The TTC thread

Black Dog

What the city needs to do is remove transit planning and development from the political realm entirely. Metrolinx seems like a better agency to achieve this - they are essentially faceless and have ongoing planning as part of their mandate.

We need to move forward now, as the problem with transit will soon become unmanageable.

Metrolinx needs to grow a pair and seize that role. They effed up by striking the MOU with Ford in the first place instead of telling him where to go and how to get there.

• Replies 551
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They need to take the ball back from the City of Toronto, since they've proven that they can't play nice.

Well, this is a good first step.

Absent Council’s endorsement of the MoU, the City is not bound by the plan and it is increasingly difficult for Metrolinx to implement it. We believe that both you and Council must soon confirm the direction the City wishes to take.

Basically, Metrolinx is setting Ford up for a vote he could well lose, especially now that his toadies have started eating their own.

The clown show continues as Ford goes on offensive for his transit plan

One day after Mayor Rob Ford’s allies on the TTC board blocked a report on the potential pitfalls of his plan to tunnel the entire Eglinton LRT, Ford himself went on the offensive to dismiss alternatives to his vision.

“I campaigned on building subways and I stand behind that commitment 100 per cent, because it is the right thing to do,” Ford said at an outdoor rush-hour news conference at Eglinton and Victoria Park Aves. “Putting trains down the middle of congested, jammed-up streets like the one behind us is not the answer. It is wrong.”

I mean, just look at the place.

:lol:

Of course, I see nobody has told Ford that an underground LRT is not the same thing as a subway.

:unsure:

The clown show continues as Ford goes on offensive for his transit plan

I mean, just look at the place.

:lol:

Of course, I see nobody has told Ford that an underground LRT is not the same thing as a subway.

:unsure:

Quite a photo-op, showing the jammed-up congested Eglinton-Victoria intersection at rush hour. Except that it looks busy, but certainly not congested to me.

Interestingly, when looking at Google sattelite images of Eglinton between Leslie and Kennedy, I think that on most of its lenght (except on the viaducts just east of Leslie and around Wynford Drive) one could argue that there is enough space on most of the lenghtto add an LRT AND keep the same number of car lines. And although that may come in a far future, the same could also be said of Eglinton west of Jane.

Edited by CANADIEN

Mississauga mayor says Ford transit plan can’t come at other cities’ expense

“I give (Ford) all kinds of credit if he can implement his promise to build all underground without funding from the province and federal government that would impact other communities —Durham, York, Halton, Peel. If the province has to allocate the money to go underground, it has to impact the projects in the other regions,” McCallion said.

“What Mr. Ford wants to do, contrary to what Metrolinx wants to do, with the limited amount of money available — I don’t want funding to go all the way underground in Toronto to interfere with the other regions.”

Remember how the Sheppard line was going to be built purely through the largesse of the private sector?

HAHAHA!

A long-awaited report on how to finance Mayor Rob Ford’s Sheppard subway plan concludes the line is “feasible” but only with controversial revenue tools including road tolls, a tax on parking spots, building development charges and subway-focused sales tax.

How about a vehicle registration tax?

Edited by Black Dog

I must admit I totally agree with Councillor Berardinetti. Thanks to Mayor Ford, by the time there's rapid transit on Eglinton, the density will indeed be like what the downtown core. Mind you, I'd prefer for it to be built sometime before 2040.

As for Mr. Ainslie's comment... faster, yes, twice the speed, excuse me?

Edited by CANADIEN

Ford facing transit uprising

Mayor Rob Ford’s victory in avoiding a strike by city outside workers could be short-lived as a group of 24 city councillors moves to effectively bury the mayor’s vision of underground transit.

If they are successful, Toronto would return to a 2009 light rail transit plan, and it will be clear that Ford’s unwillingness to compromise is seriously hampering his ability to move his agenda forward.

TTC chair Karen Stintz plans to present a petition to the city clerk on Monday morning asking for a special council meeting on Wednesday. The petition is signed by 24 councillors, which constitutes a majority which in turn requires the clerk to schedule a meeting. Under city bylaws that meeting must be held within 48 hours.