Saudi's Making Progress on Women's Rights

jbg

Fortunately, progress continues apace for women in the Arab world. According to a news article (link) the Saudi King has cancelled a ten-lash sentence for a woman convicted of driving.

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah on Wednesday overturned a court's sentence of 10 lashes for a woman arrested for driving in the kingdom.

The monarch's decision overturns a court ruling Tuesday against Shaima Jastaina, who was arrested for driving a relative to the hospital, the Associated Press reported.

"Thank God, the lashing of Shaima is cancelled," Princess Ameera Al-Taweel, wife of King Abdullah's nephew Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal, posted to Twitter Wednesday. "Thanks to our beloved King. I'm sure all Saudi women will be so happy, I know I am."

Saudi Arabia and that part of the world is becoming a true force for progress.

Saw this story. Good stuff. Damn lefties and their progressive agendas! :D Saudi social conservatives are now yelling "Nooo!! A woman driving??? And without her husband?? What about traditional family values?"

I'm pointing out that my admiration for Islam is being justified.

Fortunately, progress continues apace for women in the Arab world. According to a news article (link) the Saudi King has cancelled a ten-lash sentence for a woman convicted of driving.

Saudi Arabia's King Abdullah on Wednesday overturned a court's sentence of 10 lashes for a woman arrested for driving in the kingdom.

The monarch's decision overturns a court ruling Tuesday against Shaima Jastaina, who was arrested for driving a relative to the hospital, the Associated Press reported.

"Thank God, the lashing of Shaima is cancelled," Princess Ameera Al-Taweel, wife of King Abdullah's nephew Prince Alwaleed Bin Talal, posted to Twitter Wednesday. "Thanks to our beloved King. I'm sure all Saudi women will be so happy, I know I am."

While the Saudi King is to be praised, unfortunately it does not represent systemic reform in and of itself. It's essentially a pardon. When Saudi women are not legally hampered from driving and reliant upon the King to throw out their sentences, wake me up.

Guest American Woman

While the Saudi King is to be praised, unfortunately it does not represent systemic reform in and of itself. It's essentially a pardon. When Saudi women are not legally hampered from driving and reliant upon the King to throw out their sentences, wake me up.

Agreed - it doesn't represent systemic reform, so why is the king to be praised?

Far from me to defend a Saudi prince, but I think you have chosen a wrong moment to make your point - and be sarcastic.
Women in Saudi Arabia are to be given the right to vote and run in future municipal elections, King Abdullah has announced.

He said they would also have the right to be appointed to the consultative Shura Council.

The move was welcomed by activists who have called for greater rights for women in the kingdom, which enforces a strict version of Sunni Islamic law.

BBC

-----

jbg, however small the change and however this happens, I am in favour. I would prefer that the change occurs without bloodshed.

You Americans killed almost a million among yourselves to decide whether you would have a country and how you would treat one another. We in Canada - despite our differing religions and languages - have managed our affairs with far fewer death.

I hope that Arabs choose the Canadian way.

Edited by August1991

Guest American Woman

Because he's smart enough to realize that it was bad PR to whip some girl for driving?

And for that he is to be praised? Why? Because we think so little of him/his country/his religion that we praise him for what should be normal, civilized behavior?

Guest American Woman
You Americans killed almost a million among yourselves to decide whether you would have a country and how you would treat one another. We in Canada - despite our differing religions and languages - have managed our affairs with far fewer death.

It's a bit easier to manage one's affairs when one has a much smaller population to consider/deal with. As Canada is getting more diverse, Canada is dealing with more problems. It's just within relatively recent history that you've had "differing religions and languages" to deal with. Canada was settled in no small degree by people who wanted to be/chose to be loyal to the crown.

hope that Arabs choose the Canadian way.

I hope they choose what's right for them - and act on it. Sometimes a large occurrence of deaths at one time is no worse than a smaller occurrence of deaths over a greater period of time. It's all relative to what one is willing to put up with in their lifetime.

Edited by American Woman

It's a bit easier to manage one's affairs when one has a much smaller population to consider/deal with. As Canada is getting more diverse, Canada is dealing with more problems. It's just within relatively recent history that you've had "differing religions and languages" to deal with. Canada was settled in no small degree by people who wanted to be/chose to be loyal to the crown.

I hope they choose what's right for them - and act on it. Sometimes a large occurrence of deaths at one time is no worse than a smaller occurrence of deaths over a greater period of time. It's all relative to what one is willing to put up with in their lifetime.

