Baird then ordered the word "Canada" dropped from business car

CitizenX

John Baird Demands Gold On New Business Cards

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/30/foreign-affairs-minister-_n_988360.html#s381624&title=Althia_Raj

Baird then ordered the word "Canada" dropped from the standard design, also against federal policy.

Ohhh the arrogance, what is the point of this?

Edited by CitizenX

http://www.huffingtonpost.ca/2011/09/30/foreign-affairs-minister-_n_988360.html#s381624&title=Althia_Raj

His behavior has been a little bizarre. Some of it I get, but the business card bit just seems weird to me. I'd love to see a sensible explanation of where Baird's coming from here.

His behavior has been a little bizarre. Some of it I get, but the business card bit just seems weird to me. I'd love to see a sensible explanation of where Baird's coming from here.

Honestly between his actions and Harper dropping the Name Canada, I'm really confused as to the motives. Someone help me on this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UXywZ7ycXTI

Edited by CitizenX

well clearly, Treasury Board rules be damned... Baird's request has a foundation... certainly, the word Canada has no place and bearing on Canada's esteemed Minister of Foreign Affairs business card! :lol: and the gold embossing, nothing says it clearer than the linked article's video reference:

The other changes don't concern me in the least, but I sure as heck would like to know why he wanted the Canada wordmark removed.

I've never much liked that wordmark logo; it doesn't say "government" to me, and seems to express that Canada is a corporation, like McDonald's or Rogers. I'd also say that, for a minister of the Crown, the royal arms should suffice for communicating that the person to whom the card belongs is a member of government.

However, so long as the standard is to have it on government related stationary, then it should be there. If Baird doesn't want it on his cards, then he should go to the effort of creating and implementing a new standard applicable to everyone. Inconsistency is just confusing.

“I remember a time when the Liberal Party of Canada used to think big on foreign affairs, they would think about big issues around the world when it came to Canada and domestic issues,” he continued. “And now they been returned to the time when they are dealing with $400 worth of business cards.” - John Baird

It's the symbolism that disturbs me about this issue. Who does he work for Canada, or Harper?

The Tories are just getting started of making BIG changes and perhaps the crimes bills being passed so quickly is to put more people in jail once the truth of what they have on their minds comes out and people start to protest even more as time goes on. Just keep an open mind as the Canada/US perimeter talks come forward and announcements made. I find Baird acts very arrogant, big mouth person and he too, will meet his waterloo down the road.

The other changes don't concern me in the least, but I sure as heck would like to know why he wanted the Canada wordmark removed.

I think it's an issue of aesthetics. Part of me thinks the business card looks better without the Canadian logo on the bottom.

I'd like to add, however, that I think this is quite deliciously ironic, however, as it is the "conservatives" who pretend to be more patriotic than the rats on the left. Consider the nonsense "flag freedom" bill that was recently introduced. Can you think of anything more useless for the Federal government to be involved with than trying to protect the "rights" of some alleged patriot who can't fly a flag because of moronic condo-community rules? I mean really... who gives a damn[i/]?! Talk about a non-priority masquerading as some patriot-pump-fest.

Edited by Bob

Well, to begin with, the word Canada is on the business cards, along with the coat of arms. It's the 'wordmark logo" which is not on them.

I'd have to speculate as to why he wanted nicer business cards, but I think it's fair to say that the people he gives his cards to are probably foreign dignitaries: ambassadors, foreign ministers and even prime ministers and the like. I'd say it's also not much of a stretch to suggest he himself has been given business cards from his contemporaries, ie, ambassadors, foreign ministers, etc., and that he's found many of those cards are quite a big more impressive than the uninspired ones every low level bureaucrat in the public service has. So he wanted a card which was impressive looking, rather than some cheap knock-off like all the public servants.

I can't say I find that worth making a big deal about.

This is what happens to our high buisness elite - to our high courts - they have this idea that being an internationalist and a man or woman of the world is much more sophisiticated than being a common rube Canadian - They like to take the power that their native land doles out..but they are thankless to the nation that grants them power - arrogance? No worse than that - It's meglamania of the highest order - Conrad Black made the same mistake when he was disloyal to the common Canadian family - and in the end he needed us as will Baird - but in the meantime - let the jerks fly like gods and crash when they find themselves to be but frail human beings who need the support of family - of nation.

Well, to begin with, the word Canada is on the business cards, along with the coat of arms. It's the 'wordmark logo" which is not on them.

I'd have to speculate as to why he wanted nicer business cards, but I think it's fair to say that the people he gives his cards to are probably foreign dignitaries: ambassadors, foreign ministers and even prime ministers and the like. I'd say it's also not much of a stretch to suggest he himself has been given business cards from his contemporaries, ie, ambassadors, foreign ministers, etc., and that he's found many of those cards are quite a big more impressive than the uninspired ones every low level bureaucrat in the public service has. So he wanted a card which was impressive looking, rather than some cheap knock-off like all the public servants.

I can't say I find that worth making a big deal about.

So your defense is that he's jealous of other peoples' business cards.

The Tories are awfully big on folks following the rules. How sad they seem content to use their clout to evade even the most mundane ones.

There's nothing about this that makes Baird look good. Frankly I'm beginning to think he's a bit of a primadona.

In the HOC he said he had "Canada" on then and they were in both official languages.

He told NDP MP Paul Dewar that his cards do indeed have the word “Canada” on them and that his contact information is available in both official languages

What I can't figure out is why even bother. You expend so much political capital on trivial things, it's not even worth it to do them in the first place.

What some of our cabinet ministers fail to understand is that they are not just some random MP, representing their constituency when they get appointed to cabinet. You are a Minister in the Government of Canada. They are required to represent the entire country and the official position of the Government of Canada in every public thing that they do. Removing French from the cards is completely unacceptable, as our federal government is required to offer bilingual services. Also, removing Canada from his business cards is complete nonsense. He's not representing simply his constituency, but all of Canada. Finally, dropping Pearson's name off the building... how partisan can you get? Maybe Baird can push for the Pearson Airport in Toronto to be renamed Diefenbaker Airport. It can go from being named after the greatest Prime Minister we have ever had to the worst, following Harper.

This is part of a troubling trend by Stephen Harper's Conservatives: first they remove Canada from the letterhead of official government correspondance, then Baird drops the Canada logo from his business cards as Foreign Affairs Minister. It seems that they have no respect for Canada as a nation and I wouldn't be surprised if they move towards policies that undermine our sovereignty in the future.

Guest American Woman

There's nothing about this that makes Baird look good. Frankly I'm beginning to think he's a bit of a primadona.

With the disappearance of the large “Canada,” the biggest type on the card now is “The Honourable John Baird, P.C., M.P.”

Perhaps a bit .....

With the disappearance of the large “Canada,” the biggest type on the card now is “The Honourable John Baird, P.C., M.P.”

Perhaps a bit .....

Rediculous? Absolutely, they are anything but honourable.

CitizenX, that was a good video you posted. The Harper Government? Yeesh.

Perhaps a bit .....

Canada is famous for endowing successful predators with the title of "honourable" - Any time you see that title preceding a name - you know that the person had to commit a series of dis-honourable acts to be granted the title of honourable - I have never seen a political person or a judge act in a truly honourable fashion - I suggest they drop this title - it's dishonourable to use it.