strategy for tonight?

I think Harper ought to surprise hell out of everyone, and take the wind out of the sails of all three opposition leaders if he comes out all conciliatory in his opening, apologizes for letting the mood in parliament get out of hand and become too partisan, and talks about how much he'd like to see that changed. He could also talk about how the atmosphere, with the opposition controlling committees digging for dirt caused a game of chicken which 'you know, in retrospect we could have taken too far in delaying providing information the opposition wanted to use in their political against us'. Or words to that effect.

On the F35. Again, take a reasonable tone, say that was what the air force told him we needed and what they wanted, and that he wasn't going to second guess the experts or short change the military, that this plane is going to last decades, and the cost has to be spread out over that entire period. I'd also point out that the Liberals paid this company close to $200 million to help develop the plane. If they really wanted a free and open competition why didn't they contribute money to the development of other aircraft?

Layton needs to attack Ignatieff as much as Harper. It's Ignatieff trying to steal his voters, not Harper. He needs to point out that the NDP really believes in its policies while Ignatieff, not known previously as left of centre, has been just making promises he doesn't intend to keep to poach NDP support.

Edited by Scotty

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Harper - talk about the economy. Numbers on his side

Ignatieff - talk about ethics, go for the throat. Has tory "scandals" on his side

Layton - establish credibility

Duceppe - watch the gong show and wave the quebec flag.

I think Layton HAS credibility. At least with those who are at all likely to vote for him. What he needs to do is damage Ignatieff's credibility.

And yes, Harper has to bring up their economic record, including the report today from the Bank of Canada, Harp on (no pun intended) their economic stewardship. But I think he would really screw up Ignatieff's game plan if he came on as regretful about the way the last parliament deteriorated. I'm not saying he should take all the blame, and doesn't deserve to. But he choosing his words "let ourselves be provoked" etc. would do wonders in grabbing undecideds.

Layton needs to attack Ignatieff as much as Harper. It's Ignatieff trying to steal his voters, not Harper. He needs to point out that the NDP really believes in its policies while Ignatieff, not known previously as left of centre, has been just making promises he doesn't intend to keep to poach NDP support.

This will be very telling. Jack's real support right now has been drained by the Liberals. If he's taking this seriously, he's going to go after Ignatieff with both barrels, and mostly ignore Harper. Attacking Harper would do nothing for Jack, because very few CPC voters would swing straight to the NDP anyway.

My inclination would be that Harper will probably not go hard after the opposition. I think he wants them to pile on like they did in the last debate, while he calmly lets them take their shots. It makes them look desperate.

No matter what Ignatieff does, the media will probably declare him the winner. Anything short of a complete mental breakdown on his part will seem so much better than what even his own supporters are expecting that it'll look great by comparison. As long as Ignatieff doesn't pee on his shoes, people will be impressed with him.

Duceppe? Whatever he says or does is a waste of everyone's time. He should be limited in his role in the debate. When the Socreds were down to being only being represented in Quebec, Caouette only got to join in to a later segment of the debates, not the whole thing, specifically because he wasn't running in the rest of Canada.

This will be very telling. Jack's real support right now has been drained by the Liberals. If he's taking this seriously, he's going to go after Ignatieff with both barrels, and mostly ignore Harper. Attacking Harper would do nothing for Jack, because very few CPC voters would swing straight to the NDP anyway.

My inclination would be that Harper will probably not go hard after the opposition. I think he wants them to pile on like they did in the last debate, while he calmly lets them take their shots. It makes them look desperate.

No matter what Ignatieff does, the media will probably declare him the winner. Anything short of a complete mental breakdown on his part will seem so much better than what even his own supporters are expecting that it'll look great by comparison. As long as Ignatieff doesn't pee on his shoes, people will be impressed with him.

Duceppe? Whatever he says or does is a waste of everyone's time. He should be limited in his role in the debate. When the Socreds were down to being only being represented in Quebec, Caouette only got to join in to a later segment of the debates, not the whole thing, specifically because he wasn't running in the rest of Canada.

Jack is sitting right where he was last election don't let the media pretend otherwise. The Liberals are 3% higher because the greens are coming home. He does not need to attack the Liberals until they attack him to keep the status quo.

Look for Layton to ridicule Ignatieff's sudden about face on taxes on corporations. Ignatieff has been calling for lower taxes on corporations for years, right up through most of the recession. Suddenly it's all a plot to benefit the rich?

Duceppe should not be there. He is just a distraction who gets in the way of the people actually contending for votes and trying to put their message across to English Canadians.

Agreed. I add this which may sound heartless to some but Jack must try to appear fit and not bring attention to his cane which will serve to remind people that his health is not the best. I say this because viewers are left with a mental picture of the leader during the debate. Voters want their leaders to look like they are healthy and able to withstand the physical rigours of managing a country.

My inclination would be that Harper will probably not go hard after the opposition.

Agreed. At all cost he must not come across as angry even when provoked by insults hurled at him. Remaining calm instills confidence.

No matter what Ignatieff does, the media will probably declare him the winner.

---

As long as Ignatieff doesn't pee on his shoes, people will be impressed with him.

I disagree Dave. He must stand toe to toe with Harper and appear as a PM in waiting. He must watch his words and not use cliches like "spending like drunken sailors" or "cotton picking". IMO his weakness will be adjusting to sudden changes of subjects from other leaders. In academia he was in charge of the subject matter of debates, here not so much.

Duceppe? Whatever he says or does is a waste of everyone's time.

I'm expecting him to snarl a lot at Harper sort of like a pit bull, while looking more bug-eyed than ever.

It's on.

Layton is doing very well and looks strong. Good for him.

---

See, Ignatieff asked Layton why he changed the subject. :lol:

He banged the podium, starting to look angry...not good.

---

Harper holding his own on economy...so far...

---

BTW to Bryan, in my haste, sorry I addressed you as Dave. :)

Layton is doing very well and looks strong. Good for him.

---

See, Ignatieff asked Layton why he changed the subject. :lol:

He banged the podium, starting to look angry...not good.

---

Harper holding his own on economy...so far...

---

BTW to Bryan, in my haste, sorry I addressed you as Dave. :)

Iggy didn't like that Layton wanted to talk about his support of tax cuts. Hahaha you could see the wheels turning "I got to change this subject right now".

For sure Layton is running away with this one because he is the only one with facts on the subject.

Apparently not. Layton is failing big time.

Seriously? I think he is the only speaking and trying to make very real points.

I see a lot of talking points on Iggy's desk which he goes back to whenever he is avoiding questions and Harper is doing really well considering he is getting hammered over and over again.

Apparently not. Layton is failing big time.

I agree, I don't like ignatieff, but layton played ignatieff's game on afghanistan and took a beating.

Harper is surviving so far, barely.

Harper's doing the right thing by avoiding eye contact with ignatieff.

Edited by blueblood