Is Dick Cheney a sociopath/psychopath?

This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths (also known as 'psychopaths', but medically in the DSM-IV referred to in psychology as "Antisocial Personality Disorder").

Check out the list below and see if & how many describe Cheney. I would argue that Cheney certainly falls under the majority of those categories.

# Glibness and Superficial Charm

# Manipulative and Conning

They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming, yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

# Grandiose Sense of Self

Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

# Pathological Lying

Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

# Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt

A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

# Shallow Emotions

When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

# Incapacity for Love

# Need for Stimulation

Living on the edge. Verbal outbursts and physical punishments are normal. Promiscuity and gambling are common.

# Callousness/Lack of Empathy

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

# Poor Behavioral Controls/Impulsive Nature

Rage and abuse, alternating with small expressions of love and approval produce an addictive cycle for abuser and abused, as well as creating hopelessness in the victim. Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

# Early Behavior Problems/Juvenile Delinquency

Usually has a history of behavioral and academic difficulties, yet "gets by" by conning others. Problems in making and keeping friends; aberrant behaviors such as cruelty to people or animals, stealing, etc.

# Irresponsibility/Unreliability

Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

# Promiscuous Sexual Behavior/Infidelity

Promiscuity, child sexual abuse, rape and sexual acting out of all sorts.

# Lack of Realistic Life Plan/Parasitic Lifestyle

Tends to move around a lot or makes all encompassing promises for the future, poor work ethic but exploits others effectively.

# Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility

Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

Edited by Moonlight Graham

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Web site disclaimer:

I, the creator of this site, am not a psychologist and no special expertise in the subject. I created the site as a public service, because no similar site existed in 2003. I occasionally get sad calls and emails. I urge you to consult either a clinical psychologist or the police depending on the problem you face, and wish you good luck.

So the web site author is not qualified to make such determinations, and neither are you.

This website summarizes some of the common features of descriptions of the behavior of sociopaths (also known as 'psychopaths', but medically in the DSM-IV referred to in psychology as "Antisocial Personality Disorder").

Check out the list below and see if & how many describe Cheney. I would argue that Cheney certainly falls under the majority of those categories.

Let me guess....you, like so many others, are enamored with his glibness and superficial charm?

Sounds more like Obama!!

Not in the mind of Cheney. For him and his perception of reality he is right on the money. A long time ago I was in the office of the comedian - he was also a lawyer - I don't know if you remember him - his name was Hart Pomerantz...kind of strange fellow with allergies to everything ...at that time I was have a problem with someone of Chaney's class and stature - a very privledged bunch of characters - Hart said to me....."Alec, they are not like us..they do not even breath the same air" I suppose what he meant was that they are so high up there finacally - socially - and have great hidden and obvious influence....so years later - I mean about 32 years later - I spoke to the one of the representatives of this high and mighty bunch - he said something in all seriousness...."Hello Alec, what do you think of the weather I sent you?" - I will leave this your own judgement - are these types of people powerful or are they crazy - or both?

Most assume that mental illness is reserved for the members of the great unwashed - Just because someone is way up there on the food chain does not mean they can NOT be a lugan. Firstly - Dear Dick is a high end office worker - for him to have fumbled about pretending to be a military man was an error - but of course the military spawns from the blue collar set - and as Cheney knows they must be real dumb..and not as smart as upper and senior management... What the hell was an oil executive doing conducting a war anyway? You would have to be crazy--- it would be like a carpenter doing brain surgery.

Let me guess....you, like so many others, are enamored with his glibness and superficial charm?

Sounds more like Obama!!

I would say these ones describe Cheney fairly well, with minor variation on some:

# Manipulative and Conning

They never recognize the rights of others and see their self-serving behaviors as permissible. They appear to be charming (well not for Cheney :lol: , but he's still manipulative & a conner), yet are covertly hostile and domineering, seeing their victim as merely an instrument to be used. They may dominate and humiliate their victims.

# Grandiose Sense of Self

Feels entitled to certain things as "their right."

