A crime debate without facts or arguments

Shwa

...In other words, in employment, health care, pensions, social safety net, housing, transportation, etc., the wealthy are jealous of the poor and middle classes and their greed and supremist view of their superiority is their only motive...

This is nonsensical....why would the wealthy be "jealous" of the non-wealthy? Were the poor more satisfied when both the wealthy and middle class were "jealous" of them ????????????

• Replies 168
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm still waiting for anyone to show how stiffer sentences and more prisons is actually going to address the issue of under-reported crime.

The imaginary crime rate is there to explain the increase in the real crime rate once the effects of crackin' down and gettin' tough that real exerts in criminology point to start kicking in. As someone said this legislation does seem a little on the sinister side.

All to get elected. :(

Canada is so so fucked up its not funny.

Edited by eyeball

I have another suggestion for why there is so much unreported crime, especially among minority communities:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meT8CJgEBQw&feature=player_embedded

Connect the ideological dots. The police no longer make people feel safe, especially minorities, so they believe there is nowhere to turn for help. The proposed changes to the Criminal Justice System is just going to exacerbate an already poor situation.

Edited by cybercoma

Olson isn't mentally ill. Nor is Bernardo. I don't buy poverty as the root of crime either, not in Canada. I'm not saying no one is stealing stuff to feed himself or pay the mortgage, but I don't think it's the norm. Besides, violence isn't necessary if all you're doing is trying to alleviate your poverty. And cruelty, what explains that? Some people are just assholes.

What do you call it when some guy brushes against another guy's shoulder in a club, and the guy who gets brushed thinks he's being 'dissed', starts a fight, and winds up stabbing or shooting people? Poverty? Addiction? Stupidity?

Drugs are the big problem. Hard drugs sap you of the ability to work even while demanding large sums of money. We ought to be forcing people into rehab, locking them up, and not letting them go until they're over whatever drug they're addicted to. But we've never put nearly as much money into rehab as we ought to have. That's a provincial responsibility, though.

[/quotE]

So you don't think Berardo was a chemically imbalanced obsessive compulsive with autosomatism related to sexual acts? Or is serial raping women "normal" thought process? I think you may have deeper issues here than some of us other "non normal" people.

Serial abduction and rape is not normal thought process. If it is to you you got issues and they are mental.

There is a fine line between attraction to the opposite sex and serial rape, that line is represented by mental fraility.

It is psychotic behaviour.

A mental state caused by psychiatric or organic illness, characterized by a loss of contact with reality and an inability to think rationally. A psychotic person often behaves inappropriately and is incapable of normal social functioning.

while I wouldn't say shove a needle up his bum , I would say it is not acceptable, and the route cause is psychosis.

Premeditated murder for non defensive purposes is also mental fraility.

At the very least it is loss of contact with the moral and human basis of civilized social interaction, many crimes of moral turpitude are mental failings due to lack of knowledge or aberancy of mind or social upbringing - only rehab or death will resolve that. Punishing a psychotic is counter productive..

Edited by William Ashley

...Connect the ideological dots. The police no longer make people feel safe, especially minorities, so they believe there is nowhere to turn for help. The proposed changes to the Criminal Justice System is just going to exacerbate an already poor situation.

No way...."minorities" (code word) still turn to the police when robbed, assaulted, and murdered...by other "minorities". MSNBC won't help you in Canada! :)

No the man was talking about unjust laws, it's right there in the quote. And what's with the derogatory remarks towards people that smoke marijuana?

Are you a holier than thou beer drinker/hypocritical Christian?

No, I just think people who use dangerous mind altering drugs for entertainment on a regular basis are morons.

Oh, excuse me, was that 'derogatory' towards potheads?

Edited by Scotty

You're right to some extent, but you're critciising it on the assumption that it's gender-biased against men. That's not exactly the case. The problem is that it's ideologically biased towards a crime and punishment model, which doesn't necessarily work in a domestic violence environment and I would argue that it just doesn't work all that well for society as a whole. It seems gender-biased because for every 1 woman that's arrested for domestic violence, there are 9 men arrested for it. That, however, has more to do with the inherent gender power disparity in society and not necessarily a function of some systemic bias. Many times the victim doesn't want the accused removed from the home because he may be the father of the children and he may be providing a substantial portion of the revenues for the family-unit. In this case, taking a father away from his kids and the provider away from his job could potentially cause more harm than good.

