British Leader Admits Multiculturalism Has Failed Badly

On 2/5/2011 at 1:19 AM, bill_barilko said:

If only we had someone with as much guts here in Canada.It's true the rot isn't as deep here but the smell of decay is everywhere.

State multiculturalism has failed, says David Cameron

The prime minister will criticise "state multiculturalism" in his first speech on radicalisation and the causes of terrorism since being elected.[/i]

Addressing a security conference in Germany, David Cameron will argue the UK needs a stronger national identity to prevent people turning to extremism.

The short speech will make it clear that Mr Cameron wants a stronger sense of citizenship and national belonging to replace an approach he thinks has failed, added our correspondent.

'I am a Londoner too'

A genuinely liberal country "believes in certain values and actively promotes them," Mr Cameron will say.

"Freedom of speech. Freedom of worship. Democracy. The rule of law. Equal rights, regardless of race, sex or sexuality.

"It says to its citizens: This is what defines us as a society. To belong here is to believe these things.

"Each of us in our own countries must be unambiguous and hard-nosed about this defence of our liberty."

He will say that under the "doctrine of state multiculturalism", different cultures have been encouraged to live separate lives.

"We have failed to provide a vision of society to which they feel they want to belong. We have even tolerated these segregated communities behaving in ways that run counter to our values."

Building a stronger sense of national and local identity holds "the key to achieving true cohesion" by allowing people to say "I am a Muslim, I am a Hindu, I am a Christian, but I am a Londoner... too", he will say.

David Cameron was right then. Too bad he wimped out when it came to governing. Thus he got Brexit and pushed out the door of 15 Downing Street.

2 hours ago, jbg said:

David Cameron was right then. Too bad he wimped out when it came to governing. Thus he got Brexit and pushed out the door of 15 Downing Street.

May made it obvious yesterday, that no matter what, the British people insist on controlling their own immigration. If that means no trade deals with Europe they'll live with it. They don't intend to become another Sweden, which is spiraling downward into a nightmare of their own creation through ludicrously lax immigration controls.

11 hours ago, Argus said:

May made it obvious yesterday, that no matter what, the British people insist on controlling their own immigration. If that means no trade deals with Europe they'll live with it. They don't intend to become another Sweden, which is spiraling downward into a nightmare of their own creation through ludicrously lax immigration controls.

Quite true. One of my concerns is that the U.S. might wind out having to bail out Europe, again, as a result of this disaster. Think the Marshall Plan. I don't want to offtake their excess nonworking immigrant population.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Looks like UK shifts to take a hard stand.  These men are stripped of their citizenship,

Members of UK Sex Grooming Gang Face Deportation to Pakistan

The ruling by an immigration tribunal clears the way for the men, all of Pakistani nationality, to be removed from Britain. They acquired British citizenship by naturalization.

They were among nine men of Pakistani and Afghan descent convicted of luring girls as young as 13 into sexual encounters using alcohol and drugs. They were based in Rochdale, in northern England.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/02/09/world/europe/ap-eu-britain-sex-grooming.html

34 minutes ago, betsy said:

Looks like UK shifts to take a hard stand.  These men are stripped of their citizenship,

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2017/02/09/world/europe/ap-eu-britain-sex-grooming.html

Don't worry. Canada welcomes refugees. They can all come here.

34 minutes ago, betsy said:

Hell yeah. Good job! Deport them all to the sh&thole they came from.

Looks like President Trump is teaching UK  how to treat muslim vermins.

• Downvote 1

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, hernanday said:

Multiculturalism is working well in Canada, must be a british problem.

British, French, Dutch, Swedish, Danish, etc.  It's more of a geographical problem. Give Canada time. 

1 minute ago, bcsapper said:

It seems fairly obvious to me, given where most migrants seem to have come from.  No numbers though. 

This is not what you were thinking I suspect:

• The Office for National Statistics (ONS) estimate that in 2014, 8.3 million people living in the UK were born abroad, around 13% of the total population of the UK. Of these, 3 million were from countries now in the European Union and 5.3 million were from non-EU countries.

Just now, kactus said:

This is not what you were thinking I suspect:

• The Office for National Statistics (ONS) estimate that in 2014, 8.3 million people living in the UK were born abroad, around 13% of the total population of the UK. Of these, 3 million were from countries now in the European Union and 5.3 million were from non-EU countries.

