Cross Border Policing (Urgent topic)

This worries me a lot, I do not want Americans coming onto Canadian soil to arrest anybody...this is Canada, are Canadians just going to accept this? Yeah, they say they are going after "terrorists" but what else will they do? Will we see the DEA up here? The FBI raiding mom and pop type marihuana grow ops? This is an attack on our sovereignty. It's bottom line treason don't you think?

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Canada+cross+border+policing+tested/5410532/story.html

WASHINGTON — The U.S. and Canada are preparing to launch a pilot project that would authorize American and Canadian law enforcement officers to cross the international land border in pursuit of suspected criminals or terrorists.

The plan to create teams of “cross-designated officers” comes ahead of a broader Canada-U.S. border security and trade strategy expected to be unveiled in the coming weeks by Prime Minister Stephen Harper and President Barack Obama.

“The creation of ‘NextGen’ teams of cross-designated officers would allow us to more effectively identify, assess, and interdict persons and organizations involved in transnational crime,” U.S. Attorney General Eric Holder said in a speech to a border conference earlier this week in Lake Placid, N.Y.

“They would also allow us to conserve precious resources, to avoid duplicative efforts, and to leverage tools and expertise.”

Holder described the threats at the Canada-U.S. border as “unprecedented,” ranging from terrorism to human smuggling, drug trafficking and the illegal trade in firearms.

Officials from the U.S. Department of Justice, the Department of Homeland Security, Public Safety Canada and the Canadian Justice Department have been in talks on cross-designating law enforcement officers at the border since last December, Holder said.

Read more

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They look at Canada as some sort of non-country...a back water - kind of like letting the cops cross into a private dwelling owned by the underprivledged poor --------Some Americans percieve us as just another Iraq...but of course with more cultural similarities - and not as prone to being de-humanized and plundered as they might wish - seeing we look like them - If we looked like Afghani tribesmen - they would have the mayor of New York use Toronto's city hall as a convention center.

I wonder when people will realize that Harper doesn't give a crap about Canada, or Canadian sovereignty.

Osgoode Hall - Bay Street - The bankers in general who are the sponsors of Harper - do not give a shit about Canada - so why would Harper - it's all about USING Canada to generate power for a few - then dumping us like the worn out whores they percieve us to be. Harpers real handlers - cross over to New York like they were crossing the office hall..They fly to London as if they were taking a short trip to head office up the street - They are not like us - loyality to nation and countrymen is below them - The group that spawned Harper and all the others are the same ones that gave birth to Conrad Black -----------go figure....we just have to live with the truth - that we must take care of ourselves and not depend on those that don't give a damn if we are alive or dead...it's a hard core game out there.

Osgoode Hall - Bay Street - The bankers in general who are the sponsors of Harper - do not give a shit about Canada - so why would Harper - it's all about USING Canada to generate power for a few - then dumping us like the worn out whores they percieve us to be. Harpers real handlers - cross over to New York like they were crossing the office hall..They fly to London as if they were taking a short trip to head office up the street - They are not like us - loyality to nation and countrymen is below them - The group that spawned Harper and all the others are the same ones that gave birth to Conrad Black -----------go figure....we just have to live with the truth - that we must take care of ourselves and not depend on those that don't give a damn if we are alive or dead...it's a hard core game out there.

Also - walk into your local TD bank and you will see posters of rich gay guys sitting on the dock of their two million dollar cottage...If Harper cared - or his bossed cared - YOU would see a picture of a tradtional family - instead of panderment to the minority mutants.

If you go read the original NAU agreement, it has that in there but both government will deny anything to do with the NAU, so now they are using the security perimeter as a means to bring the two nations into one. The Tories are already harmonizing our military with theirs, change the wheat board because the US doesn have one and there are a number of things the Tories are doing and if Canadians don't watch this government, one day they will wake up and have a flag that is part red maple leaf and red, white and blue stripes. The voters that gave them this power is going to have to live with what this Tory government will do to this country.

If you go read the original NAU agreement, it has that in there but both government will deny anything to do with the NAU, so now they are using the security perimeter as a means to bring the two nations into one. The Tories are already harmonizing our military with theirs, change the wheat board because the US doesn have one and there are a number of things the Tories are doing and if Canadians don't watch this government, one day they will wake up and have a flag that is part red maple leaf and red, white and blue stripes. The voters that gave them this power is going to have to live with what this Tory government will do to this country.

This is old ALex Jones stuff - true but no one is interested.

Unfortunately, it did not start with Haper.

Yes I realize this, Mulroney was the start with Free Trade. But Harper has shown a disdain for Canada, and I really don't think it would matter in the least to him if Canada merged with Amaerica. Traitor is a strong description, but one in which might be valid.

Maybe it was Marco Polo who started it, when he reached out from the EU to China.

