Do you have a favourite piece of classical music?

scouterjim

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

(Lux Aeterna)

It's epic, and I mentioned it in the Movie Soundtracks thread... but does it count as classical music?

Are movie soundtracks just classical music that isn't old yet?

-k

It's epic, and I mentioned it in the Movie Soundtracks thread... but does it count as classical music?

Are movie soundtracks just classical music that isn't old yet?

-k

I'd say so, for some of them anyway. To me, a piece of music being considered "classical" is more about the way it sounds than when it was written. I think there's a specific meaning to the term "classical" when it comes to music, which doesn't simply mean "classic". I'm not an expert on music, but this concept is expanded on on the wikipedia pages about "classical music" and "contemporary classical music".

Edited by Bonam

I'd say so, for some of them anyway. To me, a piece of music being considered "classical" is more about the way it sounds than when it was written. I think there's a specific meaning to the term "classical" when it comes to music, which doesn't simply mean "classic". I'm not an expert on music, but this concept is expanded on on the wikipedia pages about "classical music" and "contemporary classical music".

The so-called Classical period of music really belongs to Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven, ie. that era, that type of music. After Beethoven passed away, Richard Wagner was quoted to have said that the Sonata- Allegro techique (the form of contrasting melodies developed by Haydn, which he personally taught to Mozart and Beethoven) had been "completely sounded out, until all that remains is an empty shell". In other words, no one can top that, it's time to move on.

• 3 weeks later...

Right now, I'm listenning a lot to the Symphonie Fantastique by Berlioz, especially the 4th movement.

I'm not the best music connoisseur, but for some reasons, I prefer the composer of the 20th century, such as Ravel. Well right now, he's the only one from that period that comes to my mind, but I'm more touched by his music than classic and well known geniuses such as Beethoven or Mozart. So I like his Pavane pour une Infante défunte and his orchastred version of Alborada del gracioso.

So I was wondering, could somebody name me other composer whose music is similar to Ravel's ?

Edited by gretchenne

So I was wondering, could somebody name me other composer whose music is similar to Ravel's ?

I'm not sure about music being similar to Ravel's (I'm not much of a fan) but try the usual people before and after him for influences: Debussy, Chabrier, Faure, and Satie.

• 1 month later...
To me, a piece of music being considered "classical" is more about the way it sounds than when it was written.
Bonam, I admire your innocence. Shakespeare and Molière, like Homer and Virgil, wrote in different languages. But in 5000 years, when anyone reads any of them, it will likely be in translation.

Then again, anyone in the future will be able to see a composer sing a composition:

Edited by August1991

• 4 weeks later...

Do you have a favourite piece of classical music?

No

Let those who have never acquainted themselves with the beauty of classical music, wallow in their chosen and self-imposed ignorance. And I do not mean that in any offensive way, because I am quite ready to admit that I am ignorant - by my own choice - of noise made by the likes of Bruce Springsteen, Rolling Stones and any post-Beatles R&R groups.

As for me, my taste in music is quite eclectic. I love pre-Beatles Rock n' Roll, classic oldies, country music and blues, delivered without screeching and wailing and shouting and insane guitar-smashing.

My favourites, however, are CLASSICAL. To paraphrase a bumper sticker I've seen on an eighteen-wheeler: If it ain't classical, it ain't no music.

Give me Capriccio Italiano. Give me any of Liszt's Hungarian rhapsodies. Give me just about any and all overtures, concertos, symphonies and operas and operettas.

Well, that is my take.

Edited by Yukon Jack

• 2 weeks later...

This may or may not be classical, but - if nothing else - it shows the father-son relationship of the two musicians on the lead violins.

"Pacsirta' means 'meadowlark'. Have you ever heard anything as true to life?

Maybe these guys can not make violins speak, but they can certainly make them chirp.

Edited by Yukon Jack