And yet I've also seen reports of studies which seem to show that women are as or more likely than men to initiate physical confrontations in a relationship. Yet men are the ones who usually get arrested because, in a way, society still sees women as children. Ie, yes, she might have pushed you and slapped you and kicked you, but you're the BOY, so you don't hit GIRLS, no matter what.

And, of course, men are rarely going to call police to complain that their wife slapped or punched or kicked them. But if they do hit back, and the woman then calls police, then in most cases he's the one charged and booted out.

No, I just think people who use dangerous mind altering drugs for entertainment on a regular basis are morons.

So you don't drink alcohol for entertainment on a regular basis? What ever a regular basis means. One drink a year at Christmas is a regular basis.

mind-altering drug - a drug that can produce mood changes and distorted perceptions

(sounds like alcohol to me)

Beverage alcohol (ethyl alcohol) is a drug. But exactly what is a drug? A drug is simply “Any substance which when absorbed into a living organism may modify one or more of its functions.” by David J. Hanson, Ph.D.

As far as "dangerous mind altering drugs" how many deaths a caused by marijuana as compared to alcohol?

Judge Not Lest Ye Be Judged, and Let Him Who is Without Sin Cast the First Stone Scotty boy

Edited by CitizenX

I'm still waiting for anyone to show how stiffer sentences and more prisons is actually going to address the issue of under-reported crime.

It will address the issue OF crime. I don't think anyone has suggested it will affect the reporting rate of crimes. The reporting rate of crimes, or rather, the falling reporting rate of crime, as documented by Stats. Canada, is brought into the conversation to explain why the official crime rate, which is based on police reported crime, might be inaccurate.

It will address the issue OF crime. I don't think anyone has suggested it will affect the reporting rate of crimes. The reporting rate of crimes, or rather, the falling reporting rate of crime, as documented by Stats. Canada, is brought into the conversation to explain why the official crime rate, which is based on police reported crime, might be inaccurate.

Yet, the issue of crime is that it's at the lowest it has been in 40 years. So, the argument has been... "yeah, but people aren't reporting it, so criminals are not arrested." If it continues to go unreported, all these new prisons and stiffer penalties will do nothing to put the unreported criminals in jail. So we're building more prisons for the stiffer penalties we're making then, I take it. Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, don't you think?

However, alcohol is only dangerous when used to excess.

Narcotics are dangerous period.

It would be a lot more fun debating you if you knew what you are talking about.

The first thing you should understand about the word "narcotic" is that it is used incorrectly more than it is used correctly. Marijuana, cocaine, and meth are not"narcotics". The word "narcotic" comes from the Greek word "narkos", meaning sleep. Therefore, "narcotics" are drugs that induce sleep. Specifically, that means the opiates such as heroin, morphine and related drugs.

Cocaine and meth are not "narcotics". They are "stimulants", the exact opposite of a "narcotic". They cause people to be more awake and more active, not sleepy. Marijuana and alcohol may even have a tendency to induce sleep at times. However, calling them "narcotics" simply shows a lack of understanding of the different effects.

You sould call marijuana a psychoactive drug.

Edited by CitizenX

If you're implying that I'm a "doper", I assure you that I am not. The effects wreak havoc on my nerves. I could never get into it.

No I wasn't, but I feel sorry for the poor dopers who seem so hard done by. That reminds me...need to see how Marc Emery is doing these days in a privately operated Georgia prison.

According to this bill, if you rape a baby, you get 10 years. Grow some marijuana plants, you get 14 years.

This is what they meant by *scary* *scary*.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/conservatives-force-early-vote-on-massive-crime-bill-opposition-cries-foul-130634648.html

According to this bill, if you rape a baby, you get 10 years. Grow some marijuana plants, you get 14 years.

This is what they meant by *scary* *scary*.

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/conservatives-force-early-vote-on-massive-crime-bill-opposition-cries-foul-130634648.html

I don't know why I'm surprised, but WOW :blink: . Any comments from the conservative poster here on this site? Ohhhh Please try and defend this.

Headline should read

HARPER LIKES BABY RAPERS MORE THAN POT GROWERS

Edited by CitizenX

The Conservatives have said the reporting of crime will increase once people see they are serious about cracking down and getting tough once criminals are arrested.

Well, there are waaay more pot growers than baby rapers, so from a safety standpoint, of course the law is a failure. However, if your goal is to fill the prisons, so the vultures that make money off prisoners and the justice the system can get their beaks wet, then it will be a glowing success.