evidence doesn't as yet support that. Keep the faith though.

Perhaps we should get back on topic. Any more predictions to make?

Edited by sharkman

sharkman, in my O/P I said it would take place in North America so I can't see how that would classify as 'switching'.

There's unrest on both sides of the border which I've shown conclusively.

Incidentally, 68 more were arrested today for protesting in New York....the occupy movement continues.

No doubt fueled by too much booze, too little common sense and a New Year's party/protest. The Washington Post says this occurred on New Year's Eve, not today.

Here's another copmpany doing it real now along with the one in London On. Don't forget Navistar in Ontario, they wanted the workers to go from 800-1000 workers down to 100. You can't build trucks with 100 workers and they knew that and that's why they did it. It was just a stall tactic for them to decide to keep it open or not. The factory in Mexico took over the production and so they closed the plant. Many people lost on that, many couples and family broke up over the stress, some lost their homes. http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2012/01/01/rio-tinto-alcan-lockout-alma-quebec.html

Increased violence and civil unrest as the working class starts to fight back and it will grow here in North America too.

I doubt this. The worst period for labour in Canada during the twentieth century was the Great Depression, and those ten terrible years were notable for the lack of violence and unrest. The only protest of note was the Regina Riot, and that only got violent because Ottawa thought Regina was a good place to halt the On to Ottawa trek before it got anywhere near Ottawa. Compared to their European counterparts, Canadian workers are a pretty meek bunch and I doubt they are about to rise up over anything.

One of the problems with regards to unions and companies is the combative approach unions take towards companies and the government. Unions seem to take a "us vs. them" approach and it's no wonder they get nowhere with companies or the government. I find unions shoot first and ask questions later.

With the Air Canada dispute, threatening to shut down the airline was a mistake. You have to take into account of what's at stake and make plans that are progressive. Don't just blast away and then act shocked because the government intervenes.

2012 will be much like 2011. That's what I say.

My predictions:

- Fearing defeat in the US election, in order to gain more support from conservative voters Barrack Obama will bleach his skin, and during all stumps will begin performing Christian healing miracles while having an M16 strapped across his back.

- The Dalai Lama will get arrested for beating his wife.

- Bert will die of AIDS, and a heartbroken Ernie will shack up with Snuffy. Oscar will finally get evicted after occupying Sesame Street for 40 years.

- James Carville of CNN will annoy people.