The only great sin that America committed recently was to put profit and comfort for a few above the safety and security of the many - Saudi Arabia should have been smashed to shit for what they facilitated - and the American elite put the importance of buisness contacts above being loyal to their common fellow Americans - this is the great sin - betrayal of your own!

Guest American Woman

The only great sin that America committed recently was to put profit and comfort for a few above the safety and security of the many - Saudi Arabia should have been smashed to shit for what they facilitated - and the American elite put the importance of buisness contacts above being loyal to their common fellow Americans - this is the great sin - betrayal of your own!

So what did Canada do?

So what did Canada do?

Kept our mouths shut and continued to collect the money - sad to say - not picking on you are contesting anything. Yes this nation is no better than yours in so far as honesty - we have a barbaric elite also - just more low key and less inclined to be identified or made public figures - the whole idea after all this time is totally tragic - and if we could we would both fall to the ground and weep - but will not because if we gave in to this sadness - we would never stop crying...so we stay calm and carry on - but we do not trust as we once did.

Far from me to defend a Saudi prince, but I think you have chosen a wrong moment to make your point - and be sarcastic.

BBC

-----

jbg, however small the change and however this happens, I am in favour. I would prefer that the change occurs without bloodshed.

I hope that Arabs choose the Canadian way.

Arabs have already killed far more than a million of each other, and mostly pointlessly, and are as far from settling anything as ever. They didn't choose either the Canadian or American way, as should be plainly obvious to even the most casual observer.

Guest American Woman

Arabs have already killed far more than a million of each other, and mostly pointlessly, and are as far from settling anything as ever. They didn't choose either the Canadian or American way, as should be plainly obvious to even the most casual observer.

This is the truth.

It's so difficult for me to understand the whole 'women as second class citizens' mentality. My Mom and three sisters and I were talking about it last night and reiterating how unbelievable it is that a king in this day and age should be "praised" for not allowing a woman to be lashed for driving.

This is the truth.

It's so difficult for me to understand the whole 'women as second class citizens' mentality. My Mom and three sisters and I were talking about it last night and reiterating how unbelievable it is that a king in this day and age should be "praised" for not allowing a woman to be lashed for driving.

My mother was a very independent woman..strong - free and an enterpriser. The idea of her being lower than a male counter part was unthinkable. It would never even come to mind for consideration. This "king" is not of any noble royal lineage - but the genetic product of tribal brutality and mindlessness - It was the oil hungry west that created this "royal" family - they are in truth - just rich ruthless peasants...a real KING would not allow anyone to be tortured...lashed or stoned or have body parts chopped off..to praise this jerk for appeasing the west in order to appear to have class is ludicrous.

Well, it's not that difficult to understand, really. The mindset has been perpetuated by religion, and enforcement has been made possible by sexual dimorphism in humans (where males are generally physically larger and stronger). You must remember, it's only in the last century that women stopped being second class citizens even in advanced western democracies. The Arab world is, culturally, roughly where the western world was about 800 years ago, at the start of the inquisition. We can only hope it doesn't take them 800 years to catch up.

The Arab world is, culturally, roughly where the western world was about 800 years ago, at the start of the inquisition. We can only hope it doesn't take them 800 years to catch up.

Actually it's moving in the opposite direction. Relatively relaxed Islamic societies such as Indonesia, Pakistan and Turkey are being infiltrated by Saudi-funded madrassas spreading militant, virulent strains.

Actually it's moving in the opposite direction. Relatively relaxed Islamic societies such as Indonesia, Pakistan and Turkey are being infiltrated by Saudi-funded madrassas spreading militant, virulent strains.

That's why I chose 800 years ago, the beginnings of the inquisition, as my starting point. Things got a lot worse before they got better.

Should have invaded Saudi Arabia - not Iraq or Afghanistan...but I guess Russia and China would have been pissed off at such a bold oil grab...The Saudis do not deserve the wealth and status they have on the planet earth... When I see a woman that is raped - and blamed for the rape---then her hands tied behind her back and buried in sand up to her waist - then to have her brains bashed out with rocks............I say this is a society that does not deserve the luxury of the white light of day...What horrific barbarism - what self indulgent sadism - what satanic entitlement! As for their progress..........to have a group that rule with the power of oil..and not have any moral high ground what so ever is a sinister account of the western worlds complicity to this barbarism.