White Pride

Interesting little tidbit from the Sun:

White pride event sparks controversy

Well, it seems like QMI is sparking controversy actually, by writing a story about it. But maybe people at the agency were thinking it would spice things up.

MINDEN, Ont. — A private Canada Day weekend party in Minden, Ont., with the theme "White Village to White Village" is being unfairly portrayed as a white supremacist gathering, its organizer says.

John Beattie, former head of the Canadian Nazi Party and Minden paralegal, says his British Peoples League get-together is about white history and celebrating Canada's first prime minister, Sir John A. Macdonald.

But if his gathering is anything like the 1989 event that drew 80 skinheads to the county, located 190 km north of Toronto, Minden Hills Reeve Barb Reid said the township wants none of it.

However, is some guy - even though be was a former Canadian Nazi and White Supremacist - having a party on his property really controversial at all anymore?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, it seems like QMI is sparking controversy actually, by writing a story about it. But maybe people at the agency were thinking it would spice things up.

However, is some guy - even though be was a former Canadian Nazi and White Supremacist - having a party on his property really controversial at all anymore?

Old news...saw it on CBC a few days ago.

Oops my mistake, the CBC coverage was about a march in Alberta

Edited by M.Dancer

It's an interesting question. No one would doubt for one second that such relatively trivial happenstances are occurring all the time...but it's news, because...because it's published as news. :)

Edited by bloodyminded

It's an interesting question. No one would doubt for one second that such relatively trivial happenstances are occurring all the time...but it's news, because...because it's published as news. :)

It may be news because it is the typical backdoor attempt of white supremacists to advance their agenda. The KKK and Aryan Nation do this white pride bullshit on a regular basis. An argument is made based on false equivalency that whites need to advance a white agenda....problem being that we live in white-dominated societies already, where whites are the majority, and even more crucial, control a larger share of business and a larger share of the nation's wealth than percentage of the population. So, what white special interests are there, except to marginalize other races?

And being in an uncontested majority, whites have never felt any social pressures to organize as a special interest group. The only people who talk about white pride are racists and nazis like the people behind this effort. This guy is identified as former head of the Canadian Nazi Party, so it's a safe bet that his other organization -- British Peoples League, does not include Brits of colour who became citizens.

It may be news because it is the typical backdoor attempt of white supremacists to advance their agenda. The KKK and Aryan Nation do this white pride bullshit on a regular basis. An argument is made based on false equivalency that whites need to advance a white agenda....problem being that we live in white-dominated societies already, where whites are the majority, and even more crucial, control a larger share of business and a larger share of the nation's wealth than percentage of the population. So, what white special interests are there, except to marginalize other races?

And being in an uncontested majority, whites have never felt any social pressures to organize as a special interest group. The only people who talk about white pride are racists and nazis like the people behind this effort. This guy is identified as former head of the Canadian Nazi Party, so it's a safe bet that his other organization -- British Peoples League, does not include Brits of colour who became citizens.

Oh, I agree with all this, including the equivalency matter (which is taken up in more subtle ways by less obvious racists).

But these chowderheads have been at it for some time now.

They're going to get nowhere until they change their image and their rhetoric.

Though I wouldn't be surprised if this is already underway among some of these groups.

Oh, I agree with all this, including the equivalency matter (which is taken up in more subtle ways by less obvious racists).

But these chowderheads have been at it for some time now.

They're going to get nowhere until they change their image and their rhetoric.

Or.. they'll get nowhere until the numbers of visible and other minorities exceed a given tipping point, as has happened in a number of places in Europe. Then, if the mainstream parties continue to blithely ignore problems with immigration you'll see a surge in support for one-trick-pony, anti-immigrant or racist groups as we've seen in the UK, in France, in The Netherlands, Austria and Scandinavia.

It may be news because it is the typical backdoor attempt of white supremacists to advance their agenda. The KKK and Aryan Nation do this white pride bullshit on a regular basis. An argument is made based on false equivalency that whites need to advance a white agenda....problem being that we live in white-dominated societies already, where whites are the majority, and even more crucial, control a larger share of business and a larger share of the nation's wealth than percentage of the population.

