capital punishment

PIK

Denis Lortie

If you think that someone diagnosed with schizophrenia would receive the death penalty at trial, you're a fool. Wouldn't happen. So he would have received the exact same punishment that he did even if Canada had the death penalty.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wrongfully convicted man gets $4.25M from Ont.

William Mullins-Johnson spent 12 years in prison after he was convicted in 1994 on evidence from the doctor that suggested he had raped and strangled his niece, Valin.

Mullins-Johnson was exonerated by the Ontario Court of Appeal in October 2007 after it was determined the child died from natural causes.

In overturning Mullins-Johnson's conviction, the court found there was no evidence he was guilty of any crime.

Bentley apologized to Mullins-Johnson for a "miscarriage of justice."

Not a single person advocating the death penalty is going to explain what we would do in this case? Does the State send flowers to the family? Do they pay them money? Does the Justice Minister have a ceremony to pray for the soul of the innocent person they executed? What would be the remedy?

This man would have been dead. But you can conveniently ignore this case and keep on cheerleading for the death penalty... :rolleyes:

If you think that someone diagnosed with schizophrenia would receive the death penalty at trial, you're a fool.

It'll help your debate if you try name calling. You'll look smarter.

So he would have received the exact same punishment that he did even if Canada had the death penalty.

Not exactly. SAME would be shooting him whereever and then watch him die slowly.

So should we arm schizos with automatic guns while persecuting duck hunters?

Edited by Saipan

Well, under this federal government the debate won't happen, minister is totally against. IF a person kills another person why shouldn't that person give up their life for doing so. I would think with today tech. more people can be proven innocent or guilty. As the victim, that person would be paying financially to have that person in jail for life, so they are paying twice.

Atta boy Topaz....we'll make a Conservative out of you yet! ;)

It is not the punishment method that works.

It is the way how the system designed that controls the crime rate.

When a system that has defined too many behavior as crime, so that too many people be defined as criminals, that simplify the legal peocess only according to the finial action, do not care about the fundamental reason that make lots of people to perform those action that has been listed in the criminal code, don't think more on making poor people able to live better life on their own, don't punish those who legaly bully others and rob others legaly, and kidnap others legaly, there will be people who will risk to crime, who will become mantally ill, who can not control their anger, who will do extream for money, and more.

The way to reduce crime rate is to make the society more fair, make more people more happy, no punishment can solve the problem if you youself don't like to be threaten.

Edited by bjre

No, he was convicted of two murders. His sentences were all mashed together. Effectively everything he did works out to one murder conviction. Our system basically says "Every victim past the first one is a freebie." He should be serving 50 years before he gets to apply for parole. He killed two people, he should serve the two sentences.

Yes.

Contrast Williams' sentence to the first degree murder conviction sentence handed down today to a Canadian who murdered his step-daughter in Washington State.

Peter James Wilson, who was convicted of slitting his 5-year-old stepdaughter's throat in a rental home near Lake Cushman in June, was sentenced to 55 years in prison today, KIRO 7 Eyewitness News reporter Richard Thompson said.

http://www.kirotv.com/news/25478021/detail.html

This POS will probably request to be moved to a Canadian prison and then who knows how soon he can apply for parole under Canadian law.

One murdered child, killer sentenced in Washington State...55 years.

Two murdered women, killer sentenced in Belleville Ontario...25 years.

There's something wrong with our system. For multiple convictions, I want concurrent sentencing to be replaced by consecutive sentencing.

I don't claim that our system is perfect but is anyone seriously claiming that the American system is working better??

No but no system actually works properly. Keep in mind this is supposed to be a "justice system", and what we have tried to turn it into is a penal system. The focus has left the crime and been centered on punishment. That is our first mistake, but not our last as this debate will soon prove.

I don't claim that our system is perfect but is anyone seriously claiming that the American system is working better??

I like the longer sentences handed down in the US (such as the case I linked) and their system of serving consecutive terms for sentences handed down for multiple crimes.

I like the longer sentences handed down in the US (such as the case I linked) and their system of serving consecutive terms for sentences handed down for multiple crimes.

Did you know that 1% of the US population is in prison. If you include remand, city, county and state jails it's way more. They have their famous war on drugs. And it's not working.

I used to be a real "Hang-em High" type. Just like Harper et al are now. But a horrible thing happened. Some hard facts hit me in the face. That approach doesn't work, is expensive, and is counter-productive. Do a little research on criminality.

Edited by RNG

Yep...and that's just where the US wants them. Don't do the crime if you can't do the time - Baretta

And other than costing you a whole bunch of money, what are you accomplishing? Taking amature criminals and turning them into professional criminals?

Did you know that 1% of the US population is in prison.

That tells me that 99% of the US population is law abiding. Sounds like a pretty record to me. How do they do it? :huh:

Do a little research on criminality.

No thanks. You're doing a fine job of acting as this thread's social conscience and I'll leave it at that.

That tells me that 99% of the US population is law abiding. Sounds like a pretty record to me. How do they do it? :huh:

No country has 99% law-abiding citizens.

But if your question is serious, you should be asking people of the countries with a smaller percentage in prison than the US has...like Canada.

A prettier record. How do we do it?

Edited by bloodyminded

No thanks. You're doing a fine job of acting as this thread's social conscience and I'll leave it at that.

It has nothing to do with social conscience. It is all about trying to make the world a better place for my grandchildren. The costs of incarceration vs. the benefits need to be watched carefully. Simon Fraser U has a bunch of really neat stats. Look at them sometimes.

By the way, I believe that assholes that rob convenience stores and assault the staff should be dragged to a dumpster and a .22 injected behind their left ear.

No country has 99% law-abiding citizens.

Of course, I know that. For one thing, there's that whole question of unreported crime to consider. A couple of years ago, one evening there was an attempted break-in into my condo while I was present. When he realized someone was home, he ran off. I never called the cops because the chances of apprehending him for that infraction were just about nil. Nevertheless, the perp remained free to break into another dwelling. So no, the number of incarcerated criminals does not equal the number of criminals roaming the streets.

But do you think that it's working better, in the sense that it has created a safer, more peaceful society or even a more effective and efficient justice system?