The nature of our posts

I think that it is interesting to take a look at posts with the most replies and views. It seems as though people are really intrigued by the Conservatives/Harper and by regionalism. Why might this be the case?

Are we sensationalist?

Do we represent other Canadians?

Any other themes from "Big Leaguers"? Are these repeat themes?

:blink:

I'm sorry you were unable to detect the intent of my post. Allow me to laboriously make it clear to you...

You wrote: "What is it with left-wingers and hating who they are"

I wrote: "???"

By which I meant to indicate: 'What the heck does that mean?'

I do hope my meaning is clear enough now?

And BTW, given your post compared to my post, I wonder about your definition of spam.

I asked a question, you failed to answer it and merely posted 3 questions marks. Spam =p

Why do left-wingers hate who they are? Angry White Men, Evil White Men, you may be white but your always putting yourself down and being ashamed and grovelling for minority forgiveness... its pathetic and degrading, you should stop doing it

So far as I can tell you didn't ask a question. You made an incomprehensible rhetorical statement.

Calling my three question marks 'spam' seems to be a purely aesthetic judgement on your part. You're welcome to it.

In my personal judgement, short vacuous incomprehensible rhetorical statements are spam. Perfectly clear brief questions about such rhetorical statements are not spam.

Why do left-wingers hate who they are? Angry White Men, Evil White Men, you may be white but your always putting yourself down and being ashamed and grovelling for minority forgiveness... its pathetic and degrading, you should stop doing it

Point made. I rest my case. :ph34r:

I am not angry :blink: I merely post what I believe, and sometimes it hurts left-wing because hey we all know the truth hurts =p

• Forum Admin

The Terrible Sweal, Hawk, take this ridiculous argument out of these forums. Use the PM feature if you want to discuss the nature and definition of spam.

For the record, ??? is not spam. Spam is unsolicited e-mail/post often of a commercial nature. However, the post, "???", is not the proper way to post.

The forum rules state,

All posts must contain some aspect of an argument or attempt to stimulate discussion.

I think that it is interesting to take a look at posts with the most replies and views. It seems as though people are really intrigued by the Conservatives/Harper and by regionalism. Why might this be the case?

To go back to the theme of this thread (hint, hint) I'd suggest it is a combination of things. Harper and the Conservatives are a new track which shows some sign that it might overthrow the long Liberal monarchy. That makes it both somewhat unknown - how will the Alliance side & the PC side come together, and how will Harper influence the whole thing - and important in that it brings a possibility of significant change.

Regionalism is pushed to the fore by the fact that the Bloc dominates Quebec, the Liberals dominate the Maritimes, the Conservatives dominate the West, and Ontario is sort of up for grabs, though apparently still leaning to the Liberals. When you add to that Harper’s commitment to decentralization, this is also a big issue for our day.

Significant change, eh? You say that like any sort of change would be welcome. I think this last election is proof that the galumphing mass of the electorate don't want 'significant' change, they want change around the margins but a steady course.

Moreover, none of the alternatives offered had any strong appeal. What, honestly, is there to Jack Layton or Stephen Harper that would make them better PMs than PM?

You are getting carried away.

The vast majority of Canadians voted not to have Martin as our prime minister.

Popular Vote Analysis

Canada

Party/2000/2004/Change

Lib: 40.8%, 36.7%, down 4.1%

Con: 37.7%, 29.6%, down 8.1%

New Dem: 8.5%, 15.7%, up 7.2%

Bloc: 10.7%, 12.4%, up 1.7%

In other words, 62.3% of Canadians voted against Martin. ;)

Guest eureka

I would agree that Canadians are/were intrigued by Harper and the Conservatives. It woud appear though, that not too many were intrigued enough to attempt to satisfy their curiosity.

Harper and the Radicals - they bear no resemblance to Conservatives - represented the most dangerous threat to Canada since Confederation but not many seem to know it: not even those who did not vote for them. A leader and a party that would have rendered this country a latter day Hanseatic League; that would have thrown us back to the 19th. century in our social policies: that would have introduced "Means Tests" for Healthcare (read the Caucus Statement of the Reform Party written mostly by Harper.)

A leader and a party that is dissapointed that we did not spill Canadian blood in order to buy favours from America for the business elite. A party dedicated to the "Survival of the Fittest" headed by a leader who had never held a real job.

I don't think many of us were intrigued by Harper; we were angry at the Liberals and their shenanigans. However, the majority did not want to subject ourselves to Harper and some of his radical ideas and his fondness for Bush and his politics. We want a Canada that stands for her ideals not a US copycat.

If the Conservatives had a more moderate platform and leader; they probably would have walked away with the election.

What, honestly, is there to Jack Layton or Stephen Harper that would make them better PMs than PM?

Layton,not much,maybe a bit more integrity than a Liberal.

As for Harper,the truth,common sense,sound ideas,and a wish to do what is best for the majority of Canadians.

He leads a party which is more interested for the safe keeping of Canada,not the vote buying to stay in power

style of liberals.Then again,if you are greedy,and your motto is"Me First",then the liberal party should be your choice.This will someday be returned to you in an unfavourable fashion though.