• Replies 476
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Greg has made an announcement warning everyone that it is illegal to discuss the results before all the polls are closed.

The last polls close in the Pacific timezone at 7pm (PST), 8pm mountain time, 9pm eastern, 10pm atlantic and 10:30pm in Newfoundland.

Do NOT discuss any results from the other ridings until the above times.

See you all back here then.

I do have a question... aren't local newspapers/radios/TVs allowed to release results to locals...and as an American, would I be able to access this?

I'm not planning on posting these results here, of course, as I don't want MLW to be liable for the dissemination of the data... it's more to satisfy my curiosity. :)

:lol:

I'm actually waiting for the Jack Layton jokes in regards to the topic at the top of the page: Premature Transmissions.

I was listening to Edmonton CBC Radio One this morning/early afternoon and heard that term many, many times.

It always gave me a laugh. :lol:

Flipping through my television schedule, it appears that the election coverage starts at the above mentioned times.

News sites probably would not post the results online, since online coverage crosses timezones.

They're being very careful this time around. Last election, they were declaring Harper the winner before BC polls even closed. This could have influenced people voting for other parties to stay home.

Edited by cybercoma

I do have a question... aren't local newspapers/radios/TVs allowed to release results to locals...and as an American, would I be able to access this?

I'm not planning on posting these results here, of course, as I don't want MLW to be liable for the dissemination of the data... it's more to satisfy my curiosity. :)

No elections Canada will not allow any web based transmissions prior to the polls closing. Most news websites have already disabled all external posting. You might be able to scour twitter and facebook but even that apparently is illegal.

Flipping through my television schedule, it appears that the election coverage starts at the above mentioned times.

News sites probably would not post the results online, since online coverage crosses timezones.

They're being very careful this time around. Last election, they were declaring Harper the winner before BC polls even closed. This could have influenced people voting for other parties to stay home.

I could potentially find live radio airings online somewhere. The technology does exist to black out websites/tv/radio by IP address, though.

I'm not going to speculate on the ways you can break the law. I'll just say that someone intent on finding out early, probably could. :)

Hey, I can't break the law if I'm not Canadian! :) (Although, I wonder how much it'll hurt any future chance of applying for permanent residency or citizenship? Probably not much, since I'm not actually planning on transmitting data. lol)

Remind me... didn't some polls in 2008 in BC take longer to close than 7 PM, and didn't CBC have to wait until they actually closed to transmit results?

I could definitely see that happening this time if it didn't happen in 2008 due to the increased turnout.

According to an article in the Vancouver Sun on Saturday, twitter et al are considered public transmissions, and those can't be premature, but they say a private e-mail is outside the purview of the legislation, so out here in BC, I have asked friends in Ontario to e-mail me early results.

And for the record, I have already voted so I won't be swayed. And I don't plan on standing on a street corner shouting out the word. (Especially since it is pissing down rain - again.)

Edited by RNG

I was talking to Shaw my satellite provider and they said that there's going to be a blackout on national standings, but you will be able yo see your local results.So people can see their local result get on the phone or cells or computer and still boardcast and see what is going to happen on the national level.

CBC St John's Radio One just got blacked out.

The following is acceptable to discuss:

Before the blackout, they were reporting turnout and discussion with voters, and it seems the NDP is getting a good turnout in NL. Should be interesting.

CBC St John's Radio One just got blacked out.

The following is acceptable to discuss:

Before the blackout, they were reporting turnout and discussion with voters, and it seems the NDP is getting a good turnout in NL. Should be interesting.

I guess we'll just have to take your (intensely biased) word on it. ;)

Well, common sense says, that if these people didn't vote in the elections of the past, then I can't imagine that they are coming out and supporting the Tories, so does this mean Tories will keep their supporters and it won't increase, so CRAP is in trouble.

I have Atlantic Canadian results rolling in, but I will not report on them. I don't want to be banned or worse, charged by EC.

Hold on to your hats.

I *had* them rolling in, then the site I was using took a crap.

I agree with your last sentence!