Most Overplayed Songs

bloodyminded

Can I guess which ones?

I think in any urban area you will have a mix but outside that not really.

FOr instance the Moose is across northern and mid-ontario and they do have a morning duo of DJ's but come mid morning they are gone and no announcers. The website doesnt list any DJ's other than the morning crew and a news announcer.

The morning guy is also the PM .

The have stations in Muskoka , Parry Sound, Elliot Lake, North Basy , Bancroft etc. All under the Haliburton Broadcast Group.

I like the Moose, it ain't ours. And ours aren't in Toronto...

I listen to it in Bancroft...and sometimes online. I liked their tag line from a few years ago...

Some stations play classic rock, some play easy listening, some play hip hop....we play...whatever...

To my knowledge, each one plays different music at different times, ie, Moose parry sound is not playing the same song as Bancroft...

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like the Moose, it ain't ours. And ours aren't in Toronto...

I listen to it in Bancroft...and sometimes online. I liked their tag line from a few years ago...

Some stations play classic rock, some play easy listening, some play hip hop....we play...whatever...

To my knowledge, each one plays different music at different times, ie, Moose parry sound is not playing the same song as Bancroft...

I like it too, sane enough music to have in the background. And every 2 mins the weather.

I recall that tag, was good.

But as for playing the same song at same time, they do sometimes. If not the saem time, you can play the game of 'guess which song they will play next " with the kids.

Since I am in the overlap of Parry Sound and Muskoka, I can listen to both, firgure which one is ahead and then amaze people with my unusual brilliance in predicting playlists.

I 'll take Let There Be Rock,Highway To Hell,Dirty Deeds etc over anything Brian Johnson did...

It's like Van Halen...There are the albums up to 1984 and then there's nothing...

How can you not like the songs Back in Black or Hells Bells? Very similar to the great ones you mentioned.

But ya, Van Halen before and after David Lee Roth was a big change, very different singers.

My company owns two stations.

Well, I can guarantee they ain't Q107 or any other large city outlet!

If they're in Northern Ontario then I doubt if they buy playlists or have DJs pull their own songs at all! I remember being up in Port Loring staying at a rented cottage. There was only one FM station that we could get on our table top portable radio that played rock. The other one played country, which wasn't our cup of tea.

Any how, I swear that station had only 1 hour of music on an "endless loop". Being younger we stayed up and played cards and whatnot most of the night. At first when we kept hearing the same song "I wanna be a cowboy -do doot da doot- and you can be my cowgirl! -do doot da doot" at the same time each hour it was something to laugh at. After 6-8 hours we began to talk seriously about farmers' nitrate fertilizer, diesel fuel and a visit to the station's transmitting antenna! We could understand that we weren't in the big city but still, that local radio station didn't need more money to do far better than that!

Somehow, I don't think a few stations from areas like Cow Patty in northern Manitoba will negate my argument. Certainly, they won't support yours. When half your listeners are livestock, who the hell cares?

How can you not like the songs Back in Black or Hells Bells? Very similar to the great ones you mentioned.

But ya, Van Halen before and after David Lee Roth was a big change, very different singers.

Back in Black is tolerable...

Hells Bells??

Post Bon Scott crapola...

Well, I can guarantee they ain't Q107 or any other large city outlet!

So can I!

If they're in Northern Ontario then I doubt if they buy playlists or have DJs pull their own songs at all! I remember being up in Port Loring staying at a rented cottage. There was only one FM station that we could get on our table top portable radio that played rock. The other one played country, which wasn't our cup of tea.

I think canned programming is an option for small budget stations. The cost of thencan versus the cost of talent...of course, it depends on the cost of talent...

Any how, I swear that station had only 1 hour of music on an "endless loop".

That's a reality with lost of stations...they program maybe 3 hours of music (pick your genre) and repeat. The rational is supported by BBM...the average listener doesn't listen for 3 hours straight.

"Three coins in a fountain". Not a good song to sing on buses.

If I hear one more version of IMAGINE by John Lennon, I will toss my self under that bus...what a dumb tune - written as if it was some dreamy and positive version of communism.....eeeeeh!

Somehow, I don't think a few stations from areas like Cow Patty in northern Manitoba will negate my argument. Certainly, they won't support yours. When half your listeners are livestock, who the hell cares?

I swear to God, Bill, in all of North America there's no place even close to as radio deficient as northern Ontario.

I hate Hells Bells so much that when Chez played it for the umpteenth time in the early morning I sent them a nasty letter telling them I didn't need to hear screaming heavy metal first thing in the morning. They wound up talking about, and dismissing that complaint on air. Then some time later, I started hearing this little cartoony voice now and then - you know how they pop up in morning shows, saying "I think I know what people want to listen to in the morning".

What I don't listen to in the morning any more is CHEZ.

Huh??

Cobain was the lead singer and guitar player in Nirvana...And Smells like Teen Spirit is one song off the spectacular Nevermind album...

You won't hear any of them on CHEZ. As far as they're concerned, he has one song, same for George Thorowgood.

Because FM left no number history, companies forming playlists for today's "classic rock" stations rely on AM Top 40 numbers from those times. So we never hear all the songs that generation listened to on albums. We only hear the Top 40 3 minute hit version. Many hugely popular album bands never had an AM pop hit! They sold millions of albums yet are never heard today.

I don't think Bruce Springsteen ever had much success in terms of top forty individual hits. Maybe that explains why CHEZ rarely ever plays anything of his.

For me, it was Aerosmith that made me turn off "classic rock radio" forever. You can only hear about some senior citizen "living it up while he's going down" so many times.

