Will Sun TV News be Good or Bad for Canadian Democracy?

shelphs

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You talk like a North Korean ...

I don't know why sending somebody to an institution of supposed 'higher learning' is a solution to the ignorance problem in this country. Those institutions regularly spread ignorance. They churn out a misinformed product that has more interest in Lady Gaga than in the issues of the day.

This is an interesting comment. Since it has been amply proven the institutions of "higher learning" do not spread ignorance, but actualy comabt it, your comment is thus ignorant. This reveals some things about you, least of which is your complete lack of humour.

And, by your use of the phrase "a misinformed product" I believe you might be a bit of a sociopath too. Kind of like Jethro meets Dalmer.

See CanCon Rules and Howard Stern!

As I suspected, the CRTC never banned Howard Stern. Whatever actions were taken were taken by stations themselves or by the CBSC, a non-government industry self-regulating organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Canada#Howard_Stern

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1999/DB99-554.htm

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1998/DB98-213.HTM

As I suspected, the CRTC never banned Howard Stern. Whatever actions were taken were taken by stations themselves or by the CBSC, a non-government industry self-regulating organization.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sirius_Canada#Howard_Stern

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1999/DB99-554.htm

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/archive/1998/DB98-213.HTM

Read the fine print:

Sirius Canada later announced that Howard Stern's two channels, Howard 100 and Howard 101, would not be available to its Canadian customers. Naturally this has generated negative response from Canadian fans of Stern, some of whom have claimed that they would not subscribe to any service absent the two Stern channels. According to Gary Slaight, CEO of Standard Broadcasting:

The CRTC, who we are licensed to, would eventually force us to take Stern down, because we have standards we have to abide by in this country when you own a broadcasting licence.[5]

The Canadian Sun News TV channel has been dubbed Fox News North and when it debuts on January 1, 2011, it will duplicate the Fox News 24-hour news channel format of news/opinion programming, which is a type of programming that has never been done before in Canada.

Your premise is completely wrong. The format of news/opinion programming has definitely been done before in Canada. And still is. It's called CBC. It just may not be the opinion you agree with. :rolleyes:

Bad for democracy? I'd say media owned and controlled by the government is worse for democracy than private news organizations offering a combination of news during the day, and then opinion usually during the evenings.

Was Al Jazeera Canada bad for democracy? Cause I don't remember those questions being asked. I guess there's a bit of selective outrage going on out there.

Read the fine print:

Sirius Canada later announced that Howard Stern's two channels, Howard 100 and Howard 101, would not be available to its Canadian customers. Naturally this has generated negative response from Canadian fans of Stern, some of whom have claimed that they would not subscribe to any service absent the two Stern channels. According to Gary Slaight, CEO of Standard Broadcasting:

The CRTC, who we are licensed to, would eventually force us to take Stern down, because we have standards we have to abide by in this country when you own a broadcasting licence.[5]

Thats odd. I listen to Howard almost everyday...

I wonder if Sun TV will adhere to the same standards as Fox news.

Are you referring to these standards?

Watching Fox News leaves viewers less informed and more prone to believing misinformation, according to a study conducted by the WorldPublicOpinion.org at the University of Maryland.

While regular consumers of news were found to be more informed on issues surrounding the 2010 Senate elections, daily Fox viewers were significantly more likely to believe incorrect information on the economy, climate change and whether or not U.S. President Barack Obama was born in America.

Are you referring to these standards?

LOL. Another so-called "study" in another attempt to undermine Fox News. It's become quite a trend. You'll find that the institutions and individuals responsible for conducting these "studies" have a vested interest in de-legitimize For News. They begin their studies with that very intention, and make sure the outcome matches their intent. It's getting kind of old. :rolleyes:

LOL. Another so-called "study" in another attempt to undermine Fox News. It's become quite a trend. You'll find that the institutions and individuals responsible for conducting these "studies" have a vested interest in de-legitimize For News. They begin their studies with that very intention, and make sure the outcome matches their intent. It's getting kind of old. :rolleyes:

Funnier still....they want to project a dubious study of "Americans" on the potential impact to Canadians.

I actually agree. I doubt that even the people who work at Fox News consider it to be a legitimate news source, so I'm not sure why anybody would spend good money on stating the obvious.

I actually agree. I doubt that even the people who work at Fox News consider it to be a legitimate news source, so I'm not sure why anybody would spend good money on stating the obvious.

They'd probably disagree. It's just some people don't understand that Fox News does regular news during the day, up until 5pm. Then does regular news at 6pm. But after that it's opinion journalism. Just like MSNBC and CNN. Even CBC tends to do that now.

They'd probably disagree. It's just some people don't understand that Fox News does regular news during the day, up until 5pm. Then does regular news at 6pm. But after that it's opinion journalism. Just like MSNBC and CNN. Even CBC tends to do that now.

True...I don't know why this simple concept escapes the self anointed "smart" people.