Hey Quebec

Boges

It is interesting to note those here that resent and oppose even that minimum sop to representation by population.

Especially given the fact that many of those same people support proportional representation. How could you have fair proportional representation without proper representation by population?

Edited by Smallc

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well they get two seats.
Who is the "they"? (You almost re-affirm my decision to vote yes in 1980 and 1995... )

----

IMV, Harper has done two remarkable things here. First, he has made it easier for Quebecers to accept a federal government. Second, he has set a constitutional precedent: Quebec will always have seats in the federal parliament at least as great as its population in Canada.

I suspect that Harper, like Harry Truman or Mackenzie King, had this card in his back pocket the whole time. If he's playing this card now, it's because we are near the end game. It's a done deal.

[H]e has set a constitutional precedent...

Doing something once does not a constitutional convention make.

Besides, if the number of seats in the Commons is increased, the proportionate representation of the provinces has to be maintained: Constitution Act 1867, S.52: "The Number of Members of the House of Commons may be from Time to Time increased by the Parliament of Canada, provided the proportionate Representation of the Provinces prescribed by this Act is not thereby disturbed."

Second, he has set a constitutional precedent: Quebec will always have seats in the federal parliament at least as great as its population in Canada.

as bambino notes, Harper has not set a precedent.

In fact, he has not given Ontario nearly enough seats for it to maintain "the proportionate Representation of the Provinces prescribed by this Act "

Really? I imagined those ON and BC seats would mostly be in urban areas that tend to go NDP or Liberal?

Most of the growth has actually been in suburban areas, outside of the city centres. The 905 and the lower mainland outside of Vancouver city will probably get many of the seats.

Most of the growth has actually been in suburban areas, outside of the city centres. The 905 and the lower mainland outside of Vancouver city will probably get many of the seats.

Ah, I see, fair point. Still, while the Tories did pick up much of the 905 belt in the last election, I hadn't really thought it was a 'heartland' for them? Don't know the Lower Mainland.

Don't worry everyone once Harper passes an elected Senate the East will rule the rest of the country. Sorry Western Provinces you don't matter once that happens. Hope you enjoy your extra seats.

How on earth do you figure that?

This I GOTTA hear! :P

How on earth do you figure that?

This I GOTTA hear! :P

Because the Senate is broken down like this by population.

British Columbia 685,581

Alberta 548,391

Ontario 506,678

Quebec 314,422

Manitoba 191,400

Saskatchewan 161,359

Nova Scotia 91,346

Newfoundland and Labrador 84,244

New Brunswick 72,999

Northwest Territories 41,464

Prince Edward Island 33,962

Yukon 30,372

Nunavut 29,474

Once you make them accountable to the electorate it wont matter what BC wants they are under represented and there is nothing you can do about that. To add Senators you actually have to open the Constitution to change any of that. I hope the west enjoys their one to two years having real equal representation because Harper is hell bent on changing that.

• 2 months later...

What a stupid thread title. Harper is doing no such thing, and even if he was, the fact that you seem happy about it is rather juvenile.

Maybe Quebec could adopt pro-growth policies so they wouldn't be f*****d over.

Because the Senate is broken down like this by population.

British Columbia 685,581

Alberta 548,391

Ontario 506,678

Quebec 314,422

Manitoba 191,400

Saskatchewan 161,359

Nova Scotia 91,346

Newfoundland and Labrador 84,244

New Brunswick 72,999

Northwest Territories 41,464

Prince Edward Island 33,962

Yukon 30,372

Nunavut 29,474

Once you make them accountable to the electorate it wont matter what BC wants they are under represented and there is nothing you can do about that. To add Senators you actually have to open the Constitution to change any of that. I hope the west enjoys their one to two years having real equal representation because Harper is hell bent on changing that.

So the answer is to reduce the senate to an equitable number such as 0

Maybe Quebec could adopt pro-growth policies so they wouldn't be f*****d over.

I may be off base here, but I think Quebec got effed over by the NDP who sold them a bill of goods in the last federal election. Of course, notable mention in the effing department would go to Quebecers themselves for buying it. Or am I blaming the victim? :huh:

I may be off base here, but I think Quebec got effed over by the NDP who sold them a bill of goods in the last federal election. Of course, notable mention in the effing department would go to Quebecers themselves for buying it. Or am I blaming the victim? :huh:

Hm? How has the NDP betrayed Quebec in any way? They're an opposition party in a majority Parliament and never promised to be anything more, as if they even could have. As such, they've done what they can to advocate for Quebec's interests, perhaps more than they even should have. In what way was Quebec better served by the BQ?

Well, saying they were effed over seems to imply that the NDP sold them a bill of goods that they failed to deliver. So I think this stands:

They're an opposition party in a majority Parliament and never promised to be anything more, as if they even could have. As such, they've done what they can to advocate for Quebec's interests, perhaps more than they even should have. In what way was Quebec better served by the BQ?