Raising the US debt ceiling

Dow futures already down 1% some 401Ks are going to take a beating in the morning. I can not see anyone being happy about this that is for sure as it get closer to Aug 2nd and Republicans refuse all compromise.

Sounds like it'll be time to invest in a couple days. When everyone is panicing and just before the inevitable solution materializes. I expect a tidy profit.

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... You are being dishonest to pretend like they can some how roll those over with out default.

Your imagined 100 billion is your problem...not mine. The real issue is an American problem, nothing Canada can do about it.

Dow futures already down 1% some 401Ks are going to take a beating in the morning. I can not see anyone being happy about this that is for sure as it get closer to Aug 2nd and Republicans refuse all compromise.

Doesn't bother me at all....I make money in either direction.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Sounds like it'll be time to invest in a couple days. When everyone is panicing and just before the inevitable solution materializes. I expect a tidy profit.

That's right...while the weak knees panic....I will be eating their lunch.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gekaEzqj5g

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Those identifying as Tea Party members lack a proper understanding of the place government plays and in particular the use of debt in ensuring public services are provided. They have ham strung their nominal leader John Boehner in averting the financial crisis looming if the debt ceiling is not given the proper mandate. This next week will determine which model of government is preferred and how the market reacts in the event the Republicans are unwilling to move off the position of intransigence demonstrated to date.

The fundamental question will be whether the Grover Norquist model is the one accepted.

It isn't that they lack an understanding, they just don't agree with what the current role of government is, it is an ideological battle.

In my eyes the debt ceiling should not be raised but it most likely will be.

Nope. On July 24 youll spend 10 hours on a Canadian politics forum like you do every other day.

No silly...I am just logged in all day and night....I can afford the extra "hydro" charges! Spent most of today stripping and refinishing a deck and working on a pesky ASCOM driver for an equatorial mount. I did have time to straighten up another member about the US circuit court system...all in a day's work.

If you don't like me being here....leave! ;)

It isn't that they lack an understanding, they just don't agree with what the current role of government is, it is an ideological battle.

Agreed...the nuts and bolts of debt service are secondary. President Obama is taking hits from his own party for daring to reign in future entitlement costs, even with more revenue (taxes). His very role as leader is being questioned and undermined by the status quo. How much is re-election worth?

Yes...it will be raised, but at what political cost?

Of course it is an ideological battle and as you have noted the debt ceiling is more likely than not to be raised. The question is will these negotiations cause signifigant damage to the American economy and not whether someone like Bush-Cheney has the capacity to capitalize on these circumstances.

Jarvis explained his thinking in a blog post Sunday afternoon (he didn’t use the asterisks):

So I was angry. Watching TV news over dinner — turning my attention from scandals in the UK to those here and frankly welcoming the distraction from the tragedies in Norway — I listened to the latest from Washington about negotiations over the debt ceiling. It pissed me off. I’d had enough. After dinner, I tweeted: “Hey, Washington a**holes, it’s our country, our economy, our money. Stop f***ing with it.” It was the pinot talking (sounding more like a zinfandel). . . . And then it exploded as I never could have predicted. . . .

The tweets that keep streaming in — hundreds an hour still — restore my faith not in government but in society, in us. Oh, yes, there are idiots, extremists, and angry conspiracy theorists and just plain jerks among them. But here, that noise was being drowned out by the voices of disappointed Americans — disappointed because they do indeed give a s***.

Many of those tweets centered on the debt-limit negotiations:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/2chambers/post/amid-stalemate-in-debt-limit-talks-americans-take-their-frustrations-to-twitter/2011/07/24/gIQAuumFXI_blog.html?wpisrc=nl_politics

Agreed...the nuts and bolts of debt service are secondary. President Obama is taking hits from his own party for daring to reign in future entitlement costs, even with more revenue (taxes). His very role as leader is being questioned and undermined by the status quo. How much is re-election worth?

Yes...it will be raised, but at what political cost?

IF the politicans are truely in service of a nation they will not worry about "policial cost" - If doing the right thing means losing the next election so be it.

IF the politicans are truely in service of a nation they will not worry about "policial cost" - If doing the right thing means losing the next election so be it.

Too late for that...President Obama will address his nation tonight having been boxed in by the Speaker of the House on this very point. He is still in campaign mode.

Meanwhile, America has solved a much more serious problem....the NFL lockout is over! Yay! :)

When will Obama get serious? This guy's a joke. :rolleyes:

Obama kills bipartisan deal, then Reid resorts to smoke and mirrors

As I reported earlier, the president rejected a bipartisan congressional deal that would have calmed the markets, resolved the debt-ceiling crisis and restored faith in Washington politicians. President Obama was having none of it, demonstrating once and for all that the problem is NOT the House Republicans, but the election-obsessed White House

Washington Post

I say the bipartisan Republicans and Democrats should go ahead with their deal, send it to the President, and force him to veto it. If there were any doubts as to whether Obama is the worst President ever, he's clearly removed them.

When will Obama get serious? This guy's a joke. :rolleyes:

I say the bipartisan Republicans and Democrats should go ahead with their deal, send it to the President, and force him to veto it. If there were any doubts as to whether Obama is the worst President ever, he's clearly removed them.

There is no Bipartisan deal Shady. That was a lie the Democrats called it out as a lie and now close to 100 tea partyers told Boehner they wont vote for his plan so he needs some Democratic votes to pass so maybe he should stop lying about what they are saying. Reid and Pelosi aren't to happy with the Republicans lying about what they saying.

Here Shady I am going to point out you bought into a lie again because you are an easy mark. Don't take any wooden nickels.

Edited by punked

There is no Bipartisan deal Shady. That was a lie

No, it's not a lie. The Washington Post has reported on it. So have other news organizations. You will see, Obama will have to sign the bipartisan compromise, or be held responsible for the results of after August 2nd.

No, it's not a lie. The Washington Post has reported on it. So have other news organizations. You will see, Obama will have to sign the bipartisan compromise, or be held responsible for the results of after August 2nd.

Yah but here is the thing Shady the Democrats have come out and said they never agreed to it and wont vote for it. It isn't bipartisan if only one partisan side will vote for it, it is just partisan than. I don't care who reports on it because it is a lie. You fell for it congrats.

BTW the article you linked isn't an article it is a opinion piece. I can post some Opinion from Krugman if you want, that wont make it a news article dummy. Learn to read it says right at the top of the page POSTOPINIONS! After further investigation it isn't even an opinion article it is in the Post blog section so it is a blog. Not only is it a blog it is a blog from a republican who has been to be a liar like you Shady. Wow could you pick a more terrible source for news. It seems like you like being wrong ALL THE TIME!

Sorry don't use any wooden nickels it might get in trouble no matter what opinion page tells your different.

Edited by punked

...Sorry don't use any wooden nickels it might get in trouble no matter what opinion page tells your different.

But golly gee...based on this kind of thinking you lied about a court ruling and jurisdiction yesterday. Now why would you do that? Say it ain't so....

...and you also fibbed about the US defaulting on Aug. 2nd, when clearly it won't...just like this man says:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-07-25/u-s-can-avoid-default-at-least-until-september-silvia-says.html

I have been very clear that I believe that the 4th is the drop dead date BC and you know that. Of course you would lie about that though.

OK...you're still wrong...and lying big time. If the US does not default by 12:01AM on August 5th, do you promise to apologize to the entire United States of America?