Greens Not Welcome At Televised Debate

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

She was a colossal waste of time at the last leadership debate.

I think that supporters of all the major parties should be pleased. It'll give the real leaders more time to make their case and to challenge each other.

Kudos to the networks for putting their foot down. Enough's enough, Liz.

-k

It'll give the real leaders more time to make their case and to challenge each other.

Yup! Now all we have to do is find some!

Why are so many people opposed to the Greens being at the debate? They got 7% of the popular vote, even if they didn't get a seat. If nearly 1 out of every 10 people filling out ballots checks off a Green candidate, they ought to be able to see their party's leader at the debates. The fact that the other parties largely ignored her in the last debate only goes to show that there is a "club" in Ottawa and new perspective is muchly needed.

The fact that the other parties largely ignored her in the last debate only goes to show that there is a "club" in Ottawa and new perspective is muchly needed.

But shouldn't the debates be among potential PM's or at the very least potential opposition leaders?

But shouldn't the debates be among potential PM's or at the very least potential opposition leaders?

The problem with that is the Bloc participating, which is why you need to adjust your statement to include "opposition leaders".

I think the criteria should be any party that either 1) has a candidate in every riding or 2) has an elected MP in the house should be invited. If the Greens don't have a candidate in every riding, then they should not be at the debates. I'm not sure if they do.

The problem with that is the Bloc participating, which is why you need to adjust your statement to include "opposition leaders".

I think the criteria should be any party that either 1) has a candidate in every riding or ....

So you would have welcomed the natural law party? I mean...well Doug Hennings was entertaining...

You got the right answer for the wrong reason. While I have serious doubts that the Bloc should be allowed to sit in Parliament at all, the fact is that they were the Opposition from 1993 to 1997. A parties' intentions in Opposition could well be explored in debate; and it's scrutiny I'm sure the Bloc wouldn't enjoy.

I think the criteria should be any party that either 1) has a candidate in every riding or 2) has an elected MP in the house should be invited. If the Greens don't have a candidate in every riding, then they should not be at the debates. I'm not sure if they do.

Actually not a bad approach. But query how does one ensure that, to gain entry to the debates, a party doesn't put up an 18 year old with no funding in certain ridings to skirt the law? In other words someone with no chance of election as an MP, but a candidate nevertheless?

May not welcome in leaders' debates: networks

http://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/canadavotes2011/story/2011/03/29/cv-may-greens-debates.html

Sounds good to me. 2008, we were assured was the Year of the Greens, and the support nationally she managed to muster was pitiful, and worse, in her arrogance and stupidity, Elizabeth May ran against a popular cabinet minister.

If we let the Greens into televised debates, then by all that's holy, I want to see the Marxist-Leninists let in, if for no other reason than the sheer entertainment value.

Oh I'm sorry, did the Marxist-Leninists win over one million votes nationally in any federal elections they fielded candidates? NO, then where's the comparison. What this is about is an effort by the major parties, the media, and no doubt a lot of corporate lobbying from industries who don't want any party on the ballot that makes the environment the focus of their attention. Have the big three said anything about carbon taxes or cap and trade schemes this time around? If they have, I'm not aware of it. For them, the environment is just one more issue to play with for votes.....or to ignore completely, if they think it's going to work better to cozy up to the tar sands developers.

Supposedly, when fringe parties and satirists like the Rhinoceros Party, started getting squeezed out of the political process by high ballot entry fees, we were assured that any new parties that received significant popular support, and could field candidates nationally, they would be allowed into the process by being included in the debates....but that appears to be another broken promise. When I've felt bored enough to sit through a few minutes of election news coverage in the last few days, it's the same song and dance, in the same order: a photo op of Harper making another promise he'll never keep; and Iggy and Layton going through the motions, since this will likely be the last campaigns for both of them! And sometimes they throw in video clip of Gilles Duceppe stepping off his campaign bus.

Judging from the pre-emptive campaign advertising that has been all over the TV during the last year, I'm betting that we are reaching the threshold which America passed a few election cycles ago, where corporate donations will determine who wins elections. Along with the increased cost of politicking, we will likely be heading down the road to a two party system....with either the Libs or the NDP disappearing, or being amalgamated. Then we can have a gung-ho pro-business party on the right, and a more discreet pro-business party supposedly on the left...just like those Democrats in the U.S..