In any case, there's no turning back the clock and we should try to get ahead of the trend instead of pulling it backwards which will not work.

There have been potential upsides to this, and perhaps more await us - especially B_C's hopeful wish for a great Canadian cable channel... which I share.

Maybe some Canadians don't care but they will after the laws come into effect and wonder when did this happen. The important thing to Candians should be is how far is Harper willing to go?

At least as far as previous prime ministers (NATO, NORAD, FTA, NAFTA, etc.). Ask how many Canadians want to close the border with the United States just to prove a point....and starve.

I find it interesting that everyone in this thread so far has only thought about american cops crossing the border into Canada. Has no one considered that there are American crooks who come up here smuggling coke and guns, dakking back south of the border before our cops can nab them? That there is human smuggling going on from Canada into the US? That children are kidnapped and taken across the Peace Bridge from time to time, even if usually by a mother or father wanting to ignore a court custody order?

If this is a 2-way agreement then a cop or a Mountie could just as easily cross south into the USA, especially if he was in pursuit of some felon or suspected felon. There are many border towns where right now a Canadian cop must stop on his side of the border and radio the Americans to take up the chase, losing valuable time.

Surely this agreement would be a good thing?

Edited by Wild Bill

I find it interesting that everyone in this thread so far has only thought about american cops crossing the border into Canada. Has no one considered that there are American crooks who come up here smuggling coke and guns, dakking back south of the border before our cops can nab them? That there is human smuggling going on from Canada into the US? That children are kidnapped and taken across the Peace Bridge from time to time, even if usually by a mother or father wanting to ignore a court custody order?

If this is a 2-way agreement then a cop or a Mountie could just as easily cross south into the USA, especially if he was in pursuit of some felon or suspected felon. There are many border towns where right now a Canadian cop must stop on his side of the border and radio the Americans to take up the chase, losing valuable time.

Surely this agreement would be a good thing?

not likely, canada always gets stiffed when it comes to the americans

we'll let them without asking but if our cops want to cross the border i bet theyll have to

beg

not likely, canada always gets stiffed when it comes to the americans

we'll let them without asking but if our cops want to cross the border i bet theyll have to

beg

I agree with the original poster. This stuff scares me.

The USA already has enough insidious, unwanted and unsolicited influence over this country and our sovereignty.

The Americans have a history of subversive activity in dozens of countries worldwide and in my opinion it's the cause of the majority of their foreign policy problems and their international reputation at the moment ....... their 'chickens have come home to roost'. You can't go screwin around in the domestic policies of dozens of nations over the last 50 years or so and not, eventually, get one or several of those nations pissed off enough to finally look for retribution in some form.

Henry Kissinger was right when he said ...... 'America has no friends, we only have interests'.

Canada needs to learn from that comment and understand what it REALLY means.

Unfortunately, because of our close proximity on the north american continent, we've ended up inheriting some of their problems.

This suggestion of shared policing activities 'in any form', is a threat to our sovereignty ... make no mistake.

We don't need to open the doors for any foreign nation to have any legal powers that can be taken care of domestically.

Dann

During the G 20 deal - I spoke to a "security" guy that was guarding a City TV mobile unit - we spoke and he said he was a former Black Water employee...so the cross boarder use of mercenaries probabley has been going on for a while - not to worry though...just be nice to them...after all - they are our friends an are not likely to turn on us ----------I HOPE.

... You can't go screwin around in the domestic policies of dozens of nations over the last 50 years or so and not, eventually, get one or several of those nations pissed off enough to finally look for retribution in some form....

Sure you can...Canada has done it several times. Just ask Haiti, Iraq, Serbia, East Timor, Libya, etc. Where do you draw the line?

... You can't go screwin around in the domestic policies of dozens of nations over the last 50 years or so and not, eventually, get one or several of those nations pissed off enough to finally look for retribution in some form....

Sure you can...Canada has done it several times. Just ask Haiti, Iraq, Serbia, East Timor, Libya, etc. Where do you draw the line?

I wonder when people will realize that Harper doesn't give a crap about Canada, or Canadian sovereignty.

I wonder when people realize that people like you don't give a crap about terrorism. Why should a line on a map give any terrorist succor?

The sheep never wake up until it's too late. History has shown this time and time again.

Hitler and Nazi Germany for example.

It's no wonder the world hates the Americans... they bring it upon themselves.

Edited by Rick

The world does not hate Americans...more choose to emigrate to America than to Canada...always have.

oh the world hates americans, you get what mexixans immigrating? canada gets intelligent asians while you get central americans / mexicans

Edited by olp1fan

And how do we know what they're really doing here.

:huh:

It's scary of course.

Now that's funny ... I just wrote

"Our cops don't bully us.

Not so sure about theirs."

But of course ours did at the G20.

And now this ...

I want them in uniform so we know who they are all the time.