Canadian gov't won't list asbestos

The government of Canada won't list a form of asbestos as a hazardous material, even though Health Canada, International Agency for Research and the US Department of Human and Services says it should be. The material, Chrysotile is a carcinogen declared by the the above organizations. This material has been linked to cancer should be added to the UN treaty, better know as the Rotterdam Convention. Canda exports $90 Million of it, all coming from Quebec. If thisd material is so safe, then why have homeoners have/are taking it out of their homes and its also being taken out of the Parliament Buildings and at 24 Sussex Drive? It look like its just another dangerous material, that is making a profit for the government and they choose money over health. http://ca.news.yahoo.com/health-canadas-asbestos-advice-rejected-government-013948772.html

We need to make an international organization that has binding control over such things.

Something doesn't stop causing cancer when you cross the border.

We have international organizations that are already doing this kind of thing, but are ineffectual in it. IAEA was to regulate nuclear plants ... and well, see Fukushima.

But it should be Canada telling Quebec what is what instead of the other way around. So I can't see international organizations being effective for this. I don't put much faith in international organizations anyways.

The PM's view as long as countries wants to buy it, he won't stand in their way. The Industry minister said today that as long as its handle the right way their no danger, BS! They are taking it out on the Hill and he says there's no danger? It showed one country were its workers were throw it up in the air to separate it, can you imagine his lungs? This government is a double -standard government. BTW, if a country WANTS to buy products for a nuke, by Harper view, Canada is open for business.

We need to make an international organization that has binding control over such things.

Something doesn't stop causing cancer when you cross the border.

Ridiculous. I don't want to cede our sovereignty to any international organizations. You're a real anti-freedom techno-crat type aren't you?

The Industry minister said today that as long as its handle the right way their no danger, BS! They are taking it out on the Hill and he says there's no danger? It showed one country were its workers were throw it up in the air to separate it, can you imagine his lungs? This government is a double -standard government. BTW, if a country WANTS to buy products for a nuke, by Harper view, Canada is open for business.

Ummm... not necessarily saying that Asbestos is safe, and not saying whether it should be banned or not... but how exactly do "workers throwing it up to separate it" in any way address the claim that its safe if "handled the right way"? I would assume that "throwing asbestos" would be something that would be considered "handling it the wrong way".

Its like someone saying "gasoline is a safe fuel to use in transportation", and you try to refute him by pointing to the gas fight in Zoolander to prove that its dangerous. (i.e. you're trying to debunk an argument by bringing up an irrelevant example.)

Ummm... not necessarily saying that Asbestos is safe, and not saying whether it should be banned or not... but how exactly do "workers throwing it up to separate it" in any way address the claim that its safe if "handled the right way"? I would assume that "throwing asbestos" would be something that would be considered "handling it the wrong way".

Its like someone saying "gasoline is a safe fuel to use in transportation", and you try to refute him by pointing to the gas fight in Zoolander to prove that its dangerous. (i.e. you're trying to debunk an argument by bringing up an irrelevant example.)

Are you really trying to talk sense to Topaz? Dream on.

Ridiculous. I don't want to cede our sovereignty to any international organizations. You're a real anti-freedom techno-crat type aren't you?

I'll admit to the technocrat part. But I'm pretty sure that there are sovereignty concessions you would be willing to make right ? Such as to trade and the WTO ?

• 3 weeks later...

It's been almost a month since this story has come out and its still out there doing some damage to Canada on the international scene. Sometimes, countries make mistakes over profit or greed whatever you want to call it. Canada doesn't want to put warning labels on the product and by doing so, I think its making it more "attention getting" than just quietly putting the warning label on and let it slowly disappear from the media. http://www.hilltimes.com/dailyupdate/view/187

We have international organizations that are already doing this kind of thing, but are ineffectual in it. IAEA was to regulate nuclear plants ... and well, see Fukushima.

But it should be Canada telling Quebec what is what instead of the other way around. So I can't see international organizations being effective for this. I don't put much faith in international organizations anyways.

The only really effective means would be the peoples vote. Having said that, the Canadian public gave this government a majority, despite clear evidence that they are lying scum. So now, let Canadian voters take responsibility for everything that happens as a consequence, within Canada and abroad.

• 1 month later...

The Tories are at odds with a woman whose hubby died of cancer from asbestos and apparently she's been using the Conservative logo to use against the exporting of asbestos to other countries. Thoughts? http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/tories-tussle-with-asbestos-widow-over-use-of-party-logo-in-ad-campaign-127677078.html

The Tories are at odds with a woman whose hubby died of cancer from asbestos and apparently she's been using the Conservative logo to use against the exporting of asbestos to other countries. Thoughts? http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/canada/breakingnews/tories-tussle-with-asbestos-widow-over-use-of-party-logo-in-ad-campaign-127677078.html

Your Winnipeg link didn't work for me. But I found it here-

http://www.winnipegfreepress.com/breakingnews/tories-tussle-with-asbestos-widow-over-use-of-party-logo-in-ad-campaign.html

Topaz, any party that closed down the asbestos industry would lose a ton of votes, because it's a QUEBEC industry! Period and end of story!

You appear to be saying Harper should do it anyway! We all know you hate Harper but if you think he will voluntarily commit political suicide just to make you happy you are dreaming in technicolour!

What's more, do you seriously think any other party would do such a thing?

You're just being silly!