Where does YOUR local CPC candidate stand ?

With the prospect of a CPC government becoming more real with each passing day, we are told that a CPC government itself will not be introducing legislation on abortion, same-sex marraige etc. However, a CPC government will allow free votes on any issue not covered in party policy.

It's therefore very important for voters to be informed on how the local candidates stand on certain issues (I'll call them social issues here) that might be put to a free vote.

It's even more important, in fact it should be a requirement, that any CPC candidate express their views on social issues, since under CPC policy, they might be voting on these in the next session of parliament.

I checked my local candidate's website. He mentions the fact that a CPC government will allow free votes several times, but he doesn't offer his own views on any of the controversial issues that he will ostensibly be voting on.

MapleLeafWeb members - check your local candidate's website and tell us whether your CPC candidate says anything about social issues.

St. Paul's CPC candidate Barry Cline

-> nothing stated.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A quick scan of 10 random CPC sites finds that only ONE candidate stated his personal views on social issues.

Nine did not:

Barry Cline St. Paul's

Carol Skelton Saskatoon-Rosetown-Biggar

Victor Chan Vancouver South

John Koury Esquimalt - Juan de Fuca

Jesse Johl Vancouver-Kingsway (believes in accountability)

David MacKenzie Oxford County

Mike Wallace Burlington

George Drazenovic Burnaby-Douglas

(free votes a top priority)

Guy Lauzon Stormont, Dundas, & South Glengarry

Hats off to the one CPC candidate in 10 who states his views:

Garry Breitkreuz Yorkton - Melville

"dedication to issues such as the tradtional defination of marriage"

"defunding of abortions"

It's even more important, in fact it should be a requirement, that any CPC candidate express their views on social issues, since under CPC policy, they might be voting on these in the next session of parliament.

You are assuming that MPs will vote according to their personal opinions and not the opinions of constituents (however gauged).

It's an interesting exercise to find out the personal opinions of a candidate.

But keep this all in the right perspective. Harper has made plain that social issues will not be a priority for his government when compared to the fiscal issues he wants to deal with.

The reason social issues are taking such a place in this election campaign is because the Liberals and the NDP feel they can defeat the Tories this way. The Liberals in particular will use any means to keep power.

Why are'nt these questions being asked of liberal candidates. If you want answers on were a candidate stands on an issue go down to the campaign office and talk to him or her.

PUT HARPER DOWN AS NOT SUPPORTING WOMEN'S RIGHT TO CHOOSE

I.E. HARPER IS AGAINST ABORTION RIGHTS FOR WOMEN

Thats a lie, Harper in the past has been more pro-choice. He has also said that he is in the centre of the two extremes which means he is a moderate. You are obviously on the extreme angle.

You are assuming that MPs will vote according to their personal opinions and not the opinions of constituents (however gauged).

I found another CPC site of a candidate that had canvassed his constituents to guage how he would vote on a certain social issue, and stated it. Good for him.

But it seems to be more common for a CPC candidate's website to talk about accountability, or even (incredibly) free votes, then to not indicate what they're planning to do with their free vote.

It's an interesting exercise to find out the personal opinions of a candidate.

I'll say.

But keep this all in the right perspective. Harper has made plain that social issues will not be a priority for his government when compared to the fiscal issues he wants to deal with.

But he has also stated that he will allow free votes on CPC party non-policy.

As such, his candidates should be expressing their views or someone might think that they have a hidden agenda or something !

The reason social issues are taking such a place in this election campaign is because the Liberals and the NDP feel they can defeat the Tories this way. The Liberals in particular will use any means to keep power.

Of course they will. And Harper too will "made plain that social issues will not be a priority for his government ", which is to his advantage.

Well you won"t here much of the Tories Social Policies as Eric Chandler of the Conservative Party says Harper should Practice what he Preaches instead of Muzzling his Candidates and Party Members--Chandler says they should be honest and up front about their Policies instead of Hiding them.......Harper Issued a Gag Order Today to Conservative Party Candidates......

Anyway, I have e-mailed the North Bay Nugget asking for the entire article. My hope is to slip it to Paul Wells or Andrew Coyne. Sometime after the debate.
I was intrigued by that quote when that web site first went up. PM PM was not PM at the time, so I kind of dismissed the quote. I'd like to see the context.

If the NB Nuggest answers, post it here too.

I followed the invasion of Iraq quite closely; I never heard Paul Martin come out with a statement like that. However, I did hear Harper whine that we should be there with "our American friends". It is Harper who will have us up to our necks in American sehenanigans.

The USA has again ignored a Nafta ruling favouring Canada regarding softwood. Just as they did with a similar ruling by the WTO. It is Harper and the Conservatives that would look to complete the sell off of Canada to the USA that Brian Mulroney already accomplished during his term in office.