I don't think anyone's opinion on May's personality or suitability to lead a national party are an issue. How many votes she got is even of very little importance, IMO.

What's important is that she's been given every opportunity in the wold, opportunities other fledgling parties never got. Not only has she repeatedly failed to win a seat as the leader of the party, her entire party has never elected a single member.

She should come back if/when she wins her seat, and The Green Party itself should be much smarter about the economy of their vote. Concentrate all national efforts on one sole task: win one seat for your leader. Spend all your time and resources in that one riding throughout the campaign. PROVE people wrong. If THAT doesn't work, then you really are no different from any other fringe party, and have no business at the main table anyway.

What's important is that she's been given every opportunity in the wold, opportunities other fledgling parties never got. Not only has she repeatedly failed to win a seat as the leader of the party, her entire party has never elected a single member.

Bottom line is that she was given a great opportunity and squandered it by running in a riding she couldn't possibly win.

It's Doug Henning...

And they were the Yogic Flyers....

Remember his plan for "Veda World"??

:blink::lol::lol:

Yes indeed...And Canada'a defences would by an invincible airforce of yogic flyers sending out good vibrations....he really should have been in on the debates...they had 263 candidtates in...83?

... we will likely be heading down the road to a two party system....with either the Libs or the NDP disappearing, or being amalgamated. Then we can have a gung-ho pro-business party on the right, and a more discreet pro-business party supposedly on the left...just like those Democrats in the U.S..

Yea...those damn 'merkins...how dare they decide on a major two party system without getting Canada's approval! ;)

Yea...those damn 'merkins...how dare they decide on a major two party system without getting Canada's approval! ;)

Major Two Party System...Har! I like the caveat...many fail to see that the US has far more than two parties, but like the Greens, no one really gives a shit about Nader, who isn't in the TV debates either.

May just said on Power Play she's sicking her lawyers on the consortium.

Someone tell Black Dog to have her admitted to this year's Toronto Gay Pride parade on a float. It can make up for her lack of opportunity.

I also think she needs to get elected and be a member of Parliament to feel entitled to debate other mp's. Otherwise anyone running for office also has to be at the debate to be fair not just her and no I am not interested in what the Rhinos or commies have to say or those 2 stoned guys from BC and their marijhuana party. Call me intolerant but I have enough problems staring at that little dweeb dwarf (Layton), the swollen headed one (Duceppe), the one who sneers out of the side of his mouth and looks like he is farting every time he speaks (Iggy) and the pudgy one with the fat ass and girl's hips (Harper).

Ruby Dhalla is the only semi decent one to look at physically and the moment she opens her mouth she makes it clear she should be silenced and sprayed with an extreme mood tranquilizer.

I say vote in Rita McNeil.

Imagine her as PM. Just threatening to have her make a state visit will frighten people into peace.

Edited by Rue

Major Two Party System...Har! I like the caveat...many fail to see that the US has far more than two parties, but like the Greens, no one really gives a shit about Nader, who isn't in the TV debates either.

Perot in 1992 and Anderson (I think) in 1980 were in the debates.

Someone tell Black Dog to have her admitted to this year's Toronto Gay Pride parade on a float. It can make up for her lack of opportunity.

I also think she needs to get elected and be a member of Parliament to feel entitled to debate other mp's. Otherwise anyone running for office also has to be at the debate to be fair not just her and no I am not interested in what the Rhinos or commies have to say or those 2 stoned guys from BC and their marijhuana party. Call me intolerant but I have enough problems staring at that little dweeb dwarf (Layton), the swollen headed one (Duceppe), the one who sneers out of the side of his mouth and looks like he is farting every time he speaks (Iggy) and the pudgy one with the fat ass and girl's hips (Harper).

Ruby Dhalla is the only semi decent one to look at physically and the moment she opens her mouth she makes it clear she should be silenced and sprayed with an extreme mood tranquilizer.

I say vote in Rita McNeil.

Imagine her as PM. Just threatening to have her make a state visit will frighten people into peace.

That right!!!

Screw any debates between these four losers...

Mud wrestling in thongs between Ruby Dhalla and Rona Ambrose!!!

I would watch that!!!!

Who's kidding who??

WE WOULD ALL WATCH THAT!!!