Interesting. What about places where whites no longer constitute a majority of the population? In many Canadian cities, whites are now a minority, and in some they are no longer even the largest minority. Consider, for example, Richmond BC:

Chinese 50,215 65,325 78,790 21% 45%

English 30,720 25,800 23,945 -7% 14%

Scottish 20,010 16,890 16,935 0% 10%

Canadian 20,045 23,000 15,475 -33% 9%

East Indian 8,635 10,850 12,390 14% 7%

Irish 13,140 12,090 12,065 0% 7%

German 11,440 9,880 10,375 5% 6%

Filipino 5,035 8,145 10,155 25% 6%

French 7,345 6,720 6,260 -7% 4%

Ukrainian 4,770 4,385 4,255 -3% 2%

Japanese 3,665 4,050 4,035 0% 2%

http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/2006_Ethnicity20987.pdf

By far the most numerous group are the Chinese. If having the right to engage in racial pride activities is a matter of being a minority, should whites in such areas then start partaking in such activities? Or consider California, where within a few years the largest population group will be Hispanics instead of whites.

Personally, I reject the notion that a group's right to have pride and celebrate their common heritage is based on their numerical prevalence in the population. Nor should it have anything to do with being better off financially or owning a bigger share of the national wealth than their % of the population. Or would you deny Jews the right to celebrate their common culture and heritage? Either it is fine for groups to celebrate their race/ethnicity/culture, as in black pride, or it is not. Anything else is a double standard.

From my point of view, there is little point to such celebrations for any race. In Canada, people should pride themselves in being Canadians, not in being black, white, or Asian. However, I believe that freedom of speech and association guarantees people the right to get together and have pride in whatever the heck they want, even if I personally believe it to be of little relevance or interest.

Edited by Bonam

Interesting. What about places where whites no longer constitute a majority of the population? In many Canadian cities, whites are now a minority, and in some they are no longer even the largest minority. Consider, for example, Richmond BC:

Your point is not lost, however you should have gone one step further..............

http://www.richmond.ca/cityhall/council/members.htm

You are correct about the double standard.But even then the reasons are apparent.

Edited by guyser

What bothers me is how the racist movement has hijacked the Skinhead movement, real skinheads aren't racist in the least, in fact the whole style/music has roots in black music/styles.

My head is shaved...

No one,at least those who know me,would ever equate me with being a Klansmen or a NAZI...

Any article where you can use language like "White supremacist" or "Nazi" or "Ku Klux Klan" is going to get some attention.

County Reeve Barb Reid seems very interested in the story. I'd be interested to know if QMI went to her asking for a statement about an event she wasn't aware of, or if it was something she had already decided was a concern before they spoke to her.

If this is a private event on private property (is it?) then I can't see what business it is of the county reeve, and I'm curious as to the justification for talking to the RCMP about the event. I'm curious as to what reason the RCMP has for having the event "under investigation".

-k

If this is a private event on private property (is it?) then I can't see what business it is of the county reeve, and I'm curious as to the justification for talking to the RCMP about the event. I'm curious as to what reason the RCMP has for having the event "under investigation".

-k

Ahh you westerners and your RCMP. ;)

OPP actually....

Anyhow, the party is billed as a 3 day festival and open to friends of the league. I believe that constitutes more than a private party (havent looked) thus the OPP knowing about it. It could be fopr a variety or reasons though....LCBO Permit, Insurance,local by laws on property use and population, sanitary reasons.....

Chinese 50,215 65,325 78,790 21% 45%

English 30,720 25,800 23,945 -7% 14%

Scottish 20,010 16,890 16,935 0% 10%

Canadian 20,045 23,000 15,475 -33% 9%

East Indian 8,635 10,850 12,390 14% 7%

Irish 13,140 12,090 12,065 0% 7%

German 11,440 9,880 10,375 5% 6%

Filipino 5,035 8,145 10,155 25% 6%

French 7,345 6,720 6,260 -7% 4%

Ukrainian 4,770 4,385 4,255 -3% 2%

Japanese 3,665 4,050 4,035 0% 2%

http://www.richmond.ca/__shared/assets/2006_Ethnicity20987.pdf

By far the most numerous group are the Chinese.[/url].

