Liberals raise $1,000,000 in 4 days since election call

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/ottawa-notebook/liberals-trumpet-unbelievable-campaign-fundraising-gains/article1965110/

Obviously the message Ignatieff is putting out is resonating more than people thought. Even more than I thought. The question remains how long will it last.

Now they need to cut into the Tory support. Thus far they're just sucking the blood out of the NDP.

Now they need to cut into the Tory support. Thus far they're just sucking the blood out of the NDP.

I think it's a shoe-in that the Tories will start bleeding support. It seems that for them it's been getting worse and worse as the week has gone on and it's going to continue for a couple of more days now that the bully has been revealed to be the coward that he is by chickening out of the 1 on 1 debate.

The questions that linger is how much they'll be able to cut in and if they can keep it up. The CPC seems to be hopelessly off message. If they can get back on things would stabilize I think. However, if Harper is content to run out the clock playing up the coalition boogeyman as it seems he's more than happy to right now, who knows what could happen.

So, normally stingy supporters finally dug into their pockets for the good of the party. Hmm. I bet there was enough lint attached to those donations to spin into a nice red sweater for Ignatieff.

I'm impressed that you have a spin for everything. Even money. :lol:

I think it's a shoe-in that the Tories will start bleeding support. It seems that for them it's been getting worse and worse as the week has gone on and it's going to continue for a couple of more days now that the bully has been revealed to be the coward that he is by chickening out of the 1 on 1 debate.

Hope springs eternal, I suppose. I still think the Tories have at least even odds of getting a slim majority.

This has bein a real bad week for Harper.He's coming off sounding very desperate.

I thought this was the case when I saw his performance singing a duet earlier this weak.

I have heard people here say that he did this performance because he would win promo points,but he really embarisingly stuck his neck out.He downright humiliated himself publicly.Act of desperation.

I said this before and I will say this again-the conservatives never wanted this election and spring elections are bad for the incumbant.Real Bad!

I could be wrong.

But ultimately we will only know May 3 2011

WWWTT

The odds of a Liberal government are far smaller than the odds of a Tory majority.

Not the way things are going right now.

Even the National Post is saying Ignatieff has all the momentum.

http://fullcomment.nationalpost.com/2011/03/31/john-ivison-ignatieff-ditches-%E2%80%98uptight%E2%80%99-image-for-campaign/

Yet to this point, none of it is sticking. For a man with Russian and Scottish ancestry, he is having the luck of the Irish – the road is rising up to meet him and he has the wind at his back.

As his current chief of staff, Peter Donolo, has observed of campaigns in general: “Once you have the look of a losing campaign, it gets worse and worse. Once you have the look of a winning campaign, it gets better and better. Mistakes that might get you into trouble are sort of glossed over.”

There’s a long way to go yet but there’s no doubt who has the momentum going into week two.

Maybe the Liberals will use some the money to pay back some of the $40 million in Adscam money they received. Or at least, they could use it to pay back the debts of their leadership candidates.

---

The parties will spend up to $21 million during the campaign.

Elections Canada has issued political parties and candidates their spending limits for the May 2 election.

Any party that fields a candidate in each of the 308 ridings can spend just more than $21 million in the election campaign, according to Elections Canada. The spending caps on the parties hovered close to $20 million in 2008.

CBC

Since the campaign lasts for about 35 days, the Liberals will need to raise about $2 million every four days for the duration of the campaign if they want to break even.

----

The perception in the MSM and on the left is that the Conservative Party represents the rich, powerful and evul corporations. Yet, the Conservative Party alone relies on funding from many small donors.

Barack Obama received seed money from Oprah Winfrey but his much more expensive campaign ultimately relied on small donations from ordinary people too. Obama spent about $750 million to become president in 2008.

I reckon that this difference is due to a mentality of State-dependency. Canada's Left has a mentality of State-dependency; America's Left does not.

----

Lastly, has anyone considered the CBC/MSM/Toronto Star pro-Liberal/NDP spending? Or how about R-C giving generous reports to Duceppe?

If the Toronto Star has an editorial urging you to vote for Ignatieff, Elections Canada ignores it. But if I buy an advertisement in the Toronto Star advocating the same, Elections Canada will (in theory) have the RCMP lay criminal charges against me.

Edited by August1991

Maybe the Liberals will use some of it to pay back some of $40 million in Adscam money they received. Or at least, they could use it to pay back the debts of their leadership candidates.

---

The parties will spend up to $21 million during the campaign. CBC

Since the campaign lasts for about 35 days, the Liberals will need to raise about $2 million every four days for the duration of the campaign if they want to break even.

----

The perception in the MSM and on the left is that the Conservative Party represents the rich, powerful and evul corporations. Yet, the Conservative Party alone relies on funding from many small donors.

Barack Obama received seed money from Oprah Winfrey but his much more expensive campaign ultimately relied on small donations from ordinary people too. Obama spent about $750 million to become president in 2008.

I reckon that this difference is due to a mentality of State-dependency. Canada's Left has a mentality of State-dependency; America's Left does not.

----

Lastly, has anyone considered the CBC/MSM/Toronto Star pro-Liberal/NDP spending? Or how about R-C giving generous reports to Duceppe?

If the Toronto Star has an editorial urging you to vote for Ignatieff, Elections Canada ignores it. But if I buy an advertisement in the Toronto Star advocating the same, Elections Canada will have the RCMP lay criminal charges against me.

I guess you're forgetting the editorials in the entire Sun chain of newspapers along with the National Post AND at least last election, the Globe and Mail that pleaded people to vote for Harper.

Also, this entire post surmises that the Liberals didn't have the money beforehand.

I guess you're forgetting the editorials in the entire Sun chain of newspapers along with the National Post AND at least last election, the Globe and Mail that pleaded people to vote for Harper.
So, the G&M issues one unsigned editorial that no one reads urging people to vote for Harper.