Kurt Cobain. He has one song - Smells Like Teen Spirit. Chez FM plays it at least every couple of hours.

George Thorowgood. Again, he has one song - One Bourbon, One Scotch, One Beer.

Anything by AC/DC or Metallica. I can't tell if they have more than one song. Whatever they play, the screaming and pounding sounds the same.

Saying Nirvana only has "Smells like teen spirit" because that's all they play on the radio is like saying Pink Floyd just has "Another brick in the wall" because that's all that they play on the radio. It sounds like you should consider changing to a different radio station.

George Thorogood has more than one song. It's just that they all sound exactly the same.

Generic George Thorogood Hit

G (I'm rather intoxicated.)

G (My life partner is mad at me)

C (because I sit around a bar all day)

G (instead of looking for work.)

D (I can't find gainful employment)

C (and my financial situation is precarious.)

G (I don't know how I find the money)

D7 (to pay for all the alcohol I drink.)

-k

It is controlled by corporate and listener call -ins cannot request anything they want since the station will not play it.

"Corporate" lives within the rules of the CRTC not the other way around. He who makes the rules controls the game.

Anyway....as for Canadian content deemed necessary by the CRTC ...I keep my barf barrel handy.

I don't think Bruce Springsteen ever had much success in terms of top forty individual hits. Maybe that explains why CHEZ rarely ever plays anything of his.

Maybe CHEZ just sucks??

Is'nt that a Corus station and uses alot of Q-107's playlist??

If that's the case,it would explain the horrendous repetition.There's a reason I no longer listen to Q-107 anymore.It's a shadow of its former self...

I listen to 97 Rock in Buffalo,if I'm listening to music..Classic rock ,but alot less repetition!

I actually heared them play the 11th Earl of Mar on a Saturday afternoon once!!!

When was the last time you heared that on the radio??

All top 40 songs are overplayed especially classic rock.

For me, it was Aerosmith that made me turn off "classic rock radio" forever.

:D... I hear ya.

For me it was all the 80's hair bands. Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Poison, Whitesnake, and the rest of the horrid glam-rock that decade shat into my eardrums.

I cant listen to the radio at all anymore.

For me it was all the 80's hair bands. Motley Crue, Aerosmith, Guns and Roses, Poison, Whitesnake, and the rest of the horrid glam-rock that decade shat into my eardrums.

I object to Guns And Roses being lumped in with the rest of that feces.

They made some great music and their handful of radio hits was just the tip of the iceberg as far as what they were capable of. (as with Nirvana and "Teen Spirit" or Pink Floyd and "Another Brick in the Wall", so with Guns and Roses and "Sweet Child of Mine".)

-k

George Thorogood has more than one song. It's just that they all sound exactly the same.

Generic George Thorogood Hit

G (I'm rather intoxicated.)

G (My life partner is mad at me)

C (because I sit around a bar all day)

G (instead of looking for work.)

D (I can't find gainful employment)

C (and my financial situation is precarious.)

G (I don't know how I find the money)

D7 (to pay for all the alcohol I drink.)

Kimmy, you realize that George has had very few original songs. Virtually every thing he's performed is a cover of old blues, from artists like John Lee Hooker.

Your list of themes is pretty well what the blues is all about! I suspect that you are not much of a blues fan in the first place. If you do want to understand the genre better, you might want to pick up a book like "The Devil's Music" or autobiographies of BB King or Muddy Waters. It will explain the history of the blues and why it so aptly fitted with the situations of its audience at the time. Black folks that came up from plantations to work in northern war factories often did have trouble finding well paying employment, or love troubles, or with booze. All under an umbrella of racism, to boot!

There are many similarities between many blues songs but its the differences that can be subtle but worth appreciating. One artist can sing the same song with the same arrangement and evoke a completely different emotional feel, just by the differences between the singing voices.

If you're not from that culture then appreciating the blues is an acquired taste, like drinking Irish Whiskey straight or British beer warm. Still, many folks find it well worth it. The blues is truly the basis for all of our modern rock and roll.

-k

Kimmy, you realize that George has had very few original songs. Virtually every thing he's performed is a cover of old blues, from artists like John Lee Hooker.

Your list of themes is pretty well what the blues is all about! I suspect that you are not much of a blues fan in the first place. If you do want to understand the genre better, you might want to pick up a book like "The Devil's Music" or autobiographies of BB King or Muddy Waters. It will explain the history of the blues and why it so aptly fitted with the situations of its audience at the time. Black folks that came up from plantations to work in northern war factories often did have trouble finding well paying employment, or love troubles, or with booze. All under an umbrella of racism, to boot!

Racism? George is almost as pale as me. If he "got a haircut" he could "get a real job", just like in the song. He looks like an accountant with a mullet.

There's a wonderful blues guitarist here in town. I've seen him play a few times at local joints, and I love the sound. I'd far rather listen to authentic blues musicians than hear some middle-aged white accountant with a mullet brag about what a bad-ass he is while simultaneously explaining that he's a deadbeat who can't pay his bills or keep the missus happy.

-k

You are kidding me right? Born in the USA tops #1 singles to only two other albums in history. And the other two are Thriller, and Rythm Nation (michael and janet).

You are kidding me right? Born in the USA tops #1 singles to only two other albums in history. And the other two are Thriller, and Rythm Nation (michael and janet).

I don't mind some of his earlier stuff...

Rosalita,Everybody's Got a Hungry Heart,Blinded By The Light..etc..

Born In The USA ,at least to me,was'nt his best stuff...And frankly,album sales really are'nt a barometer of "great music"...

Example??

Did'nt one Brittany Spears sell alot of albums??