Your opinion

Topaz

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One other quick question:

What would you do if a CEO showed to have very bad tendencies? What's the next step? Does the person get forcibly removed from his office? Is that person discriminated against because of a mental illness? Isn't that against all of your hug-everyone leftist doctrines?

Okay. That was five questions.

Is that person discriminated against because of a mental illness?
Ironically - the lefty creed would not only require that psychopathy be treated as a mental illness - it would then qualify for employement equity treatment! IOW - corporations would be legally required to hire and promote psychopaths based on their representation in the community.

I think the intention is to remove psychopaths from positions where they hold power and influence over others. They often could rise to top positions, because they are ruthless. I have heard of this before, and by the definition, there are many psychopathic types among us. And chances are some of them are in your corporate management.

I think the intention is to remove psychopaths from positions where they hold power and influence over others.
But that would be discrimination against people with a mental illness! Companies need to be forced to hire and promote psychopaths in order to ensure their representation reflects the community!

Ironically - the lefty creed would not only require that psychopathy be treated as a mental illness - it would then qualify for employement equity treatment! IOW - corporations would be legally required to hire and promote psychopaths based on their representation in the community.

what would your "righty creed" require? That the manager be given bonus pay? :lol:

I think the intention is to remove psychopaths from positions where they hold power and influence over others. They often could rise to top positions, because they are ruthless. I have heard of this before, and by the definition, there are many psychopathic types among us. And chances are some of them are in your corporate management.

Or in charge of right wing political parties...

But that would be discrimination against people with a mental illness! Companies need to be forced to hire and promote psychopaths in order to ensure their representation reflects the community!

From a conversation I had with a psychiatrist on another board, he told me that psychopathy is not a mental illness but a social disorder.

Well that would mean quite a reduction in their numbers in top corporate echelons as they are OVER-represented at those levels. :)

From the OP link:

The Occupy Wall Street protesters demanding an end to the reign of the "one per cent" may have unwittingly stumbled on the crux of the issue. Science tells us that 99 per cent of humans have normal emotional function. One per cent are psychopaths. We ignore that truth at our peril.

I think "testing" potential employees for diagnosis of "psychopathy" would be a minefield of lawsuits, but employment assessment based on company values might reveal responses/tendencies that wouldn't be consistent with the company's directions.

I think one problem is that corporations have been hiring executives specifically for their lack of human empathy, do cut and slash employees and contracts, cut wages and benefits, cut corners in safety and materials, etc.

This is a good article and would be a good component of training for corporate Boards and executives and shareholders.

TimG I know you are being somewhat sarcastic in your posts here, but do you REALLY think corporations, banks, governments and the economy should be run by psychopaths?

Edited by jacee

The difference is that you are responsible for your behavior if it isn't caused by mental illness.
You did not answer my question. Why is psychopathy any different than any other 'behavoir disorder' like addiction or fetal alcohol syndrome or being gay? Do you have any evidence that psychopaths are psychopaths by choice?

TimG I know you are being somewhat sarcastic in your posts here, but do you REALLY think corporations, banks, governments and the economy should be run by psychopaths?
I think people should be judged for the actions - not for what some test says they might be. People running corporations should be held accountable if they commit fraud or cause harm via intentional neglect. The biggest problem, unfortunatly, is proving the latter.

The Occupy Wall Street protesters...

Are nutcases.

I think "testing" potential employees for diagnosis of "psychopathy" would be a minefield of lawsuits, but employment assessment based on company values might reveal responses/tendencies that wouldn't be consistent with the company's directions.

Except that in many, many cases the "company values" are written by the executives.

I think one problem is that corporations have been hiring executives specifically for their lack of human empathy, do cut and slash employees and contracts, cut wages and benefits, cut corners in safety and materials, etc.

That is what makes them good executives. Financial management skills. Want empathy? See a counsellor (or your grandma).

This is a good article and would be a good component of training for corporate Boards and executives and shareholders.

It is very accusatory and serves no purpose.

Nothing should be run by psychopaths. Name one thing that should be. I wouldn't want a psycho delivering my mail, so I guess you think we should test them too?

Are nutcases.

That is what makes them good executives. Financial management skills. Want empathy? See a counsellor (or your grandma).

There is a real lack of empathy in your reply. Ergo...

The problem with testing is that many so-called "psychos" are in fact very intelligent, and able to hide their psycho nature from others quite well.

My boss is an excellent example. Many people think he's a really nice, jovial fun guy. But these people only know him superficially. Those who work in his department know it to be just an act that he puts up when meeting people, and in fact he is completely the opposite! Most vindictive, petty SOB I have ever met.

There is a real lack of empathy in your reply. Ergo...

True ... he says they make good executives ... but then he turns around and says nothing should be run by psychopaths, so it's a bit contradictory.

Some researchers are now studying the costs of such behaviour by bosses:

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Workplace_bullying

It affects staff turnover, lawsuits, productivity, etc.

True ... he says they make good executives ...

Indeed, and notice his username, "HydraBoss"...

I have come to believe that there is a certain psychology that seeks to acquire power, "The Boss". Not a leader as such, but one who rules over others for their own personal gain. More like an oppressor. One who has personal issues, self image issues.

True leadership is something completely different.

You did not answer my question. Why is psychopathy any different than any other 'behavoir disorder' like addiction or fetal alcohol syndrome or being gay? Do you have any evidence that psychopaths are psychopaths by choice?

Those examples are all different. Whether psychopaths are the way they are by choice is more of a philosophical question, along the lines of "do we have free will" IMO. They choose their behavior as we all do.

A corporation is by definition, a psychopath.

No empathy or moral compass. A drive only for profit to shareholders.

To lead a corporation, it is likely that you too must also be a psychopath without any empathy for others.

We should abolish corporations. They are a modern frankenstein. You won't see companies purposefully harming people or the environment when their owners aren't protected by limited liability.

Edited by MiddleClassCentrist

Are nutcases.

Except that in many, many cases the "company values" are written by the executives.

It is very accusatory and serves no purpose.

Nothing should be run by psychopaths. Name one thing that should be. I wouldn't want a psycho delivering my mail, so I guess you think we should test them too?

Says the guy with an economic 8.38...

Does'nt that put you in the category of the likes of General Augusto Pinochet???

Not that I advocate for psychopath's running anything...

Edited by Jack Weber

A corporation is by definition, a psychopath.

No empathy or moral compass. A drive only for profit to shareholders.

To lead a corporation, it is likely that you too must also be a psychopath without any empathy for others.

We should abolish corporations. They are a modern frankenstein. You won't see companies purposefully harming people or the environment when their owners aren't protected by limited liability.

Welcome to the "free market" that,at least a few here,advocate for...

Those examples are all different. Whether psychopaths are the way they are by choice is more of a philosophical question, along the lines of "do we have free will" IMO. They choose their behavior as we all do.
Nothing but special pleading on your part to rationalize and irrational position. Psychopathy has genetic links like all of the other disorders I listed. It is not likely a choice - it is simply the way their brains are wired. The question I have is why people on the left are so quick to condemn psychopaths as 'abnormal' when they demand that people and organizations bend over backwards to accomodate people with similar disorders that are just as disruptive. Edited by TimG

Indeed, and notice his username, "HydraBoss"...

I have come to believe that there is a certain psychology that seeks to acquire power, "The Boss". Not a leader as such, but one who rules over others for their own personal gain. More like an oppressor. One who has personal issues, self image issues.

True leadership is something completely different.

Ha! Actually, "Hydraboss" is a line of O&G drill bits I helped design back in the 90's...but nice try Freud.