Meanwhile, most of its regular journalists (and let's be honest here) do not vote Conservative. Who walks down the halls of Toronto's CBC centre and says loudly: "I like Stephen Harper and I will vote for him!"? No one.

Similarly, no one walks down the halls of Montreal's R-C centre and says loudly: "I'm a Canadian! I love the Rockies!"

English Canada's MSM is centre-left (and the CBC simply left) and French-Canada's R-C is centre-left and sovereignist/independantist/separatist/nationalist. Canada's MSM has two bases: One is based in urban Toronto and the other is based in urban Montreal. Urban Toronto votes Liberal unless it votes NDP. Urban Montreal votes Bloc unless it's anglo and votes Liberal or even NDP.

No one in urban centres - no journalist, no chase producer, no researcher in the MSM - votes Conservative. And if they do, they keep their opinions to themselves because, in effect, they live in a totalitarian state.

Edited by August1991

So, the G&M issues one unsigned editorial that no one reads urging people to vote for Harper.

Meanwhile, most of its regular journalists (and let's be honest here) do not vote Conservative. Who walks down the halls of Toronto's CBC centre and says loudly: "I like Stephen Harper and I will vote for him!"? No one.

Similarly, no one walks down the halls of Montreal's R-C centre and says loudly: "I'm a Canadian! I love the Rockies!"

English Canada's MSM is centre-left (and the CBC simply left) and French-Canada's R-C is centre-left and sovereignist/independantist/separatist/nationalist. Canada's MSM has two bases: One is based in urban Toronto and the other is based in urban Montreal. Urban Toronto votes Liberal unless it votes NDP. Urban French Montreal votes Bloc unless it's anglo and votes Liberal or even NDP.

No one in urban centres - no journalist, no chase producer, no researcher in the MSM - votes Conservative. And if they do, they keep their opinions to themselves because, in effect, they live in a totalitarian state.

The "Main Stream Media" in Canada is "Centre-Left to Left"...

I'll give ya' the Ceeb and the Toronto Star...

The rest???

...wait for it....

:lol::lol::lol:

Edited by Jack Weber

English Canada's MSM is centre-left (and the CBC simply left) and French-Canada's R-C is centre-left and sovereignist/independantist/separatist/nationalist. Canada's MSM has two bases: One is based in urban Toronto and the other is based in urban Montreal. Urban Toronto votes Liberal unless it votes NDP. Urban Montreal votes Bloc unless it's anglo and votes Liberal or even NDP.

Wow...times must be really tough in Tory Town to resort to this level of attack on the press.

Wow...times must be really tough in Tory Town to resort to this level of attack on the press.
Harper will go over the heads of the MSM to get his message out.

Federalists in Quebec (Trudeau/Chretien were masters at the art) did the same. Nixon was also a master of this.

----

No federalist in Quebec (certainly one from outside Montreal) is going to get fair treatment from the Montreal-based MSM. The people at La Presse may have a boss but they also have their personal opinions.

Similarly, no right wing politician (certainly not from the West) is going to get fair treatment from the Toronto-based MSM.

If you're a politician, the only way to deal with this is to go over the heads of the MSM and speak directly to the potential voters. It requires talent.

----

But as I say, who in the CBC votes for Harper? (When I listen to R-C, I wonder - who voted Non in 1995?)

If that argument doesn't work, consider that Toronto votes Liberal and NDP while French Montreal votes Bloc/PQ. Canada's English MSM is based in Toronto, and the French MSM is based in Montreal - le Plateau.

Draw your own conclusions.

Edited by August1991

If you're a politician, the only way to deal with this is to go over the heads of the MSM and speak directly to the potential voters. It requires talent.

Speaking of the media, I've been watching Ignatieff interact with them. The adjective that comes to my mind about Ignatieff's performance with reporters is "unctuous". I get the impression Ignatieff thinks he's got them in his pocket. Sooner or later he'll screw up and his gaffe will make headlines not to his liking. I'll be watching whether his demeanor toward them changes afterward.

Harper will go over the heads of the MSM to get his message out.

Federalists in Quebec (Trudeau/Chretien were masters at the art) did the same. Nixon was also a master of this.

You have an interesting perspective August, I'll give you that. Chretien and Trudeau were darlings of the MSM and were always imminently quotable.

Nixon? Yeah he was a master until he wasn't. Then he became the focus of the MSM and they got him good.

----

No federalist in Quebec (certainly one from outside Montreal) is going to get fair treatment from the Montreal-based MSM. The people at La Presse may have a boss but they also have their personal opinions.

Of course this is the great cultural divide right? The press in QC have "personal opinions" while the press in TROC are mere shills. Wait, what's this? Oh, Quebecor.

Similarly, no right wing politician (certainly not from the West) is going to get fair treatment from the Toronto-based MSM.

Then you really have no clue about the "Toronto-based MSM" do you?

It does. So Mr. Harper has already indicated that he doesn't have the chops to go one-on-one in a live debate with Mr. Ignatieff. If he had "talent" he wouldn't be afraid of this medium of speaking directly to potential voters.

But as I say, who in the CBC votes for Harper? (When I listen to R-C, I wonder - who voted Non in 1995?)

If that argument doesn't work, consider that Toronto votes Liberal and NDP while French Montreal votes Bloc/PQ. Canada's English MSM is based in Toronto, and the French MSM is based in Montreal - le Plateau.

Ah, if it were only that simple eh?

That is in itself, a great thing.

I think it's too early to say if it means much of anything, to be honest with you, but let's presume that this just isn't early election volatility. It means strategic voting on the part of left-of-centre voters, which means Iggy might have room to try to go after more voters towards the centre, seeing as he has effectively broadened his base.