Finance Minister Flaherty announces delay to balance budgets

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems since all these "free" trade agreements have been happenings that the global economies aren't doing so well. I suppose creating war is very costly to most of the countries, something Canada hasn't had to spend a lot of our money on and perhaps that's a good thing as far as being in debt way over our heads like other countries. Still, we have millions of people out of work and they are now on welfare or EI. One reporter said he figured out 7 years of deficit, will take 18 years to pay it off. Harper has been giving all these tax cuts to the businesses, yet business isn't supporting Harper in creating jobs and until the Feds get more money coming in than going out we are in trouble, now will someone tell that to the minister.

Conservative policy is great. Cut social programs and taxes, but spend a crapload more money than those social programs cost on the military and prisons.

It isn't the job of the federal government to be administering social programs in most cases. Most of those are the domain of the provinces. Things like EI and CPP as well as OAS/GIS come as a result of national agreements. The same is true of things like the Canada Health Act, something that is jointly funded.

I think it is pretty safe to say that most of us saw this one coming.

What I do find interesting is how exact the Conservatives are playing this numbers game. Budgets are a tricky beast and we know for a fact that uncertainty through-out markets all over the world have an affect on our economy and the budget. When I hear that the Finance Minister is now able to predict using this new information from Greece and Italy that we need to go back to the original forecast for cutting the deficit I find it interesting that we are talking about a year here.

Pushing the start date for a balanced budget is what Conservatives in Canada have done best for decades. Why change tune now?

First of all, in 2013 (it was 2012 before) the federal debt to GDP ratio will start to decrease. That's the most important measure. Second, these numbers are subject to change with the fluctuating world economy. This isn't at all the fault of anyone in Canada, Conservative or not. These deficits, at current levels, aren't really much to worry about.

Oh, and what exactly is it that people want? The Conservatives are cutting between 5 and 10%, depending on the department, and people complain. Now, they ease off a bit to fight the slowdown (not on the cutting, but on other EI measures), and people complain. Seriously?

Edited by Smallc

Pushing the start date for a balanced budget is what Conservatives in Canada have done best for decades. Why change tune now?

it's sarting tomorrow, and then tomorrow becomes today...tomorrow never comes...

it keeps their crazy military and prison spending game going as long as they can keep putting it off...

Oh, and what exactly is it that people want? The Conservatives are cutting between 5 and 10%, depending on the department, and people complain. Now, they ease off a bit to fight the slowdown (not on the cutting, but on other EI measures), and people complain. Seriously?

People might expect them not to slash important services while spending billions on questionable fighter jets, or their new spying/crime bill... ect...

The Canadian economy has been doing well, best of most countries, so do you really think that we would be completely insulated from world events... are you all so staunchly ideological that you really believe that if someone else where the gov't we wouldn't be affected by world events...

The Canadian economy has been doing well, best of most countries, so do you really think that we would be completely insulated from world events... are you all so staunchly ideological that you really believe that if someone else where the gov't we wouldn't be affected by world events...

are you forgetting flahertys other missed predictions? this guy is a total moron

you can pretty much write off anything he says

are you forgetting flahertys other missed predictions? this guy is a total moron

you can pretty much write off anything he says

Keep things in perspective. That "total moron" is the best finance minister in the world. Things are slightly delayed here, they are falling apart elsewhere.

When I see how bad it is elsewhere, I'm grateful that we do have the financial managers we have here. It really would be a disaster if we had a different result last election.

Keep things in perspective. That "total moron" is the best finance minister in the world. Things are slightly delayed here, they are falling apart elsewhere.

When I see how bad it is elsewhere, I'm grateful that we do have the financial managers we have here. It really would be a disaster if we had a different result last election.

so the "best" finance minister in the world claimed we would not run a defecit nor go in a recession

nor would we require a stimulus package and he also was for deregulating our banks...

take your blinders off

nah you are a con you dont have blinders

Edited by olp1fan

And yet you give no credit to Paul Martin, the reason that we're in the position that we are now.

And yet you give no credit to Paul Martin, the reason that we're in the position that we are now.

Yeah the libs had good credit in the later part of the 90's and could have gotten into all kinds of pet ideological spending with their majority. They could have left harper a gigantic defecit if they had wanted to.

I think had the liberals known that their reign was going to end so soon they WOULD HAVE. But back then the liberals thought they would be in power forever, so It made sense to keep the books in order.

Edited by dre

No I don't, because it's not true.

Our economy right now is significantly better managed than it was under Paul Martin.

That isn't even close to true. This government has essentially continued the Paul Martin policies, except for their stupid affinity for tax credits and the (albeit temporary) loosening of the mortgage market. Flaherty is doing a good job, but to deny that it was Chretien and Martin that brought us to this place is to deny reality.

The Chretien years were the golden age. Our economy, in 20 years, nearly tripled in size.

Edited by Smallc