We Miss You Northern Peso

Like I said before...Mexico matters:

Many Canadian industries have lost U.S. market share as the dollar has pushed toward parity with the greenback, but
few have fared worse than Canadian auto parts makers.
Their share of all auto-parts imports by the United States has fallen to a record-low 15 per cent, while Mexico’s is now a record-high 30 per cent. That’s “fully reversing pole positions from two decades ago,” Mr. Guatieri says.

Indeed, in January, 1990, the U.S. imported about $2.5-billion (U.S.) worth of auto parts, with $693-million coming from Canada and $293-million from Mexico. By last November, the U.S. imported nearly $8.6-billion of parts, but just over $1.25-billion came from Canada and almost $2.6-billion from Mexico.

...“While travelling Canadians can bask in a cheaper Mexican vacation and 30-degree temperatures, the auto industry can only wish the loonie was still derisively called the ‘northern peso,’” Mr. Guatieri said.

http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2097:we-miss-you-northern-peso-the-globe-and-mail&catid=237:lunes-24-enero-2011&Itemid=34

I agree. There's pluses and minuses to having a high dollar. I like the Canadian dollar to be a little lower than the American dollar.

Why? Our dollar is high because of the dropping US dollar, it's actually lower vs the euro and many other currencies...

We don't need a lower dollar we need more and better markets... Especially a BIG uptik in sales to China an the entire Pacific rim...

The US is clobbering Canada in it's search for foreign markets and Harper is out to play footsie with places like Morocco while Obama is signing all kinds of trade deals with China, India, and other emerging Asian countries like Viet Nam... Oh wait, that's right, it's all about human rights "issues" that China has... Good call Harper... :rolleyes:

Many Canadian industries have lost U.S. market share as the dollar has pushed toward parity with the greenback, but
Their share of all auto-parts imports by the United States has fallen to a record-low 15 per cent, while Mexico’s is now a record-high 30 per cent. That’s “fully reversing pole positions from two decades ago,” Mr. Guatieri says.

Indeed, in January, 1990, the U.S. imported about $2.5-billion (U.S.) worth of auto parts, with $693-million coming from Canada and $293-million from Mexico. By last November, the U.S. imported nearly $8.6-billion of parts, but just over $1.25-billion came from Canada and almost $2.6-billion from Mexico.

...“While travelling Canadians can bask in a cheaper Mexican vacation and 30-degree temperatures, the auto industry can only wish the loonie was still derisively called the ‘northern peso,’” Mr. Guatieri said.

http://embamex.sre.gob.mx/canada/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2097:we-miss-you-northern-peso-the-globe-and-mail&catid=237:lunes-24-enero-2011&Itemid=34

Really? Even more that the US? No wait, that's right, the US lost all it's auto parts manufacturing to Mexico under the BUSH ERA so they had very little auto parts industry left to lose...

In a ripple from the U.S. autos slump, Mexican conglomerate Alfa said on Friday it was temporarily halting production at its nine auto parts plants in Mexico that supply U.S. carmakers.

http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/12/19/us-autos-idUSSP15512620081219?sp=true

By the numbers... Share down to 15%... Sales UP from $693 Million to $1.25 BILLION... I can live with that...

...so can Mexico. But you're in Manitoba, not Ontariariario.

I think even Ontariariarians can can live with a doubling of sales to the US... Especially considering the higher dollar bringing in MORE MONEY on exports, eh... Cheaper imports too... That's call WIN, WIN for Canada...

BTW, nice thread, I didn't think you cared about us this much... ;)

I think even Ontariariarians can can live with a doubling of sales to the US... Especially considering the higher dollar bringing in MORE MONEY on exports, eh... Cheaper imports too... That's call WIN, WIN for Canada...

No...that's not how it works. Canadian exports are taking a hit, and that is not a "Win - Win".

BTW, nice thread, I didn't think you cared about us this much... ;)

I care about Mexico too.

No...that's not how it works. Canadian exports are taking a hit, and that is not a "Win - Win".

On the contrary, that's exactly how it works... Low dollar, some benefit to some exporters (those competing against American exports)... High dollar, big benefit to importers AND some exporters (those selling highly wanted goods/resources, like oil) AND domestic consumers bying products at the local store... Yup, a high dollar is definitely a WIN, WIN for Canada... It's all about sales and marketing... Oh yes, and competion...

But I'm sure you guys down there will soon convince your puppet Harper that it's a bad thing (it is for the US) for Canada and get our dollar to drop down thru Government intervention in the dollar... Your Lobbiest and branch corps. in Canada must be screeming, eh...

I care about Mexico too.

Good for you, you should... For that matter, so should we... I wonder how that North-South rail/road trade corridor from Manitoba to Mexico is coming along...

Unfortunately, the best thing for the manufacturing section in Canada and the US is for Mexico to be the next site for a war between the druggies and the US. Manufacturing there would have to stop and retreat back across the borders.

From what I have seen through media reports the war on drugs is being lost and in addition much of the weaponary used in these violent incidents comes from the USA.

I agree. There's pluses and minuses to having a high dollar. I like the Canadian dollar to be a little lower than the American dollar.

And that's not going to happen as long as we are expanding tar sands development and pumping more oil to the U.S. That's what's driving our dollar up; we've become a petrostate no different than Saudi Arabia. And petrostates end up with oil as the only game in town, as manufacturing is driven into the ground. Free trade has allowed corporations to go to the cheapest labour available, and allowing oil to push our dollar up will gut what's left of the rest of the Canadian economy! A Venezuelan Oil Minister to OPEC said back in the 80's that "oil is the devil's shit"; every country that becomes a major oil exporter soon learns the wisdom of that phrase when oil becomes the only game in town.