At 52% whites are still the majority

If having the right to engage in racial pride activities is a matter of being a minority, should whites in such areas then start partaking in such activities? Or consider California, where within a few years the largest population group will be Hispanics instead of whites.

What other 'racial festivals' are there ? I can't think of any 'black festivals' 'north Asian festivals' - can you ?

Also, Hispanics are considered white by some measures. It doesn't matter because race is a construct anyway, you see...

Personally, I reject the notion that a group's right to have pride and celebrate their common heritage is based on their numerical prevalence in the population. Nor should it have anything to do with being better off financially or owning a bigger share of the national wealth than their % of the population. Or would you deny Jews the right to celebrate their common culture and heritage? Either it is fine for groups to celebrate their race/ethnicity/culture, as in black pride, or it is not. Anything else is a double standard.

It's fine to celebrate a culture, but what exactly is "white culture" ? It's nothing. You want to take a Venn diagram of English, French, German, Dutch, and whatever other countries are included (Spain ? Italy ?) and point out what they have in common ? That would be skin colour, I suspect.

From my point of view, there is little point to such celebrations for any race.

Agreed.

What other 'racial festivals' are there ? I can't think of any 'black festivals' 'north Asian festivals' - can you ?

Also, Hispanics are considered white by some measures. It doesn't matter because race is a construct anyway, you see...

It's fine to celebrate a culture, but what exactly is "white culture" ? It's nothing. You want to take a Venn diagram of English, French, German, Dutch, and whatever other countries are included (Spain ? Italy ?) and point out what they have in common ? That would be skin colour, I suspect.

Agreed.

Uh...Bonams ethnic paranoia aside....

Caribana is NOT a predominantly West Indian/black celebration?

Johnny Lombardi's CHIN picnic was'nt originally an Italian festival...

Hamilton has Festitallia...

Oh no...what will become of the silly term "visible minority"? Visible majority?

Uh...Bonams ethnic paranoia aside....

Caribana is NOT a predominantly West Indian/black celebration?

It's not BLACKabana. It's a celebration of Caribbean culture and I have been so I guess whites are allowed.

Italian is a race now ? I guess that means that they're not allowed at the Whites Only picnic.

Hamilton has Festitallia...

And Octoberfest, for the other non-white race, I s'pose....

At 52% whites are still the majority

I think you miscounted. From that list, the highest Whites could be, depending on how many in the "Canadian" category are whites, is 40%

Edited by Scotty

Oh no...what will become of the silly term "visible minority"? Visible majority?

I don't think anyone here really cares about what you think of that term. It's an official term used by all organizations in Canada and will continue to be used on this site.

Given your political preferences in the US it seems odd you'd care about anyone not White and Christian anyway.

Certainly your preferred political party doesn't.

Edited by Scotty

I don't think anyone here really cares about what you think of that term. It's an official term used by all organizations in Canada and will continue to be used on this newsgroup.

Given your political preferences in the US it seems odd you'd care about anyone not White and Christian anyway.

That being said, it is a ridiculous term and has a tinge of racism to it. God forbid you are an invisible minority...

It's as racist as first nations...and as exclusionary too

I don't think anyone here really cares about what you think of that term. It's an official term used by all organizations in Canada and will continue to be used on this newsgroup.

OK boss...you betta tell the UN too!

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/story/2007/03/08/canada-minorities.html

LOL! I would expect nothing less from a raging xenophobe like you! Salute! ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

That being said, it is a ridiculous term and has a tinge of racism to it. God forbid you are an invisible minority...

It's as racist as first nations...and as exclusionary too

It's a utilitarian phrase occasionally useful in statistical studies, government programs, and discussions like this one.

Given your party's repeatedly stated disdain for anything and everything said or done by the UN should you really be citing them to justify your repeated complaints about the phrase?