Are Canada's top CEOs worth their millions?

Shwa

Interesting story from the Star, seems to come up every year, so consider this the 2011 version:

Are Canada’s top CEO’s worth the $6.6 million average annual salary they receive? That’s the multi-million dollar question they apparently would rather not answer.

This week Star reporters contacted the 100 highest paid CEOs — either directly or through their spokespeople — asking them to explain why they believe they’re worth compensation packages that in 2009 ran as high as $24 million.

Still, the contrast with the average Canadian income of $42,988 remained eye-popping. On average, CEOs earned 155 times more than these Canadians.

I find it interesting that there are shareholders organizations who are pushing for regulations to allow shareholders to have a say on CEO compensation. I thought they always had that vote...

Interesting story from the Star, seems to come up every year, so consider this the 2011 version:

I find it interesting that there are shareholders organizations who are pushing for regulations to allow shareholders to have a say on CEO compensation. I thought they always had that vote...

Members of the board of directors have a vote but normally not average shareholders. It depends on a corporations charter. So you end up with a situation almost like we have with government where a small group of insiders at the top make decisions to benefit their pals and your average guy is left scratching his head and wonder WTF theyre thinking.

As for your question though you would really have to look at things on a case by case basis. Lots of executives definately do earn their huge salaries and lots dont.

Correct. They do. Whether the have enough votes is another story.

I've got no problem paying CEO's $6.6 million per year. The problem I have is that we can't grab $6 million or so of it in income taxes.
I have a problem with your logic, Eyeball. It seems that you favour theft.

-----

I wonder about something else.

How much should we pay genuine originality? To incite others, to offer the right incentive, how much should we reward another Einstein, Newton or Leibniz? To have another Gauss or Edison, what prize should we offer?

Fame and celebrity seem now so cheap.

Edited by August1991

Guest TrueMetis

I have a problem with your logic, Eyeball. It seems that you favour theft.

-----

I wonder about something else.

How much should we pay genuine originality? To incite others, to offer the right incentive, how much should we reward another Einstein, Newton or Leibniz? To have another Gauss or Edison, what prize should we offer?

Fame and celebrity seem now so cheap.

The same we payed the original ones, pretty much nothing but gratitude. And if they really are the next Einstein, Newton, Leibniz, Gauss or Edison they will be happy with that.

Gee...I feel the same way about commercial fisherman who exploit a natural resource. Tax them at 95%.

Yeah, commercial fishermen can't get any respect anywhere anymore it seems, the last time I fished I got .15 a lb and the quota-holder(s) I was forced to lease quota from got $3.50. According to the bureaucracy that created the quotas for these so-called slipper-fishermen, they were some kind of wise, competitive innovators who needed to be rewarded...for being that way apparently. I think it was really just because it made the bureaucrats jobs easier to get rid of thousands of fishermen.

As for my income, I'm not certain to the penny, but it looks like about 50% of it goes to the beloved state (and Province) so I guess I shouldn't complain if 95% is what some people think is fair for someone like myself.

I'm pretty sure that'll be the last time I ever fish again, I sure as hell can't afford to whore myself out for .15 a lb, not at my tax rate.

Or the damn quotas which are one probably of the most innovative wealth creating creations on the planet.

Farmers plant crops and manage the yield....timber folk plant and manage the forests...so what do you do...just not fish or adhere to a quota? That is not much of an investment.

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Farmers plant crops and manage the their yield....timber folk plant and manage the forests...so what do you do...just not fish or adhere to a quota? That is not much of an investment.

People who get rich planting crops or catching fish are to be respected - to give huge bucks to a man simply for making huge bucks and nothing else is not to be respected. If it does not provide food and shelter than it is simply a fraud.

Guest TrueMetis

Gratitude? Uh, you're wrong.

True Metis, most innovation in life began when someone gained a benefit - unless by "gratitude", you mean a benefit. No?

The people you listed never gained a real benefit from their research, other people did but the most any of them got was fame and gratitude. A lot of it not coming until after their deaths. The people you listed for the most part learned for the sake of learning. The exception to this being Edison, well sort of My link.

Why on earth is this in morals and ethics? Should be in business....

Anyway, for those that are interested...

Beginning on Jan. 21, 2011, most domestic public companies will be required to submit their executive compensation to a non-binding shareholder vote. This requirement is mandated by new Section 14A(a) of the Exchange Act, which was adopted as part of Dodd-Frank. Specifically, beginning with this year’s annual meeting, companies will be required to:

Submit named executive officer compensation to a non-binding “say on pay” vote at least once every three years and

Take a non-binding shareholder vote on the frequency of the SOP vote (this “say on frequency” vote must occur at least once every six years).

http://www.srz.com/files/News/bc215eaa-ba8b-4f52-97b1-d956eb8d7f28/Presentation/NewsAttachment/27956ce3-02cb-43a9-a90b-09527feb5441/011111_Say_on_Pay_and_the_2011_Annual_Meeting.pdf

This of course is US law...which means we could see it here in a few years. Personally, I don't think thses things should be non binding, although you piss off your owners at your peril.

No. I didn't make that obvious enough for you?

No you said your butt gets sniffed as often as not...I just assumed you like a nose between your bottom cheeks.

I have no idea. It sounds like it's a condition of employment where you work.

Amongst the millions of things you haven't a clue about, but fantasize instead, are my employment conditions... :lol:

G'day Comrade Bonghit