Cutting The Cord -- How to leave cable companies?

August1991

I have dabbled with several media extenders including AppleTV, Roku 3, WD Live, a RaspPi setup, an XBox and a Wii. Every box will play Netflix and YouTube. A couple can be setup with Hulu in Canada, but not many. All can play some stored media content, though some only handle a few formats. Some allow you to play games and others do not. Some, like the XBox, require that you pay for a service in order to use online features. In short, every box has both pros and cons. They all do some things very well but not everything.

What I really wanted was the power of a PC hooked up to every TV in my house, but without the cost and power consumption. Recently, I found out about mini desktop PCs. They are tiny fully functioning PCs, that use 80% less power than a laptop and are capable of running actual operating systems. The problem is they can still be a bit pricey. However, I ended up finding this Asus eee box on Kijiji for $100. It was cheap so I decided to test it out. I added this mini-keyboard/track ball setup though I only paid $29 and now I have the perfect media box for my needs.

I was worried about the Intel Atom processor but it has proven to be adequate for a media box. I can now use any media streaming service, play any stored file format from my network, surf the web, check my email, play online games, use an office suite, etc. I think in the near future SmartTvs will be fully functional computers that will run your choice of OS.

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

With the Chromecast (assuming you have a relatively new computer) you can mirror your laptop browser to to the TV wirelessly.

Also at $35 you can buy one for multiple TVs in the house and have them all connected to the same network. Or just simply unplug the device and move it to another TV.

That graphic isn't 100% accurate. Season one of Homeland is available on Netflix. I'm currently watching Season 2 on Bravo on old fashion cable.

Also Big Bang Theory not being on any is pretty weird. It's one of the best comedies on TV.

Edited by Boges

I am changing my viewing habits to suit the Netflix model because a show watched 2 years after it was aired is still new content if you have never seen it before.

But once you're caught up, wouldn't you like to see the most recent shows? I started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix but had to watch it week to week once new episodes started coming out.

But once you're caught up, wouldn't you like to see the most recent shows? I started watching Breaking Bad on Netflix but had to watch it week to week once new episodes started coming out.

I delay watching by one year. For example, I have watched 3 seasons of Walking Dead. The 4th season will be available sometime before the 5th season starts and that when I watch it. I end up waiting just as much as I would have to wait if I was watching the show live but I get it with no ads. Edited by TimG

I do both. I use Netflix for movies, older shows that I didn't watch when they were new and exclusive shows like House Of Cards and Orange Is The New Black. I then use Hulu+ for current content. Though, I am finding I care less about current content than I used to. The Hulu shows I watch are almost exclusively time sensitive content like Colbert, The Daily Show, The Tonight Show, etc.

I have a Roku 3. If you are going that route I recommend buying one in the US with the US firmware. It is fast and has some decent features but the Canadian content is weak, you're really just limited to Netflix and YouTube. The US device will allow you to use Hulu+ and Amazon.

Edited by Mighty AC

I have a Roku 3. If you are going that route I recommend buying one in the US with the US firmware. It is fast and has some decent features but the Canadian content is weak, you're really just limited to Netflix and YouTube. The US device will allow you to use Hulu+ and Amazon.

Well, it's too late for me. There's really not much at all for Roku right now.

With the Chromecast (assuming you have a relatively new computer) you can mirror your laptop browser to to the TV wirelessly.

Also at $35 you can buy one for multiple TVs in the house and have them all connected to the same network. Or just simply unplug the device and move it to another TV.

Sounds like it does exactly what my Apple TV does at less than half the price. I can mirror my laptop, phone, or iPad on the TV wirelessly. The only downside to the AppleTV is that you don't get to choose apps for it, but I've never felt the need to. I get a bunch of stuff on it already and I don't have to worry about buggy apps that crash. You sure as hell can't go wrong with $35 though. I like that. If I didn't get the AppleTV as a gift, I would probably get one these Chromecast boxes myself.

Well, it's too late for me. There's really not much at all for Roku right now.

Here is an article about changing the Netflix region within a Roku box. I may try it out and see if I can access some US apps. http://www.avforums.com/threads/guide-roku-changing-netflix-regions-quick-and-easy.1776722/

You also need a Proxy to get Hulu in Canada. I've read the Roku has hundreds of apps available. Most are services which, I believe, you have to pay for.

There are many apps and games available for the Roku but most are pretty weak. A VPN or browser extension that spoofs a US location is necessary for HULU but when dealing with the app this usually only has to be done once, during setup. When used through a browser it will check your region every time.

Another cool aspect of the Chromecast is that anyone with an iOS or Android mobile device can control it. So if you have lots of movies or pictures on your phone, you can cast them to someone else's TV.

Does browser mirroring work well now? An early criticism was that it was quite buggy.

Here is an article about changing the Netflix region within a Roku box. I may try it out and see if I can access some US apps. http://www.avforums.com/threads/guide-roku-changing-netflix-regions-quick-and-easy.1776722/

We had a neighbour with a US IP address & wi-fi access... so we were able to watch American Netflix. Unfortunately, it's still Netflix.

Does browser mirroring work well now? An early criticism was that it was quite buggy.

Sadly I haven't been able to get it work on my computer. The plug-in downloads fine but I get a notice saying "Device missing" when I try to troubleshoot I am told that I need a PC running at least 2 Ghz of speed. My fairly old laptop only has 1.85. I'm assuming that's why.

I've reading mirroring on an Android device is coming soon which would mean I could stream internet content from my phone.

Edited by Boges

Roku is jumping on the bandwagon with an HDMI stick.

http://www.cnn.com/2014/03/05/tech/gaming-gadgets/roku-streaming-stick/

I'll tell you, as more people stream entertainment it'll be more appealing to the masses to be able to control what you stream from a PC or mobile device then the very old fashion thinking of a box that becomes obsolete very quickly. Roku is already on a 3rd version?

• 2 weeks later...

I ordered a Chromecast today, a friend confirmed that the browser mirroring bugs have been dealt with.

I also found out that the Roku box will re-flash with US firmware when connected to a US internet source. Thus it will run Hulu+ and other US only services. A colleague runs a two router setup at home. Off the first he setup a home and guest network using the Canadian internet signal. He then installed a VPN on the second router and setup a US WiFi network. He can now use US Netflix, Hulu+, Google Play, Amazon Prime, etc. for media content and still connect his other devices to a native signal.

This setup is a little more elegant that what I am doing with one router and a VPN so I plan to add a second one asap. He also used Tomato firmware on his second router rather than dd-wrt or open-wrt. I've never tried it but it sounds like a more user friendly option.

Edited by Mighty AC

With the SDK being made available. The apps that use the Chromecast has grown very quickly. I've found an app that can cast HTML 5 video from your phone to the TV.

Still trying to get live streams to work. Hopefully such tech is available by football season.

Edited by Boges