"All Our Son's Command"

The National Athem is a song - a song is a story. The story was told back when this song was written. The song happened to be about the sons of every Canadian at that time. Sons at that time played a specific role. One of them was to be a soldier. Or to be the one to do the hardest of labour on the farm. The story as I mentioned was about a male. The song was about a male and the part that men played within the great and proud nation.

The song is about the north...perhaps we should remove the word north to possibly appease and not to offend some of the recent immigrants from the south? The song contains the word true. Maybe would should remove that word to appease and please the relative moralists amongst us who might find the word TRUE offensive?

There is also the phrase "true patriot love"....to the internationalist and those that would like to see a world with out boarders - this might be highly offensive?

Think of the MEN that died during world war one - and two - the great Boer war in Africa - and so on and so on...should they role over in their graves at the notion that they who died for the nation will no longer have a sexual idenity "Here lies John,It died serving his nation"

Who comes up with these strange and stupid Ideas that the national athem needs to be changed - don't change it - If they are bound and determined to change it LET THEM WRITE THERE OWN DAMNED SONG FROM SCRATCH AND SUBMIT IT TO THE PEOPLE.

Maybe would should remove that word to appease and please the relative moralists amongst us who might find the word TRUE offensive?

I hold this much to be True: you're a senile old deadbeat.

-k

-k

Kimmy Kimmy Kimmy - a dead beat can not work on a piece of fine art for 18 hour stretches...nor could a dead beat hold a job in the film buisness for a solid 18 years - working for up to 20 hours a day for 23 days in a row - a dead beat would have walked away from his children and not stuck it out for 27 years...a dead beat would not bother being on this forum attempting to at least pass on something to the next generation that might be useful...and a dead beat would never bother being pissed off as I am with you at this moment.

-k

Okay so the topic is ill prepared....no need to get nasty....maybe I should have been a liar and not revealed my personal buisness nor trusted the likes of you...Madam...I am only as senile as I choose to be .....Jeezzz I can't believe you said that - you are an inexperienced person with no sense of the spirit .... Do you really worship this system so much as to attack me on it's behalf....Remember you can not serve to masters...You can not serve God and Mammon (money) YOU will grown to love one and hate the other...I guess it is easier to go with the flow and not be cut from the herd...stick with the sheep my dear - the wolves will eventually over take them....again - why the hell would and intelligent person as yourself use the term "deadbeat" Did you know that 50 years ago the tax department refered to all artists and musicans and writers as dead beats? Maybe you live in the past?

Kimmy Kimmy Kimmy - a dead beat can not work on a piece of fine art for 18 hour stretches...nor could a dead beat hold a job in the film buisness for a solid 18 years - working for up to 20 hours a day for 23 days in a row - a dead beat would have walked away from his children and not stuck it out for 27 years...a dead beat would not bother being on this forum attempting to at least pass on something to the next generation that might be useful...and a dead beat would never bother being pissed off as I am with you at this moment.

Weren't you the guy who was bragging last week about how he gets paid by the government to do nothing full-time?

Okay so the topic is ill prepared....no need to get nasty....maybe I should have been a liar and not revealed my personal buisness nor trusted the likes of you...Madam...I am only as senile as I choose to be .....Jeezzz I can't believe you said that - you are an inexperienced person with no sense of the spirit ....

I have a spirit the likes of which you've never seen.

-k

Weren't you the guy who was bragging last week about how he gets paid by the government to do nothing full-time?

I have a spirit the likes of which you've never seen.

-k

It was theatre - this electronic media is not as real as you might expect - it is an entertainment device...no I was not bragging - it was someone else who said that I was a dead beat and I took exception - as for payment - 6000 a year is NOT money..it is not even charity - My family supports me because I supported them..

I knew that the spirit thing would get your goat...of course I know you have great spirit...and "the likes of which" I have never seen - is a bit scarey but highly attractive --- to bad I am an old man...Kimmy - I don't like my present position - I simply burned out - and fell down...and gave up hope in the system you protect --------------all if forgiven - again it was not bragging...I just wanted to give you guys some perspective - there are many sides to me...I have shown but on in these regards....still hate you lol

The National Athem is a song - a song is a story. The story was told back when this song was written. The song happened to be about the sons of every Canadian at that time. Sons at that time played a specific role. One of them was to be a soldier. Or to be the one to do the hardest of labour on the farm. The story as I mentioned was about a male. The song was about a male and the part that men played within the great and proud nation.

The song is about the north...perhaps we should remove the word north to possibly appease and not to offend some of the recent immigrants from the south? The song contains the word true. Maybe would should remove that word to appease and please the relative moralists amongst us who might find the word TRUE offensive?

There is also the phrase "true patriot love"....to the internationalist and those that would like to see a world with out boarders - this might be highly offensive?

Think of the MEN that died during world war one - and two - the great Boer war in Africa - and so on and so on...should they role over in their graves at the notion that they who died for the nation will no longer have a sexual idenity "Here lies John,It died serving his nation"

Who comes up with these strange and stupid Ideas that the national athem needs to be changed - don't change it - If they are bound and determined to change it LET THEM WRITE THERE OWN DAMNED SONG FROM SCRATCH AND SUBMIT IT TO THE PEOPLE.

Let's talk about history:

Canada's first unofficial national anthem:

The Royal Anthem

God save our gracious King,

Long live our noble King,

God save the King:

Send him victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us:

God save the King.

O Lord, our God, arise,

Scatter his enemies,

And make them fall.