# Pathological Lying

Has no problem lying coolly and easily and it is almost impossible for them to be truthful on a consistent basis. Can create, and get caught up in, a complex belief about their own powers and abilities. Extremely convincing and even able to pass lie detector tests.

# Lack of Remorse, Shame or Guilt

A deep seated rage, which is split off and repressed, is at their core. Does not see others around them as people, but only as targets and opportunities. Instead of friends, they have victims and accomplices who end up as victims. The end always justifies the means and they let nothing stand in their way.

# Shallow Emotions

When they show what seems to be warmth, joy, love and compassion it is more feigned than experienced and serves an ulterior motive. Outraged by insignificant matters, yet remaining unmoved and cold by what would upset a normal person. Since they are not genuine, neither are their promises.

# Callousness/Lack of Empathy

Unable to empathize with the pain of their victims, having only contempt for others' feelings of distress and readily taking advantage of them.

Believe they are all-powerful, all-knowing, entitled to every wish, no sense of personal boundaries, no concern for their impact on others.

# Irresponsibility/Unreliability

Not concerned about wrecking others' lives and dreams. Oblivious or indifferent to the devastation they cause. Does not accept blame themselves, but blames others, even for acts they obviously committed.

# Criminal or Entrepreneurial Versatility

Changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution. Changes life story readily.

Obama's eyes look strained as if he has run intellectually at full capacity and is out of gas. So much for the wonder boy - should have elected a guy with a bigger more high performance brain...Now Dick Cheney - if he gets strained - he just goes into the shop and has the mechanics work on him and tune up that artifical soul and heart - really quite bizarre..that Cheney is bionic - a rich guy that bought more time by letting the experts turn him into a robot.....truth is stranger than fiction -------I wonder what drugs they a have him on to keep that conscience from acting up.....

Study of Bush's psyche touches a nerve

A study funded by the US government has concluded that conservatism can be explained psychologically as a set of neuroses rooted in "fear and aggression, dogmatism and the intolerance of ambiguity".
"This intolerance of ambiguity can lead people to cling to the familiar, to arrive at premature conclusions, and to impose simplistic cliches and stereotypes," the authors argue in the Psychological Bulletin.

Refute what? Somebody's non-professional opinion based on generic, subjective, fortune cookie type categories. :rolleyes:

Yes. The majority of professional psychological diagnoses are subjective, and based on generic, subjective, fortune cookie type categories (in the DSM-IV manual). I'm not claiming I'm a professional by any means, but I am saying that Cheney fits most of the categories of what one would label a "sociopath" and typical antisocial behaviour.

It would be interesting to a pro's opinion on the matter.

Some of these characteristics apply to most people.

I just want to mention that psychopaths are likely sociopaths, but not all sociopaths are psychopaths. A sociopath is someone that consistently breaks the rules and norms of society, usually typified by extensive recidivism as an adult and constantly being in trouble in school as a child. Psychopaths can and usually do avoid legal trouble due to their personality traits, namely their manipulative nature coupled with their often charismatic personalities.

Also, I'm curious if you have read the book Snakes in Suits: When Psychopaths Go to Work by Paul Babiak and Robert Hare? In it they contest that there is a disproportionate number of psychopaths among corporate executives as compared to the general population. The traits that makes a person a psychopath seem to also match the qualities that makes a person an excellent CEO. When every decision you make could mean destroying many people's lives, you need to be able to make those decisions swiftly and without remorse. This doesn't explicitly speak to whether or not Cheney is a psychopath and I don't suppose he is. You can often tell because they don't seem to respond emotionally in conversations the way normal people would. They don't get the subtle emotional nuance. Sometimes they mimic laughing at jokes and their timing is off or whatever. Anyway, I don't think Cheney is a psychopath, but it would not be the least bit surprising if he was, given his CV.

Some of these characteristics apply to most people.

All of the characteristics apply to all people to some varying degree or another. That's why there's a standardized test for psychopathy (PCL-R) that puts people on a scale. In other words, it tells you whether youre more or less psychopathic than others. Above a certain rating you would be clinically considered a psychopath, but that doesn't mean that there isn't varying degrees of psychopathy.