No, I was talking about Canada.

2 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Hernanday said problems with multiculturalism were a British problem and did not apply to Canada. I suggested he give Canada time. 

Yeah I got it. 

I think the idea that this will catch up with Canada in time is moot as one is already insinuating that multi culturalism hasn't worked in UK. I would call it evolving...

Interesting read just approved by the supreme court in UK...

https://wwwww.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/22/supreme-court-ruling-due-challenge-foreign-spouse-income-limit2/amp/?client=safari

The cases centre on a measure that a UK sponsor must have a minimum gross annual income of £18,600 before they can apply for spouses or partners from non-EEA (European Economic Area) states to join them.

56 minutes ago, kactus said:

Interesting read just approved by the supreme court in UK...

https://wwwww.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/02/22/supreme-court-ruling-due-challenge-foreign-spouse-income-limit2/amp/?client=safari

The cases centre on a measure that a UK sponsor must have a minimum gross annual income of £18,600 before they can apply for spouses or partners from non-EEA (European Economic Area) states to join them.

Too many Ws, I think, in your link.

1 hour ago, bcsapper said:

Hernanday said problems with multiculturalism were a British problem and did not apply to Canada. I suggested he give Canada time. 

I don't see any big problems in Toronto,Gta or vancouver, and many of these areas are white minority now.  I don't know where you live, but things working really well in richmond hill which is rated as a top 10 area to live in the nation.

1 minute ago, hernanday said:

I don't see any big problems in Toronto,Gta or vancouver, and many of these areas are white minority now.  I don't know where you live, but things working really well in richmond hill which is rated as a top 10 area to live in the nation.

I'm pretty much the only immigrant where I live.  I think the only reason there are fewer problems in Canada is that Canada is so big. Ghettoisation as it occurs in Europe hasn't happened yet in Canada, but I think it will, as multiculturalism seems to encourage it.  And when you have 60% of the world's fresh water, almost everyone is coming here eventually.

2 hours ago, bcsapper said:

I'm pretty much the only immigrant where I live.  I think the only reason there are fewer problems in Canada is that Canada is so big. Ghettoisation as it occurs in Europe hasn't happened yet in Canada, but I think it will, as multiculturalism seems to encourage it.  And when you have 60% of the world's fresh water, almost everyone is coming here eventually.

What is ghettoisation?

Europe has had Jewish ghettos since the time of shakespeare.

Canada has white minority cities and cities with slim white majorities that are rated as some of the best place to live.  Maybe Europe's issue is not multiculturalism.  And most people in warm climates can't take cold.  I've lived in Sweden and Finland, Norway and Iceland.  My tolerance for cold is falling, thank goodness we had a mild winter in central canada.

4 hours ago, kactus said:

Yeah I got it. 

I think the idea that this will catch up with Canada in time is moot as one is already insinuating that multi culturalism hasn't worked in UK. I would call it evolving...

Maybe it will, maybe it will not.  Its dishonest to pretend multiculturalism hasn't worked in the uk, you got the angeles, saxons, jutes, irish, scottish, welsh, all living under one flag despite a history of intense violence with each other.  even if all the indians, africans and yellow people left, it'd still have different cultures.  And the biggest cultural issue is with POLES, not ethnic brits.

2 hours ago, hernanday said:

Maybe it will, maybe it will not.  Its dishonest to pretend multiculturalism hasn't worked in the uk, you got the angeles, saxons, jutes, irish, scottish, welsh, all living under one flag despite a history of intense violence with each other.  even if all the indians, africans and yellow people left, it'd still have different cultures.  And the biggest cultural issue is with POLES, not ethnic brits.

I never suggested that multi cuturalis, hasn't worked in UK or elsewhere in Europe. Heck we have like loads of Indians who have been brought to UK to help build the transport infrastructure thanks to British coloniasm....These hard working non Indians who happen to be non muslims (despite the fact that many muslims are blamed for immigration these days) have made their damn share of contribution to the British economy. I would argue that they have contributed even more to the economy than their average native counterparts who are happy just getting their dole money mimicking the economy. You will typically find these average joe blogs are the ones moaning about immigration and blame foreigners for immigration and lack of jobs because they are too lazy to get off their a££ and do some decent job....