Confound their politics,

Frustrate their knavish tricks,

On Thee our hopes we fix,

God save us all.

Thy choicest gifts in store,

On him be pleased to pour;

Long may he reign:

May he defend our laws,

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice

God save the King.

French Canada also had:

Le Canada

Il est sous le soleil une terre bénie,

Où le ciel a versé ses dons les plus brillants,

Où, répondant ses biens la nature agrandie

A ses vastes forêts mêle ses lacs géants.

Sur ces bords enchantés, notre mère, la France,

A laissé de sa gloire un immortel sillon,

Précipitant ses flots vers l'océan immense,

Le noble Saint-Laurent redit encor son nom.

Heureux qui la connaît, plus heureux qui l'habite,

Et, ne quittant jamais pour chercher d'autres cieux

Les rives du grand fleuve où le bonheur l'invite,

Sait vivre et sait mourir où dorment ses aïeux.

Later, Lord Baden Powel taught Scouts a modified version under Queen Victoria's reign (the King/Queen change was standard depending on the reigning monarch, but notice the drop of the middle part of the unofficial anthem):

God save our gracious Queen,

Long live our noble Queen,

God save the Queen:

Send her victorious,

Happy and glorious,

Long to reign over us:

God save the Queen.

Thy choicest gifts in store,

On her be pleased to pour;

Long may she reign:

May she defend our laws,

And ever give us cause

To sing with heart and voice

God save the Queen

Then later we had:

The Maple Leaf Forever

In days of yore, from Britain's shore

Wolfe, the dauntless hero, came

And planted firm Britania's flag

On Canada's fair domain.

There may it wave, our boast and pride

And join in love together

The thistle, shamrock, rose entwine

The maple leaf forever.

Chorus

The maple leaf, our emblem dear

The maple leaf forever

God save our King and heaven bless

The maple leaf forever.

At Queenston Heights and Lundy's Lane

Our brave fathers side by side

For freedom, homes and loved ones dear

Firmly stood and nobly died

And those dear rights which they maintained

We swear to yield them never

Our watchword ever more shall be

The maple leaf forever.

Our fair Dominion now extends

From Cape Race to Nootka Sound

May peace forever be our lot

And plenteous store abound.

And may those ties of love be ours

Which discord cannot sever

And flourish green o'er freedom's home

The maple leaf forever.

Then French Canada had:

Ô Canada!

Terre de nos aïeux,

Ton front est ceint de fleurons glorieux!

Car ton bras sait porter l'épée,

Il sait porter la croix!

Ton histoire est une épopée

Des plus brillants exploits.

Et ta valeur, de foi trempée,

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

Protégera nos foyers et nos droits.

And around WWI we had:

O Canada! Our fathers' land of old

Thy brow is crown'd with leaves of red and gold.

Beneath the shade of the Holy Cross

Thy children own their birth

No stains thy glorious annals gloss

Since valour shield thy hearth.

Almighty God! On thee we call

Defend our rights, forfend this nation's thrall,

Defend our rights, forfend this nation's thrall.

Though it also faced competition from a popular version in BC:

O Canada, our heritage, our love;

Thy worth we praise all other lands above;

From sea to sea throughout thy length,

From pole to borderland,

At Britain's side, what'er betide

Unflinchingly we'll stand;

With heart we sing, "God Save the King",

Guide then one empire wide, do we implore,

And prosper Canada from shore to shore.

Along with competition from other versions, always based on the melody of the French version.

Then we had:

"O Canada! Our home and native land!

True patriot love thou dost in us command.

We see thee rising fair, dear land,

The True North, strong and free;

And stand on guard, O Canada,

We stand on guard for thee.

And finally a Parliamentary committee adopted the first official English version:

O Canada!

Our home and native land!

True patriot love in all thy sons command.

With glowing hearts we see thee rise,

The True North strong and free!

From far and wide,

O Canada, we stand on guard for thee.

God keep our land glorious and free!

So if you're here to prevent any change or modification to the anthem, you're well over a century too late for that.

Oleg--- you asked the wrong questions--- The question is-----

With what can we replace the dirge that we call our national anthem?

It's only a dirge if/when dumbasses perform it as a dirge. I figure folks should be asked to march on the spot with high knees while singing. It would cure the worst of that 'playing the 78 at 33'.

(I love some of those over-ornate European marches. The Italian anthem is a hoot.)

I don't even know our national anthem anymore. It has undergone several changes during my time, including mandatory sections that were to be sung in French, then the revised English version. Then "From far and wide" (gratuity toward immigration.." and now, this.

Don't get me wrong, I support these ideas, equal opportunity for immigrants, equality of the sexes, only I don't agree they have to keep tinkering with a song to embody them. In doing so, they have only further dilute the concept of a Canadian national identity. Our anthem is become obscure to us.

But I believe that Canadians WANT to have a national identity they can recognize, only they won't find it in this song. A Harveys hamburger commercial has more national identity to it, if you know which one I mean.

Hold on a second...Are you trying to say you work in the film industry? Was this before or after you married a rich heiress and proceded to live in the lap of luxury and not work? Was this also before or after your apparent days on the streets that you told us about years ago? Oleg, you have indeed lived a fanciful life...fanciful in that you make it all up and every day it seems like you have a new life story.

For the record, a lot of deadbeats actually DO 'work' for 18 hour stretches on 'fine art'. Most of the 'working', however, is usually the naps these artistes take after lighting up on the public dollar. :rolleyes: